Poll - Would you trade McDermott for Scherzer straight up?

sportsfan8703

Poll - Would you trade McDermott for Scherzer straight up?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Poll - Would you trade McDermott for Scherzer straight up?

I don't like the idea of moving an arm we have under control for 6 years for an arm we would have under control for 3 months.  Especially since there are a ton of question marks on that arm of the 3 month rental.  I think McDermott could be a pretty special pitcher if things fall into place.  I'd hold on to that lottery ticket.  I'd look to move someone else at a position of redundancy.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2024 at 10:19 AM, Allan Bryant said:

I like your analysis of Kevin Brown , lol. I don’t listen to announcers during Orioles/Ravens games.  I rely on closed captioning . The stats on TV and my phone screens are helpful too

So you don't have MASN and only click on highlights, so you use closed captioning for the highlight videos?  Never even thought of doing that, didn't know you could select CC for video clips.  

What stats "phone screens" do you use, out of curiosity?

I like Max Scherzer, think he would be a nice get. But no, I don’t trade McDermott for him. To me both he and Povich are keys pieces to pitching depth moving forward. 

So i’m saying I would be in favor of going after Max, but I would be looking to trade from another pool other than our young pitching to get him

1 hour ago, justD said:

So you don't have MASN and only click on highlights, so you use closed captioning for the highlight videos?  Never even thought of doing that, didn't know you could select CC for video clips.  

What stats "phone screens" do you use, out of curiosity?

I have iPhone and click on right , the menu or settings , look for CC or closed captioned, click select . I do the same thing with wall mounted flat screen, click settings , then click closed captioning again . I don’t have cable tv , so live streaming apps only available for now 

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2024 at 1:41 AM, Allan Bryant said:

Unfortunately I’m not familiar with him or  others on TV or radio. I don’t have MASN either . Have to click on highlights of games . 

Ahhh OK. That makes sense. He's probably on the TV broadcasts more than most. You've definitely heard his vice if you've seen enough highlights. 

5 hours ago, PHRESH said:

Ahhh OK. That makes sense. He's probably on the TV broadcasts more than most. You've definitely heard his vice if you've seen enough highlights. 

I agree with you that his voice is audible to everyone ( mostly) on this forum . The only little detail is that I happen to be deaf . That’s why my settings have closed captioning on and I depend on reading , not voices 

• Upvote 1

I think we could get Scherzer for less than McDermott. The hidden cost here, if you think about it, is the opportunity cost of acquiring a less injury prone starter. What happens if you can get Scherzer for a cheap price like Jean Pinto and Hudson Haskin? You do it in a heartbeat... but if you don't acquire another starter and Scherzer goes down in September it's a fail.

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

An alternative... also from the Rangers:  Nathan Eovaldi.  FA after this season but has a $20m vesting option for 2025 if he throws 300 innings combined between '23 & '24.  It'll be close.  Between Scherzer (40 this month) and Eovaldi (34) who would you prefer? 

Eovaldi has higher WAR 1.7 to .50 than Schezer , he’s younger w/ vesting option for 2025 . Which I assume he would cost more than Scherzer .  Both are better suited as #3 starters ( postseason) than Kremer , Suárez & Irvin . Just my opinion