Maton Up, Stowers Down

DirtyBird

15 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Did you mean they don't care about Stowers? Cuz that's kinda how it feels to me. However, I can see a case for them making it seem like they do by stating, "We think Kyle should get everyday ABs, just not for the Orioles." They probably don't say that last part out loud.

They care about winning more than they do Stowers development at this point IMO. Doesn't mean they don't care about Stowers, but that's in the second tier in terms of development versus performance now trade-offs. We all like the winning. 

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

How much trouble is Ramon Urias in for getting picked off last night?

The O's just lives with that.   With all the runs that Urias has saved with him glove  he has value.

16 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

If you look at the match-up stats, our best performers against Cole are Mullins, Hays, McCann, and Urias.

Boy, if that’s not a harbinger of Doom, nothing ever was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

They care about winning more than they do Stowers development at this point IMO. Doesn't mean they don't care about Stowers, but that's in the second tier in terms of development versus performance now trade-offs. We all like the winning. 

Are you implying they can't win with Stowers? The case can be made Stowers was not used as much as he should have been when brought up during Hays stretch of ineptitude. He still hasn't seen any time vs lefties except a few ABs. I don't think they see Stowers as a long term piece, which is fine. But then trade him or package him with others who will net a return that actually does move the needle. 

Santander, Hays and Mullins are not long term pieces either. Santander could be, but he's getting expensive and I'm not sure his best days are ahead of him at this stage. It's arguable that Mullins help them win now (except from a defensive standpoint) and same with Hays to a lesser degree, but from an offensive perspective.  In any case I'd take Stowers over either of them when it comes to making the team more competitive.

Santander is gone after the season and he could net a potential difference maker for the playoffs and a real chance at the WS, which is the goal. He likely continues to help them win this season and beyond, but at what cost. He certainly has more value in trade talks.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Maton has been good in AAA. 

.294/.387/.483 - .869 OPS

But why him? Maybe they think he can regain his 2022 form, because 2023 was abysmal. 

He's been very good in the minors, but not so good in the MLB.  He was 0 for in spring training.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

He should not be in trouble for a blown call.

It wasn't a blown call. There should not have even been a play. Urias was looking into the stands like a little leaguer.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I would have thought Norby would be a better player to choose.

Norby has only been down 7 days....without a IL move by someone on the 26 man roster they can't call him up.

• Upvote 1