What makes Basallo so untouchable?

CP0861

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

You think Kremer is a #2/#3 starter??  

He has had #3 starter production for a while.

Since 2022, Kremer has started 62 games. He has averaged about 5.2 Ip per start, has a sub 3 BB rate and a 3.83 ERA.

Thats a #3 in today’s game. Hell, that’s a #3 in most eras.

Thats not to say I trust him to be a third starter in the playoffs but that’s as good or better than what most teams get out of a #3 starter.  He had a 121 ERA+ in 2022 and a 99 last year. This year it’s not great but it’s also a SSS.

Hes basically a middling, league average guy.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

If I were Crochet and had a really bright future and was throwing at a Cy Young level after not pitching for 2 years you'd have to pay me a lot of money if you wanted me to possibly ruin my arm this year for you.

Yep, which is why he wanted the contract extension.  What does that tell you guys?  He knows he’s a big risk.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

If I were Crochet and had a really bright future and was throwing at a Cy Young level after not pitching for 2 years you'd have to pay me a lot of money if you wanted me to possibly ruin my arm this year for you.

Why wouldn't they suspend him?  Wouldn't that freeze his service clock?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I get that, but there's little evidence to support pitch limits in games or for the season correlates to injury prevention. If I was him I'd be concerned for my health, too. It's a reasonable position. Again, he's not the only guy available.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Why wouldn't they suspend him?  Wouldn't that freeze his service clock?

It appears that he has an agreement in place in Chicago. I sort of doubt that the team that trades for him isn't aware and doesn't respect it. In fact, I'd wager most teams are going to err on the side of caution with their most valuable assets. If a team says screw you, you're throwing till your arm falls off, maybe he "suddenly" starts missing in the middle of the plate at 90 MPH over and over.

8 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

Sheesh. I literally posted his actual 2024 stats. If you're going to make a claim, back it up. What exactly was wrong? You've posted nothing but opinions in every response.

As I said in the OP, "But why exactly?"

So again, what exactly was wrong?

"but he has been on a tear since then"

He's 12-51 in the last 14-15 games with a single dinger. That's a whopping .235.

Where's the tear?

You are poo pooing everything people are saying. You are acting like his age doesn’t matter. It’s the whole basis for the discussion…his age along with his production. 

If you go in the other Basallo thread(s) you will see the charts that have been posted about guys with his wRC+ at his age in the minors.  There aren’t many names on the list and many of them are elite stars.

What he is doing (ok he’s in a slump right now..everyone had them) and what he has done is not normal.

Just now, Malike said:

It appears that he has an agreement in place in Chicago. I sort of doubt that the team that trades for him isn't aware and doesn't respect it. In fact, I'd wager most teams are going to err on the side of caution with their most valuable assets. If a team says screw you, you're throwing till your arm falls off, maybe he "suddenly" starts missing in the middle of the plate at 90 MPH over and over.

See, that kind of thinking is what I'm talking about!

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

And they suspend him.

And he tanks his value.

• Upvote 1

Good hitting catchers with strong arms  are hard to find.   They give the teams that have them an edge.

I don't expect Basallo in the majors until 2026.   Look how long Elias kept Westburg and Mayo in the minors.  Basallo needs time to work on his defense.

2026 will be the beginning of Adley's 5th year.    By the end of 2026 Elias has to decide if he is going to extend Adley deep into his 30s or trade him.    

Basallo will have the 2026 season to learn from Adley.   Sounds about right to be.

I would not trade the edge that Basallo will  give the O's going into the future.

• Upvote 2

Just now, wildcard said:

Good hitting catchers with strong arms  are hard to find.   They give the teams that have them an edge.

I don't expect Basallo in the majors until 2026.   Look how long Elias kept Westburg and Mayo in the minors.  Basallo needs time to work on his defense.

2026 will be the beginning of Adley's 5th year.    By the end of 2026 Elias has to decide if he is going to extend Adley deep into his 30s or trade him.    

Basallo will have the 2026 season to learn from Adley.   Sounds about right to be.

I would not trade the edge that Basallo will  give the O's going into the future.

Basallo isn’t spending over a full year in AAA unless he has injury or performance issues

When you consider that he was signed as a 16 year old with what I'm guessing would have been limited training and compare that to where he is now...I really would be hesitant to trade him.

Imagine where he would be if he had the resources that a lot of the young draftees from the States had. There's a lot of talent in the top 10, but he will be moving up the list as the season goes on.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You are poo pooing everything people are saying. You are acting like his age doesn’t matter. It’s the whole basis for the discussion…his age along with his production. 

If you go in the other Basallo thread(s) you will see the charts that have been posted about guys with his wRC+ at his age in the minors.  There aren’t many names on the list and many of them are elite stars.

What he is doing (ok he’s in a slump right now..everyone had them) and what he has done is not normal.

Ugh. No I'm not. Literally the last response I just made to someone else was "fair enough"

I'm simply asking for more substance than "he's 19 and in AA"

And "not normal" isn't saying much. Slightly above average could be considered not normal. He's doing very well for his age, but let's not act like he's putting up superhuman numbers.

1 minute ago, CP0861 said:

I'm simply asking for more substance than "he's 19 and in AA"

Age at level is just one column on the statsheet, but it's maybe THE most substantial one to look at. 

I understand the question you're asking in this thread. I think the argument SG and others are making could be said more gently as, you're acknowledging but still underrating how important the age aspect really is. Good performance at younger-than-level ages isn't just a nice feature, it's a huge indicator of future greatness. 

• Upvote 1