Poll - Would you trade McDermott for Scherzer straight up?

sportsfan8703

Poll - Would you trade McDermott for Scherzer straight up?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Poll - Would you trade McDermott for Scherzer straight up?

14 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

I like Scherzer, but I think the team should focus on someone who is under control beyond the end of the season.  Unless ownership opens its wallet in the offseason, we'll be stuck trading for pitching again very soon.  Even if we do trade for someone controlled beyond the season it's almost definite we'll need more bullpen help or another starter.

Scherzer is a guy who could push them over the top in the PS. Burnes is leaving at the end of the year, yet they traded for him to be the ace of the staff. Max has been there before and the Rangers are looking like they're beyond a WC spot. His recent injury history concerns me. Does no good if they count on him to be a starter and his back (or something else that pops up) starts giving him problems. The stuff, though, still plays.

26 minutes ago, Philip said:

Kevin Brown is mainly the TV guy…he is inescapable, like that bad rash that just won’t go away.

I like your analysis of Kevin Brown , lol. I don’t listen to announcers during Orioles/Ravens games.  I rely on closed captioning . The stats on TV and my phone screens are helpful too

Trading for Scherzer would be a very Lunhow-era Astros move, so it's definitely something to monitor. 

I have some questions on whether the defending WS champs will be selling at the end of the month. It's still a long ways away. They probably should, obviously, but there could be some pride there with not throwing in the towel and "showing faith" in a WS caliber roster, etc, etc. 

Edited by interloper

On 6/30/2024 at 2:09 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would like to trade for Scherzer over about any other starter out there.  He's a rental, so the cost should be rental even compared to someone like Fedde, who seems like a one year wonder.  Scherzer of course has the upside to still produce a dominant performance I believe.  I've been on the Crochet bandwagon, but Scherzer could give the O's 90% of Crochet this year w/o the injury risk, innings limit, and huge prospect cost.

Scherzer doesn’t carry injury risk?  Surely you haven’t followed his last couple of seasons very closely.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

As of this post it's an exact tie with over 100 votes. Credit to OP for coming up with a reasonable trade proposal worthy of debate and discussion.

It's a good one for sure. I still haven't voted because I still can't decide. 

It's tough! 

I think I lean no because I have a feeling Scherzer can be had for less, or for multiple lesser guys. McDermott is a guy who could be crucial to the pitching staff late in the year a la Hall. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's a good one for sure. I still haven't voted because I still can't decide. 

It's tough! 

I think I lean no because I have a feeling Scherzer can be had for less, or for multiple lesser guys. McDermott is a guy who could be crucial to the pitching staff late in the year a la Hall. 

The edit I would make is for it to be anonymous, and allow you to change your vote.

Scherzer is scheduled to start on Th. If he has another 5 IP 2ER or less start then he probably prices himself out of McDermott. 

Things to consider from Texas’ perspective,

- They’re in the same boat as us going forward.  They need depth, but with their position group, they need pitchers that would have playoff start upside.

- As defending champs with a ton of unfortunate injuries, they might stand pat if they get within 4-5 GB of the playoffs.  Heck, maybe they pull an Angels and buy.  I heard Jung is coming back soon.