O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many guys did well in 2021 and are out of the majors in 2024?

That's a lifetime ago in professional sports.

This trade isn't betting on a return to 2021.

Certainly not. I'd say the trade is betting that his last 9 starts are more instructive than his first 9 starts. Or really, that he is more like his April, June, and July starts than his May starts.

2 minutes ago, Go_Os said:

He's 26 and in 2021 he struck out 155 in 133 innings (2.55 ERA , 1.15 WHIP).  That is his upside and he is entering the prime of his career.

Age basically doesn't matter for pitchers before around 30.  Injury history and usage patterns are far more indicative.  You get pitchers ranging from journeymen to hall of famers that figured it out anywhere from 19 to 29

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TopGunnar said:

Some of these comments actually made me laugh. We simply can not continue to run out Albert suarez, Cade povich and the other rookie who just debuted. 

2 things can be true:

• We definitely needed an upgrade over Suarez/Povich/McDermott/Irvin for the rotation
  • Rogers isn't an exciting acquisition, and we overpaid in prospect capital for a back of the rotation arm with velocity issues even though he should be better than the guys listed above (hopefully)

So, is this guy better than Dean Kremer?  If so, why?   Seriously,  I'd like to know.  I don't follow the league like I did when I was young and have to admit I never heard of this guy before this week.  And  I like Dean as a major league pitcher.   Think he is pretty decent with flashes of upside like his last start.  Why do we want Rogers over Dean in the playoff rotation?  

1 minute ago, SouthRider said:

So, is this guy better than Dean Kremer?  If so, why?   Seriously,  I'd like to know.  I don't follow the league like I did when I was young and have to admit I never heard of this guy before this week.  And  I like Dean as a major league pitcher.   Think he is pretty decent with flashes of upside like his last start.  Why do we want Rogers over Dean in the playoff rotation?  

The two years of control absolutely played a big role here. Both in terms of value for Mike Elias and the return for the Marlins.

He cost more than I thought he would but I'm fine with this.  We are in a much better position the rest of the season and for next year in the rotation and I have to think our FO thinks they can get more out of Rogers.

OF depth is suddenly looking a little thin though. 

1 minute ago, SouthRider said:

I'm not so sure he's better than Dean Kremer. Kremer is a #4/#5. So is Rogers. To me, it was more important to get Eflin to push guys like Kremer further to the back of the rotation. Rogers was acquired to push Suarez into the bullpen. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, dzorange said:

The two years of control absolutely played a big role here. Both in terms of value for Mike Elias and the return for the Marlins.

Could Elias also be looking at the Flaherty deal from last year? Didn't work out for the O's in a short sample size. But they targeted the right guy.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

I'm not so sure he's better than Dean Kremer. Kremer is a #4/#5. So is Rogers. To me, it was more important to get Eflin to push guys like Kremer further to the back of the rotation. Rogers was acquired to push Suarez into the bullpen. 

I think this helps the O's more in the regular season than the playoffs, for the reasons you have here. But I do wonder if they see some potential value with Rogers in the pen, if it comes to that. If he outperforms Kremer as a starter, great. Let him be the #3 or #4 starter in the playoffs. But if Rogers treads water, could we see an uptick in velocity from him out of the 'pen for the playoffs, and also giving them another lefty option?

Elias is really in a lose-lose situation here.  He can pay what the market has established is the going rate for a starter or he can do nothing. People will bitch either way. You would think he traded Holliday for Trevor Rogers.