what is your expectation of Povich today?

It would make me happy to see him give us 4 decent innings, and maybe strike a few batters out. But my expectation is fairly low. He hasn't pitched too well in his last couple of starts in Norfolk, and I wonder if he too, might be slightly hurting. I'd love to see 4 runs 5 hits 3 runs...and maybe 3 K's. I just hope he can get past the first couple of innings relatively unscathed. What say you?

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I hope he goes five innings allows three runs and strikes out five.  

I fear he goes 1 2/3 with 1 k and five Walks and gives up six runs.

We can hope for a little better than that, no? 

My expectations are low.  My expectation is that he’ll fall behind a lot of batters and either walk them or have to come in on 3-1 counts.  My expectation is that he doesn’t make it through the 4th inning.  Hopefully, I’m wrong like most of the time.   If he can finish 5 innings at 4 runs or less I’d be ok.  If he can give us a quality start I’d be pretty happy.  If he can do that and we win I’ll be ecstatic.

It could be a solid 5, since it is the first time many have seen him in person. That said, I don’t expect that, but it can happen. Having McCann behind the dish will help him to navigate his butterflies and execute. If he keeps us in the game, maybe 3-4 runs allowed, and keeps the K/BB around even or better, that would be solid for me. 

Kikuchi’s savant page has a lot of blue. Some red too, he sure doesn’t give up a lot of walks, but enough blue that I think we can take him. It would be nice to have a 10-run T 1, but any runs at all would be splendid.

I never go into a rookie pitcher’s debut with any particular expectations.   At times, we’ve seen amazing debuts from pitchers who were non-prospects or secondary prospects; we’ve also seen some (not all) very poor debuts from highly touted prospects.  It’s all over the map.  I really just want to see how Povich presents himself, what his arsenal looks like when you watch him closely, how he responds to adversity, etc.  His future won’t be determined by one game, and his performance today could be great or disappointing and it would only mean so much.  

Its always hard to know what to expect from a major league debut. Chris Waters and Mike Wright had some of the best major league starting debuts that I can remember as an Orioles fan and neither had the stuff or prospects status of Povich.

Adrenaline can be a good thing or a bad thing if it's not handled correctly. Since we have no way of knowing how Povich will handle this moment, it's hard to have any real expectations of what he'll do. 

I'd like to see him get through 5 innings with less than 3 runs allowed. That would be a success to me. 

He's coming off his worse start of the season, but so was Albert Suarez. He's got major league stuff as we've seen in his statcast data. The command is the issue and that's what we'll have to see when he takes the bump tonight. Either way, I'm looking forward to his debut.

I’m expecting to see a lot of curve balls.  It will be interesting to see how those pitches play, how much whiff he gets, and if the MLBers lay off them.   My guess is 5ip 5k 2bb 2 er