I sort of don't get Elias's plan

gtman55

45 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The refusal to address the obvious pitching deficiencies through free agency is baffling. The lowest payroll in baseball last year, so free agency should be the first option. We sign Kimbrel and that’s it. Not even depth moves for the rotation or bullpen.

The reason is that John Angelos was still the Orioles owner during that period . 

9 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Suarez was a FA depth move.  He has covered 53ip @ 2.70 era.  They knew they needed one additional SP at trade deadline as is still the case. 

They started the season with:

1. Burnes

2. GRod

3. Kremer 

4. Wells

5. Irvin 

6. Suarez

7. Bradish IL

8. Means IL

9. Povich

10. McDermott

Four of those are on the IL & 3 of those aren’t coming back this year.  They are into their deep depth now, but that is why they had 10 guys stacked up.  When Kremer comes back they will have 6 guys who can start.  They will pick up another starter before the deadline.  I think it’s more or less gone as they expected.  

But counting on Irvin or Wells to contribute to the rotation in the off-season was not the type of move you make if you’re trying to win a WS. It’s great Suarez has been a contributor, but I could see that running its course very soon. He knew Bradish and Means were unlikely to be healthy for long. I get there were payroll limitations with previous ownership, but I don’t believe he was so hamstrung he couldn’t bring in depth for the pitching staff. Plenty of guys got 1-2 year deals and we showed no interest. Stroman, Gibson, Wacha, Lorenzen, just to name a few. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

But counting on Irvin or Wells to contribute to the rotation in the off-season was not the type of move you make if you’re trying to win a WS. It’s great Suarez has been a contributor, but I could see that running its course very soon. He knew Bradish and Means were unlikely to be healthy for long. I get there were payroll limitations with previous ownership, but I don’t believe he was so hamstrung he couldn’t bring in depth for the pitching staff. Plenty of guys got 1-2 year deals and we showed no interest. Stroman, Gibson, Wacha, Lorenzen, just to name a few. 

That was essentially my point in the first post. Our plan with offense has been great. I questioned Elias's pitching plan knowing Means and Bradish had elbows,Wells was unreliable  and no Felix. I just don't think Suarez off the trash heap and an aging Kimbrel plus Burnes (who is great) was enough for a WS contender. A very short sighted plan.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, waroriole said:

What team went out and spend significant resources to sign a #6/7 SP option, particularly one that is/was better than Irvin and/or Wells?

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

What team went out and spend significant resources to sign a #6/7 SP option, particularly one that is/was better than Irvin and/or Wells?

They wouldn’t have been the 6/7 SP. They would’ve been in the OD rotation because he knew Bradish and Means weren’t gonna be in the OD rotation. 

The Orioles have full capacity to resign Burnes. Teams that do not have this same escape: Dodgers, Yankees, etc..luxury taxes are maxed out.

Competition is taxingly luxurious. The Blue Jays may be in play, but Burnes is an easy Oriole $200m man with outstanding incentives to make a play for the Orioles  Ace. The National’s Scherzer signing is a perfect example for the Orioles to go O’s!

Easy move and decision!

4 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

The Orioles have full capacity to resign Burnes. Teams that do not have this same escape: Dodgers, Yankees, etc..luxury taxes are maxed out.

Competition is taxingly luxurious. The Blue Jays may be in play, but Burnes is an easy Oriole $200m man with outstanding incentives to make a play for the Orioles  Ace. The National’s Scherzer signing is a perfect example for the Orioles to go O’s!

Easy move and decision!

I agree that they do.  I would.

Will they?

Iffy. At best.

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

I wasn't talking about tonight, I was saying it's not fair to keep a deserving guy in the minors!!

Who are you going to take off the team to add Mayo?  I am guessing the general answer here will be Urias.  He is a veteran who plays good defense.  He would have to be DFA’d.  I don’t think they are ready to do that.  Maybe after a trade they will create room.  The team is in first place 81 games into the season.  They have made good decisions so far.