How important is this Yankees series, really?

Frobby

There’s a line in a movie where the hero is asking the bad guy what his number is. And he explains that everybody has a target amount of money, and once they reach it, they can relax and take their ease and he says, “What is your number?” 
And the guy smiles and answers, “more.”

That’s how I am with the Orioles’ record. I want “more.”

We have suffered appalling records, ridicule, laughter, a team with six designated hitters and three pitchers. “Turnabout is fair play.”

I want more. I want to win every game. I want to win 162.

I would like to win them all against the Yankees.

So yes it matters.

• Upvote 1

I lean towards being unrealistic when it comes to the MFYs.  Every single game is important - only a complete sweep is satisfying.  The losses being humiliating for them is my preference. Saying that, I do hope we win today. 😉

The pressure now really is on the Yanks.  We are up 4-2 in season series.  A win today would give us huge lead in season series (5-2) needing only 2 of the last 6 to take the season series and tiebreaker which could come in play with no game to break tiebreaker.  Win the series and it like an extra win.  

This series my not ultimately mean anything in the long range of this season. But, the message the Orioles sent is loud and clear. WE are a class team and organization managed by a class individual who has molded his troups in his fashion. We didn't just beat the Yaankees, we exposed them for the second class individuals they are. I have never been as proud of my Orioles as I am tonight. 

One other thought off observation. IMO, some team is going to dump a lot of money on Soto this off season and rue the day. He is a child with a lot of talent but if this series is any indication - his defensive skills are really suspect and his immature attitude sucks so in that sense he sure fits the Yankees well.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Osornot said:

I lean towards being unrealistic when it comes to the MFYs.  Every single game is important - only a complete sweep is satisfying.  The losses being humiliating for them is my preference. Saying that, I do hope we win today. 😉

ok... today is more like it lol

June 18 (O's lose 4-2) - This series isn't all that important

June 19 (O's win 7-6 in extra innings) - Well, this series has some importance in the standings

June 20 (O's throttle Yankees 17-5) - Obviously the most important regular season series in 2024

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Admittedly, that was quite an impressive butt-kicking.  That should leave at least a small dent in the Yankees’ psyche.  

Yankees have a series this weekend against the Braves.  It'll be a good test to see how much we broke them.

• Upvote 1

It is an AL East series vs our main competitor.  Always good to win those esp when it is vs the Yankees.  We are the intimidater in the East these  days,  after all these years.  Wondered if I would live to say those words.  

I didn't dare dream of going 4-2 against the Phillies and Yanks.  6-3 including the Braves.  Be interesting to see how the Yanks do.  They are already 1-2!

Edited by Cuellar35
Edit

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Admittedly, that was quite an impressive butt-kicking.  That should leave at least a small dent in the Yankees’ psyche.  

I was thinking about this thread as I was out and about, listening and kept checking the box score when I could and the runs kept going up in our favor., made me wonder , maybe this series doesn’t mean as little as it should.   Maybe it does mean more.  Maybe this does shake just a little bit of the pinstripes collective confidence. And stiffens all of our other opponents a bit. And maybe that does mean more than we think.  

Probably not in the aggregate, but still love the “laugher” anyway!     

This is one amazing season so far.   Enjoying it immensely!!!

Every head to head game against your biggest competitor for the division is important. Winning the season series is also very important for the tie breaker as we saw last year. I would say that’s the biggest thing.