Orioles acquire Gregory Soto

eddie83

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Who goes for him though? 

Akin had to go because of numbers and because he had an option. So who goes if he comes up and Soto goes to "mop up". 

I think the Orioles are going to live with Soto right now, but he will probably have to do some mop up work for a bit. They certainly aren't going to give up on him after two bad appearances. 

Grayson to IL?  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Grayson to IL?  

To me there are 5 options for when Grayson goes to IL. In order of likelihood (IMO):

Akin
Irvin
Baker
Povich
Young

It will depend a lot on if they want to keep Suarez in the rotation. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

To me there are 5 options for when Grayson goes to IL. In order of likelihood (IMO):

Akin
Irvin
Baker
Povich
Young

It will depend a lot on if they want to keep Suarez in the rotation. 

In my mind, Suarez is a lock for the rotation spot, with Akin being a lock for the pen spot.  It's hard to argue with the on field results those two guys have had this year.

As for Soto, he just needs to execute and produce.  

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

The problem was he had seen the same pitch in the same location twice in a row before that. You can't give a professional hitter that many chances to get you timed up.

I believe Soto mentioned in his post-game interview that Adley kept calling for that same pitch in that at-bat. Maybe Soto should have shaken him off the 3rd time, but being new to the team, I guess he figured he would trust his catcher.

1 hour ago, rm5678 said:

I believe Soto mentioned in his post-game interview that Adley kept calling for that same pitch in that at-bat. Maybe Soto should have shaken him off the 3rd time, but being new to the team, I guess he figured he would trust his catcher.

Interesting. I've seen Adley do this before and it's maddening. Then again, I've always felt pitch calling was not his best attribute as a catcher.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He was an “old guy” in AA.

Gotta wonder if there was some shine off of him in the Os eyes to not promote him despite what appeared to be good results.

He also was going to be gone for nothing in the rule 5 draft.

Looks Seranthony Dominguez is on a contract through next year, so no decision there.  Meanwhile, Soto who is making $5M is arbitration eligible.  His stuff seems too good, albeit with command issues, but maybe he's tipping his pitches.  Do they agree to a lower amount and bring him back?  I'm guessing Kimbrell's option won't be exercised?

Edited by NedFromYork

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just noting perhaps the only bright spot from last night's lost to the Nats: Soto had a clean inning with a strikeout of Abrams. If he could get on a roll that would be big for us. 

I dunno why...and it could have been mentioned somewhere in this thread...but I get "Brad Pennington" vibes from him.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Soto is definitely no Andrew Miller but could Moises Chace be Eduardo Rodriguez?     Ouch!

9. Moises Chace, RHP, Phillies

Team: Double-A Reading (Eastern)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 13 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: The Phillies acquired Chace from the Orioles alongside Seth Johnson in exchange for Gregory Soto at the trade deadline. Chace has been very strong since joining the Phillies organization and threw his best start to date on Saturday. Chace tossed six scoreless innings allowing one hit, striking out 13 of 19 batters. After Chace allowed a hit to Rafael Flores with two outs in the bottom of the first he retired 16 consecutive batters to close his outing. Mixing a four-seam fastball at 94-96 mph, a low-80s sweeper and a low-80s changeup, Chace has three above-average shapes that all rate as above-average pitches per stuff+. (GP) 

Edited by RZNJ

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, Soto is definitely no Andrew Miller but could Moises Chace be Eduardo Rodriguez?     Ouch!

9. Moises Chace, RHP, Phillies

Team: Double-A Reading (Eastern)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 13 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: The Phillies acquired Chace from the Orioles alongside Seth Johnson in exchange for Gregory Soto at the trade deadline. Chace has been very strong since joining the Phillies organization and threw his best start to date on Saturday. Chace tossed six scoreless innings allowing one hit, striking out 13 of 19 batters. After Chace allowed a hit to Rafael Flores with two outs in the bottom of the first he retired 16 consecutive batters to close his outing. Mixing a four-seam fastball at 94-96 mph, a low-80s sweeper and a low-80s changeup, Chace has three above-average shapes that all rate as above-average pitches per stuff+. (GP) 

More than likely another power arm that breaks, or the Phillies flip him in a the year or two. The next EdRod, not likely. Great game at AA. remember when Big Mike tossed a no hitter at Bowie. These MiLB are a dime a dozen.

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

More than likely another power arm that breaks, or the Phillies flip him in a the year or two. The next EdRod, not likely. Great game at AA. remember when Big Mike tossed a no hitter at Bowie. These MiLB are a dime a dozen.

Next Erod?  Maybe not.  Dime a dozen?  I don't think so.  3 above average pitches, sitting 94-96.    Just turned 21.  Baumann was 23 1/2.