Guthrie season splits

Sports Guy

True. But, I'm not going to dismiss the fact that he's tiring after a long season with more IP than he's used to throwing at the ML level. I didn't say it's definitely the reason, but it's an option. Only time will tell.

The problem is, if he is already tiring and has been for a few weeks, that is a terrible sign.

We are talking about JULY here...Tiring in July? That is unheard of especially for a guy who is in such great shape like Guthrie is.

After the WS start, i wondered if he had a dead arm....I fully admit the possibility of a dead arm. But his velocity is there. The ball is up more which, in a game situation, usually means tired..However, it could also mean that he is just regressing to his normal self.

I think the problem is people look at the early season Guthrie and think that is what Guthrie is....Maybe not the stats but the stuff and things like that.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the problem is people look at the early season Guthrie and think that is what Guthrie is....Maybe not the stats but the stuff and things like that.

His ERA is 3.14 in early August. I will give him several bad outings in a 2 month stretch and see what he does the last 6 weeks.

BTW, not sure how he can have that great stuff for three full months and then all of the sudden not have it. He has great stuff, it is his command that could be the issue.

His ERA is 3.14 in early August. I will give him several bad outings in a 2 month stretch and see what he does the last 6 weeks.

BTW, not sure how he can have that great stuff for three full months and then all of the sudden not have it. He has great stuff, it is his command that could be the issue.

Could it be that he's getting close to career highs in innings pitched and the dog days of August... ?

It is 3.22.

Dead arm periods don't normally last 6 weeks.
I'd understand the logic of your argument more if he was consistently lousy for six weeks. Instead, in four starts from July 17th - August 7, he pitched to an ERA of only 2.59. Two of those starts were against the Red Sox and Yankees.

Through tonight(nine starts since July 1):

48.2 IP...5.55 ERA...3.9 BB rate...6.5...1.6 command rate...2.22 HR rate

Actually it's 50.2 IP, 5.33 ERA, 3.7 BB/9, 6.2 K/9, 1.67K/BB, 2.13 HR/9

Since August 1:

14IP, 9.00 ERA, 3.9 BB/9, 5.8 K/9, 1.50 K/BB, 3.86 HR/9

July 1 thru Aug 1:

36.2 IP, 3.93 ERA, 3.7 BB/9, 6.4 K/9, 1.73 K/BB, 1.47 HR/9

So as you can see, the last 3 starts drastically affect his splits since July 1. Remember his last 3 starts were AT Boston, Seattle, and AT MFY. Three tough starts for a pitcher that has lost velocity and command because he's tiring

He pitched 8 innings with only 2 ER today, and people still want to bang the drum that he must be tiring.:cool:

Late in the game thread, IHeartMASN put up the "Leo Speaks" quote on this issue. He said things like, "a bunch of baloney"... "another excuse"... "just more stats"... and "we talk'em into it [thinking they're tired]"... he made the announcers laugh...

Did you see Mazzone's interview today Tony?

They asked him about Guthrie tiring and he said it was ridiculous...Basically said it was bs.

Of course he's going to say that? Why admit to a weakness? Yes Guthrie is reaching his max IP so it's logical to believe he's tiring, which means a propensity to lose command.

Of course he's going to say that? Why admit to a weakness? Yes Guthrie is reaching his max IP so it's logical to believe he's tiring, which means a propensity to lose command.

He should be over to go 35-50 IP over the last season especially a guy who is in as good a shape as Guthrie is.

Archived