Vet players: who would be a mistake to move on from this season?

Sports Guy

Vet Players  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which vet player(s) would be a mistake to move on from?

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There was a Pickles flare up late last week.  Treated it with an antibiotic.

Didn’t know it was that easy.  Thanks.   I’ve been suffering needlessly.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias is not going to pay Mullins 10m+ next year to be a defensive backup.   He either starts or he is gone IMO.

He’s got the rest of the year to prove he’s a 10M starting CF.   Not looking too good at the moment.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

For me, it's O'Hearn.

Santander is nearly 30. He's a great DH, but a subpar defensive outfielder. He's making nearly $12m. He reminds me of a Nelson Cruz Lite. I'd bring Santander back if he'd be willing to do something like a 3 year/$36m deal. Great culture guy. The interesting thing is the O's have a plethora of OF/DH types that could replace him. Heston Kjerstad is a good example.

In order for me:

1. O'Hearn
  2. Santander
  3. Mountcastle
  4. Mateo
  5. Mullins
  6. Hays
  7. Urias

Actually Santander hits poorly as a DH and it's been that way for years.  He hits much better when he plays a position.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I think this thread is just about making room for Holliday. 

Trade Hays - if there is a clear RH OF upgrade.

Urias moves to make room for Mayo.

I think you can manipulate options on Cowser & Kjerstad the last 2 months of the season to make a roster spot for Holliday.

Then, in the playoffs carry 14 position players:

1. Adley
2. McCann
3. Mountcastle
4. O'Hearn
5. Westburg
6. Gunnar
7. Mayo
8. Santander
9. Mullins
10. Cowser
11. Kjerstad
12. Hays
13. Mateo
14. Holliday

If I recall correctly, MLB roster rules say you must carry 13 pitchers and 13 hitters.  

• Upvote 1

The good is that we can figure something out if any of these guys aren't on the team for whatever reason.  

Maybe another way to frame the question is:  Whose WAR is least replaceable?

WAR/PA has O'Hearn in the lead on this list.  A couple of shots on goal to replace a LHH though (HK, Stowers) and he's the lowest value-add defensively IMO.

Mounty has a 1B replacement in O'Hearn.  But a replacement RHH MOO is just Mayo.

Santa is a steady force and has a certain veteranosity aspect too.  Switch-hitting impacts roster construction too.

I guess I go with Mounty as my answer...

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So I don’t think any of these guys make or break our chances.

That said, I would look to keep Mullins because we need the back up CFer and his speed could be important.

I would want to trade one of the 3 of Mounty/OHearn/santander.

I don’t like losing good players for nothing but I think Santander has some clubhouse importance that matters and you are trying to win. I think there’s a good chance the Os re-sign him although I think that’s a bad idea.

I like the role Mateo is in and feel he has playoff value.

So for me, I would look to trade Hays, Urias and Mounty. I feel Mounty has importance but at the same time is also the easiest to replace because of Mayo plus, Mounty may be able to be a legit piece in a trade for something you need.

Mayo, OHearn, Westburg, Holliday, Gunnar, Adley, McCann, Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad, Mateo, Santander and Norby

Stowers traded as well.

What I have seen of O'Hearn defensively  at 1B he is poor compared to Mounty.   What makes you think Mayo is any better defensively than O'Hearn.  Trade Mounty and you have two sub par defensive 1B.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

What I have seen of O'Hearn defensively  at 1B he is poor compared to Mounty.   What makes you think Mayo is any better defensively that O'Hearn.  Trade Mounty and you MAY have two sub par defensive 1B.

FTFY

And I’m ok with that risk.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s got the rest of the year to prove he’s a 10M starting CF.   Not looking too good at the moment.

I was responding to the thought that Mullins would be kept as a backup CF next year.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I was responding to the thought that Mullins would be kept as a backup CF next year.

Right.  You said they’d only keep him as a starter.   I’m saying that’s looking very iffy at the moment.