The 2024 Trade Deadline

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You said Kremer was a fine regular season pitcher but we saw what happened to him in the playoffs.  Now, you’re doubling down saying you want no part of him in the post season.

Are you assigning some amount of weight to his one post season start?   

Yes.  Don't we agree on that we'd rather not have Kremer start a game 3 or 4 in the playoffs?  You want to debate wording and how we got here?  If so, have a W.  It's cool with me.  haha

My preference would be a trade acquisition to start game 3, and Suarez/pen in game 4.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Yes.  Don't we agree on that we'd rather not have Kremer start a game 3 or 4 in the playoffs?  You want to debate wording and how we got here?  

My preference would be a trade acquisition to start game 3, and Suarez/pen in game 4.  

I’m debating your wording because it makes no sense.

I think Kremer or Suarez are fine game 4 starters for the playoffs.  We just need to find a guy for game 3.  We still have the least number of holes as any team in the American League.   The Yankees have a god awful bottom of the order lineup and few struggling starters lately in Rondon and Gil.  The Red Sox have a terrible defense and just an average lineup especially if Devers shoulder starts flaring up more.  The Guardians starting pitching is a major issue and lineup still lot of questions.  Is Fry going to continue to hit way above his average in majors and minors.  The Mariners have great rotation but only really Raleigh Crawford and Rodriguez are a threat with bat and JRod has lost his power.  
We have a great 1-2 in the rotation, a pretty good 4-5 combination as well.  The bullpen is solid but could use another high leverage reliever. The offense is fine and will put up 4 or 5 runs most nights.  There really isn’t a place to upgrade and if there is you have guys in minors that are ready.   We just need to add a number 3 starter and one high leverage reliever.  If Coulombe isn’t coming back then possibly another lefty might help as well. 

27 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Yes their ERA July’s  7 games is high but it is almost like there is an outlier in there.  They have given up 38 earned runs in the month and 19 of them game in one game.  The other 6 games they gave up 19 er or just slightly over 3 a game.   The top guys in the rotation and the top bullpen guys have been great this month.  Those will be the guys pitching in the playoffs not Povich, Akin, Tate or Baker.  

That’s a way to interpret the data. Another way is that Burnes and Grayson have been saving the rotation. 

It’s not just 19 run game though. 14 to Astros, 8 to Astros, 10 to Guardians, 11 to Rangers, 9 to Cubs. The last 4 times through the rotation we have had at least one blowup/no -competitive start going back to June 21 (first game against Astros).

I hope that you are right about who will be pitching in the playoffs. Normally you need four starters for a 7 game series.

Thankfully the Yankees pitching has been worse. Rodon has gone back to being the terrible guy that he was last year. Gil has regressed big time since that Dodgers start, and Cole has been a mess since his return.

Right now Kremer is a distinctly inferior option to Fedde and Suarez, based on how they are pitching this season.  Things could change between now and October, but Kremer's performance in past years (regular season or postseason) is irrelevant to whether he should be in our postseason rotation this year.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Right now Kremer is a distinctly inferior option to Fedde and Suarez, based on how they are pitching this season.  Things could change between now and October, but Kremer's performance in past years (regular season or postseason) is irrelevant to whether he should be in our postseason rotation this year.  

Fedde with 5 shutout innings today against Minnesota with 16 swings and misses. ERA down to 2.99 and WAR up to 2.6 in 111.1 innings (Burnes is at 2.5 WAR in 112.2 innings). Fedde may not continue being this good, but his success has been a lot more stable this year than Kremer’s has the last 2 years based off their peripherals. 

To go along with his ERA and WAR, Fedde has a 3.54 FIP, 3.84 xFIP, and 3.58 xERA. Since 2023, Kremer has been worth 1.7 WAR in 231.2 IP, with a 4.20 ERA, 4.64 FIP, 4.27 xFIP, and xERA’s of 4.93 and 5.50. There’s no question who the better pitcher is currently and it’s not even close. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I said around .500. As a matter of fact, they are one game under .500 before they played the Astros.

Have you checked out the ERA for the month of July? Spoiler alert ... it's 5.75. 

I know you like to do the "gotcha" thing when it comes to me. But yeah, I checked the facts. 

Since June 21 the day we entered the Astros series, we are allowing 6 runs a game

Is that accurate enough for you?

Your post was factually inaccurate on multiple accounts.  

Yes, I've checked their July ERA.  I've also checked their monthly ERA for the last 9 months and they are remarkably consistent.  They allowed half their ERs on the month in two outings.  You don't think those numbers will normalize?  I tend to think they will return to the mean.  Maybe I'm wrong, but again - they been consistent for 9 months straight, so I see no need to go into panic mode.  

It's no surprise that the worst stretch of baseball they've played this year resulted in allowing 6 runs per game.  You are saying that this is the new normal and they will continue to play this poorly?   I don't see that.  I see it for what it is.  A SSS during a bad stretch of baseball.  That tends to happen in a 162-game season. 

I got to see some of the Fedde game - he had bases loaded none out in the Top of the 1st after ~25 pitches but escaped the jam.    35 first inning pitches became 90 through 5 innings.

Good game 1 of the doubleheader for Chris Getz - John Brebbia struck out two against the heart of the Twins lineup in the 8th, and Michael Kopech teased with an immaculate inning against the bottom of the order in the 9th.