Roll Tide

Would you do this deal?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Proposal Menrioned in opening post

• Yes
    • No
    • If they’d swop Brebbia for Kopech
    • Add Brebbia for a couple young DSL guys with upside

JUSTgottaBELIEVE at Pale Hose Talk suggested…..    https://www.soxtalk.com/forums/topic/116409-cease-to-padres-per-passan/?do=findComment&comment=4618225

Norby + Beavers seems like a fair deal for Fedde + Kopech

Seems pretty reasonable to me …. Hopefully Fedde doesn’t regress and Kopech is reinvigorated by a change of scenery.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I looked at Brebbia who has 1 more year of control. His FIP indicates that he’s much better than his ERA.

Even if you believe in FIP, it’s still over 3 every year. He’s worse than what we already have. 

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Even if you believe in FIP, it’s still over 3 every year. He’s worse than what we already have. 

He’s better than Akin 2 of the last 3 years (using FIP)with a pitiful defense. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I have negative interest in Kopech. I don't really trust Fedde but haven't seen him pitch this year. Could be a Jack Flaherty repeat.

How is it a repeat….Flaherty had a near 5 ERA when we picked him up. It was like trying to catch lightning in a bottle type move.

Probably not. I have been a fan of acquiring Kopech but he is a mess right now and while we may be able to change him, we may not have enough time to do so.  At this rate, Kopech will be non tendered in the offseason and you can get him for less money.

Fedde has some statcast numbers that I like but still not sure I trust him.

I don’t think this is asking too much for the market but I would rather use these players on something else.

In the absence of any other deal, I may do this but Fedde is way down the list on guys I would go after.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Probably not. I have been a fan of acquiring Kopech but he is a mess right now and while we may be able to change him, we may not have enough time to do so.  At this rate, Kopech will be non tendered in the offseason and you can get him for less money.

Fedde has some statcast numbers that I like but still not sure I trust him.

I don’t think this is asking too much for the market but I would rather use these players on something else.

In the absence of any other deal, I may do this but Fedde is way down the list on guys I would go after.

Spot on analysis. Absent any other move and this is the only possible trade we could make 1 hour before the deadline then I would do it. With time to see what else is out there then I would hold off. 

I would put Fedde in the tier under Scherzer and Kikuchi. Crochet and Skubal are in their own tier for better or worse. 

I like Fedde. I worry about the comp he’s faced, but I didn’t hold him going to Korea and figuring it out. I think he might just be another Kremer, but I don’t mind that. 

Would we want him starting game 3?  If not, then why trade for him?  That’s the question. 

32 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

JUSTgottaBELIEVE at Pale Hose Talk suggested…..    https://www.soxtalk.com/forums/topic/116409-cease-to-padres-per-passan/?do=findComment&comment=4618225

Seems pretty reasonable to me …. Hopefully Fedde doesn’t regress and Kopech is reinvigorated by a change of scenery.

Any somewhat reasonable suggestions for Crochet?  I'm assuming there's a lot of Mayo + Basallo + 3 or 4 good prospects would be fair type deals.

34 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d do that just for Fedde.   Beavers is having a very disappointing season and Norby might be a 2B, might be a LF, might be a good ML hitter.   Neither is really in the plans at the moment.   You can say what you want about Fedde.   He’s been a very consistent #2 on a terrible team and has another year of control.   Just what we need and still plenty of ammo for other trades.

Kopech has been pretty frustrating to watch but he’s no worse than the 6-8 guys in our pen and we know he can be much better.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Any somewhat reasonable suggestions for Crochet?  I'm assuming there's a lot of Mayo + Basallo + 3 or 4 good prospects would be fair type deals.

They think one of Mayo or Basallo and Kjerstad is the starting point, like Callis said.

They may be right…but it’s a dumb thought for the Os or any other team to risk that much talent for the gigantic risk that is Crochet.

• Upvote 2

For me, it’s an easy yes and I’d probably go for the enhanced package to add Brebbia for a couple DSL players (excepting Jordan Sanchez, Adriander Meija, Elvin Garcia, Keeler Morfe, and Esteban Meija).

- Fedde is probably similar to Kremer or maybe a slight notch below, but better than Suarez and Irvin I think.  He improves the 4 spot in the rotation this year and next year with the extra year of control.  If he gives us a 4.15 ERA over this year and next, that may not be sexy but it is valuable.

- Kopech “stuff” modeling metrics are off the charts - he is 5th out 157 qualified relievers.  He has a 3.39 SIERA. He’s controlled through next year. Perhaps, most importantly, he can be optioned this year.

- Brebbia has a a 2.75 SIERA, 3.14 FIP, and 3.19 xFIP. His Stuff+ is 105.  He makes our bullpen better.

- All three will benefit from better defense with the Orioles.

- I’m not super high on Norby or Beavers.  I’m not sure what Norby’s carrying took is. Theoretically, it’s his hit tool but he is striking out 29% of the time. He is also not a particularly patient hitter.  He has middling exit velocities and most of his AAA home runs wouldn’t be home runs at Camden Yards. His defense has been known to be a weakness.  Beavers is far from a sure thing to stick in the MLB at all, much less become an average regular or better.

I’m not sure the White Sox make this deal but I would (particularly if it transacted now and we got an extra month).

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I’d probably want to isolate Fedde in a trade and make it less complicated. Norby and McDermott seems fair for him. 

I believe Fedde has 2.5 season left. So that’s 3 playoffs. Similar to what Bud Norris had when we traded for him.