Orioles acquire Colin Selby

Sports Guy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Malike said:

But you brought O'Hearn into the discussion, right? Okay, back to my little fantasy.

In the sense of, KC had a thought that a player wouldn’t work for them in the past, so they aren’t infallible in those choices.  And we have a recent example of that on our team.

Relievers recently acquired by the Orioles (with major league experience):

• Colin Selby
  • Burch Smith
  • Nick Avila
  • Levi Stoudt
  • Thyago Vieira
  • Corbin Martin
  • Yohan Ramirez
  • Andrew Suarez
  • Jonathan Heasley
  • Craig Kimbrel
  • Tucker Davidson

I may be missing somebody. Obviously, Craig Kimbrel was the signing that had every intention of immediately helping the major league club. But to date, none of the other guys have actually been effective at the major league level for the O's or have made it back to the big leagues for them. The jury is still out for Burch Smith, we'll see.

I hope Colin Selby can help the O's. His stuff sure is interesting. But these signings generally are there for depth, tinkering, etc. All that said, it's been awhile since the O's have hit on one of these relievers a la Coulombe, Perez, Cano, Webb, Krehbiel...even Baker. They were so good on at least turning one of a half dozen or so into reasonably effective/useful arms for the big club. 

We'll see. 

24 minutes ago, Malike said:

Look man, I know you don't like to be wrong but it's okay. It just proves you are human. You don't have to personally attack me because you got caught in a lie just now.

I'm still not convinced he's human.

• Haha 1

I wonder if the O's are going to see how effective Selby can be by changing how he leverages his fastball. With his diminished velocity (97 last year, 94 this year), he probably can't afford to live like this:

image.png.811bf08cf07f181eb365cee6c95ca387.png

Chances are they'll have him live more with the sinker/slider/curveball combo. If that's the case, he could be a Cano type with the grounders and keep the 4 seamer as a change of pace pitch out of the zone. Now, he's only thrown his 4 seamer 22 times this year, but he's lived too middle/middle with it. 

He does seem to fit the profile of the kinds of pitchers that the O's like in relievers: strikeout stuff with heavy sinker usage. 

I'm intrigued. 

9 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

(97 last year, 94 this year)

In 22 four-seam pitches this year.  It's normal to have some variation.  And don't recall where the stabilization point is for pitches.  It's probably pretty low.  It at least provides some hope for a bit more juice...

• Upvote 1

Don't anyone get your hopes up; he was optioned to Norfolk. The Tides are where decent players go to rot in Purgatory forever, while such luminaries as Cole Irvin and Colton Cowser stay permanently cemented in the bigs. Pay no attention to our minor league rosters; you won't see anyone from there playing for the Orioles this year until roster expansion in September, and even then, it'll be the bare minimum and we won't be sending down anyone who deserves sending down, or DFAing anyone who deserves to be DFAed.

23 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I'd just like to state that I think I was the first to wonder if they'd be shopping the "Cash Considerations Aisle."  I hope this is a good pick up.  I'm hopeful.

Why, I remember it as if it were only yesterday....

• Haha 1