The 2024 Trade Deadline

9 hours ago, Malike said:

MLBN is trash lol. Oakland would hang up so fast.

image.thumb.png.8316f28341d9655eba9a8434be594d06.png

That would be a very bold trade for Elias, turning one of the better young closers in the game to an outfielder.   I guess they liked his bat coming out of the draft.  lol

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

@sportsfan8703

The Scherzer deal ….would you trade Bautista if the deal included Teodo ( instead of Stephan) and maybe a younger DSL type pitcher? 

Trading Bautista is a hard no, I don't know why anyone would even suggest it.  He is a shut down closer when healthy and there are very few of those in the entire game.

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What about a trade for Kirby Yates, the closer for the Rangers.  He's on a 1 year/ $4.5 mill deal, so the price wouldn't be exorbitant.  He's having a great season, 0.92 ERA, w/ a 0.92 WHIP and 1.79 FIP.  His 2 pitches are a 4 seam fastball and a splitter.  I have to admit I'm not familiar with him.  Good fit for the O's?

Yates (37) could be a very solid rental.  He was lights out great as the 2019 Padres closer with 41 saves.  He then missed most of 2020, all of 2021, and most of 2022.  He came back and pitched well for the Braves in relief last year.  This year he has been great again, looking like the guy he was in 2019. 

Yates has a very nice statcast page.  He would certainly be one to watch.

He has 2 red flags though.

One is that his HR/FB% is 0%. That is obviously a bit lucky and not likely to sustain, especially when you look at his career.

Second is that he has a high BB rate although it’s better than last years even higher walk rate.

Still, he has usually been a very good pitcher in his career, so he is certainly someone worth going after.

What would a Yates/Scherzer package cost? I'm sure the Texans will try and give it until closer to the deadline to regain some ground on the WC race, but they are 8.5 games back right now. 9th in OPS in the AL and 9th in ERA. Nothing really screams that they will go on a run to make to back. The smart move would be to trade expiring pieces.

34 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yates (37) could be a very solid rental.  He was lights out great as the 2019 Padres closer with 41 saves.  He then missed most of 2020, all of 2021, and most of 2022.  He came back and pitched well for the Braves in relief last year.  This year he has been great again, looking like the guy he was in 2019. 

I’d be contacting the Rays about Cleavinger and Kelly 

11 minutes ago, G54377 said:

What would a Yates/Scherzer package cost? I'm sure the Texans will try and give it until closer to the deadline to regain some ground on the WC race, but they are 8.5 games back right now. 9th in OPS in the AL and 9th in ERA. Nothing really screams that they will go on a run to make to back. The smart move would be to trade expiring pieces.

I don't know what the answer is to your question but this is exactly what we need IMO.  I think it probably takes Norby + a couple lesser ranked prospects.  Ideally I would rather trade Stowers + but I doubt that gets it done.

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don't know what the answer is to your question but this is exactly what we need IMO.  I think it probably takes Norby + a couple lesser ranked prospects.  Ideally I would rather trade Stowers + but I doubt that gets it done.

The Rangers have Seager, Semian and corner outfielders locked up for a while. I’d think they would want pitching prospects back in return instead. 

3 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Would you do McDermott and Stowers for Scherzer/Yates?

Would prefer to hold on to McDermott but if we had to I would do this deal.  I really like the idea of Burnes, Scherzer and Grayson starting in the playoffs and we need BP help.  These guys make a real difference on our WS chances without giving up any of our top tier prospects. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So are you saying Scherzer and Yates or Scherzer or Yates. Usually / mean choice.

I meant for both. Although thinking about it, Texas would probably want Beavers, they have the corner OF spots covered.

One great idea that has been discussed throughout the thread is that adding a late inning reliever/closer should be much less expensive than the starters.  Get through this season with an addition or two in the pen and then get Bautista back next season.  I'm confident that Elias will make it happen.