Tampa Series: Four at the Trop

Spy Fox

I have never been to the Trop, but on TV it looks a pleasant enough place. I know…the location. I  spent a year  commuting on the bus between Clearwater and St. Pete. In between stopping at the county jail and several malls, we drove past the Trop on the freeway. But it was more than the awkward location that kept me from ever seeing a game there during my year in the Suncoast.

18 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I have never been to the Trop, but on TV it looks a pleasant enough place. I know…the location. I  spent a year  commuting on the bus between Clearwater and St. Pete. In between stopping at the county jail and several malls, we drove past the Trop on the freeway. But it was more than the awkward location that kept me from ever seeing a game there during my year in the Suncoast.

I’ve never been to the Trop, but I’ve vacationed in St. Pete the last three springs.  The Trop is an easy walk to a really nice part of town with tons of restaurants, bars and shops.  Getting to St. Pete from Tampa and other nearby cities is a hassle, especially at rush hour, but within St. Pete itself the Trop is well located. The proposed new stadium is not far from the Trop, so nothing about the convenience/inconvenience of the location is really going to change significantly.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’ve never been to the Trop, but I’ve vacationed in St. Pete the last three springs.  The Trop is an easy walk to a really nice part of town with tons of restaurants, bars and shops.  Getting to St. Pete from Tampa and other nearby cities is a hassle, especially at rush hour, but within St. Pete itself the Trop is well located. The proposed new stadium is not far from the Trop, so nothing about the convenience/inconvenience of the location is really going to change significantly.  

I've been to the trop.

Went to a gun show there once.

32 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Curiosity killed the cat - tell me more about why you visited the jail.

On 6/8/2024 at 3:57 PM, ChrisP said:

I’ll be in section 113 tomorrow behind the Orioles dugout. I’m excited to see Grayson in person. 

Yes, I’m quoting my own post. It was easily 50/50 Orioles fans there. I’ve at least a dozen ballparks and the Trop is just and ugly and depressing place to play/watch a game. I don’t know how they catch popups for fly balls. 
I was in Miami a few weeks ago and the fans were into the game big-time….never felt like it for the Rays “fans”.

Grayson had no feel for his curve today and “labored” through 5 perfect innings. The batters were on a mission and just waited for their pitch. 

Hopefully they complete the sweep tomorrow. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Curiosity killed the cat - tell me more about why you visited the jail.

It was the bus route. The ladies who got on before and the dudes who got on after were awesome. Well, sad really, as I got to hear their sad sack stories. The jail  stop was the bus driver’s coffee break. We sat there for 10 minutes. 

Edited by Chavez Ravine

Watching all those O’s fans at the Trop made me think of the many lean years where Yankees and Red Sox fans would strut around Camden Yards, be much louder than our own fans, and then be standing up cheering as their teams put us away in the 9th.  God, I hated that.  I hope our fans are less obnoxious than those invaders were, though I can see that they’re not shy about supporting the O’s.   

• Upvote 1

Let’s get greedy!  A four game sweep would be sweet.  

This will be the Orioles’ first look at Ryan Pepiot, the prize return of the Glasgow trade.   On a quick glance, he’s been solid if unspectacular so far.  He’s limited base runners but has been less successful (though still decent) limiting runs for some reason.  He seems like a guy who could have a very good game on any given day.   Pretty pitch-efficient too.  The O’s will need to show some patience.