Nice Roster management: Krook up, Burnes to Paternity list

Tony-OH

449340536_10100471010849021_286058072914187003_n.jpg.bea22f7204f695ef8cf318190a3e28be.jpg

Nice job by Elias to get an extra left-handed reliever up here and audition him for the Coulombe role. Krook has basically been Coulombe in AAA. Krook though has reverse splits getting righties out at a .167/.306/.283/.589 slash vs lefties at .257/.366/.371/.737. Vespi has been doing a good job but good to give Krook a shot.    

Just now, interloper said:

Might as well!

I don't love the 3.71 ERA as a reliever in Norfolk. He had a much better 1.32 in more innings last year for Scranton. But I know he had a pretty excellent stretch for awhile down there early in the year. 

It's basically a free bullpen arm.  If nothing else he available to eat some low leverage innings.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

449340536_10100471010849021_286058072914187003_n.jpg.bea22f7204f695ef8cf318190a3e28be.jpg

Nice job by Elias to get an extra left-handed reliever up here and audition him for the Coulombe role. Krook has basically been Coulombe in AAA. Krook though has reverse splits getting righties out at a .167/.306/.283/.589 slash vs lefties at .257/.366/.371/.737. Vespi has been doing a good job but good to give Krook a shot.    

Coulombe has 3 walks in 26 ML innings.  Krook has 17 walks in 26 AAA innings.   I hope and think we don’t see him actually pitch while he’s up here unless it’s a blow out.   

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Coulombe has 3 walks in 26 ML innings.  Krook has 17 walks in 26 AAA innings.   I hope and think we don’t see him actually pitch while he’s up here unless it’s a blow out.   

He'll clearly need to pitch in very low leverage before getting any opportunities in high leverage, but he was pitching very good overall outside of two games that makes his stats look much worse.

Now, saying that, both of them have been in June but he as pretty lights out before then posting a1.25 ERA and holding batters to a .189/.294/.243/.537 slash in 21.2 innings. 

Now, I agree that he's here to be an extra arm, but i also think he's auditioning just like any other pitcher who gets an opportunity. Vespi is certainly ahead of him, and he's most likely the guy is going to go back to AAA when Burnes returns before his next start, but this is an opportunity to leave an impression. 

Vespi has done quite well since given his opportunity once again and I would not be surprised if he continues that he could see higher leverage situations, especially when Perez or Akin are not available.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Westburg in LF would at least make room for a Gunnar-Holliday-Mayo infield. If he could turn into a CF that would be a bonus. 
    • This is against a LHP so I’ll cut him some slack but I believe he’s also in this position against RHP.   Look where his but is and look how far he has to reach, off balance, just to get the end of his bat to reach the outside corner. The problem, as I see it, and @OnlyOneOriole has touched on, is he does the leg lift and his first move is to open that hip instead of staying closed towards the pitcher.  The hip and butt are out.  He can still do damage on inner half stuff but he loses all his leverage when he has to reach for stuff on the outer half and he’s almost totally vulnerable to outside corner.   
    • Anyone remember Ken Levine?   He was Kevin Brown before Kevin Brown was born, with the pop culture references and that type of sense of humor. He was a longtime TV writer who had written episodes of M*A*S*H among other things but he dreamed of being a MLB radio PBP guy, and the Orioles gave him that chance for a year or so... maybe around 1990????    I don't recall him being a bad announcer, but nothing is really memorable about him after all this time except for him always trying to be funny.
    • What about year round workouts? Trying to maximize velocity? I agree the per game standards have been harsher but years ago in the winter baseball kids were playing basketball, resting etc. Now they have indoor workouts tweaking mechanics. 
    • Jon Miller and Joe Angel belong in the O's Hall Of Fame.  I guess Gary Thorne deserves to be in, I'm sorry I didn't care for him!  He got excited if either team had a key hit or play, and he was big on statistics.  He may be better than what we have today!
    • The Brewers' starter last night was lefty Rob Zastryzny.   I guess an opener, he went one inning.   He was in camp one year with the O's but didn't ever pitch for us, major or minors.   He's 32 years old and his inning last night means he has pitched in the majors 7 out of the last 9 years... for a grand total of 60.1 MLB innings.
    • When you’re thinking of building a statistical model to project success of a major league player, one thing you want to avoid is uncertainty. You need your variables to be predictable and applicable across a swath of data. When you look at pitching, the top arms today, don’t think of the outliers like Paul Skenes, instead look at what round they were drafted related to their current talent level. You will see a great number drafted not in the first three rounds.    Frankly, there are too many uncontrollable variables on the the road to pitcher success at the major league level. Theres injuries, there’s incorrect coaching, there’s incorrect application on the player to adequate coaching, etc.  A smarter team, which we thankfully are, realizes that not striking out on any of your draft picks is much more of a positive than drafting for a need, specifically pitching. Just look at Carter Baumler for example. He was drafted ahead of Mayo, has already incurred injury and no realistic timetable to be a viable major league pitcher. In short, it’s best to have the trade pieces of viable players to go out and pitchers that need a small change in stance, or coaching or environment to be truly great. We’ve seen that time and time again with Coulombe, Cano, Perez, the mountain, etc. Let the other teams take the gamble and strike out/give up on players, then sweep them up and strike gold.
  • Popular Contributors