Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

7 minutes ago, Spakman said:

I’m not basing it on the players that we traded for him. Even though I think those players have quite a bit of value.  If it was determined by the marlins at those players have no value, then Rogers would’ve been traded to somebody else for a better package. I doubt anybody came anywhere near beating the package we sent. I’m sure if you went to Marlins message board they’d be laughing about how bad they fleeced us. Rogers just isn’t good and he doesn’t have any pitches that have ever really been good.

Everything you say is so ignorant and uneducated. It’s ok if you don’t like Rogers as a pitcher. Many people didn’t like the deal.  But the way you are getting to your point and the assumptions you are making are laughably bad.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Everything you say is so ignorant and uneducated. It’s ok if you don’t like Rogers as a pitcher. Many people didn’t like the deal.  But the way you are getting to your point and the assumptions you are making are laughably bad.

How so oh wise one

3 minutes ago, Spakman said:

How many players acquired at the trade deadline by contenders are in minors now besides him.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/i-hope-your-teams-big-deadline-acquisition-lasted-more-than-30-days/

Only 26 of the 44 major league pitchers traded to contenders in July are still on the active rosters of the teams that acquired them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh, ok.  So there's no reason to make a trade for your future in the regular season.  

I would say it’s not typically done at the trade deadline. It’s obviously not a bad thing if you’re trading for someone that can help you now and later.

1 minute ago, Spakman said:

If I have to explain to you, how little sellers there were this year and how much you had to overpay then I don’t know what to tell you

That has absolutely nothing to do with what you said.

Mike Elias wanted Rogers and, contrary to your baseless assertion, he most likely wasn't actually going to be available in the offseason because several other teams wanted him too and the Marlins were selling off whatever they could, so he traded for him at the deadline. 

7 minutes ago, Spakman said:

How many players acquired at the trade deadline by contenders are in minors now besides him.

Who cares? Mike Elias has shown in the past that he isn't afraid to send a guy he just traded for to Norfolk if he thinks it will be beneficial in the long-run (see: Irvin, Cole).

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If Trevor Rogers figures it out and pitches well next year, you're not allowed to enjoy it.

Why would he enjoy it?

It will still be a BAD TRADE  😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Your opinion is based on a huge fallacy…that those 2 were worth a lot more than what the market said they were worth.

This point exposes a flaw in Elias’ logic:

In a vacuum, Norby and Stowers have X value. But in this environment, where impact pitching is rare, and impact position players are less so, that value is diminished because of supply/demand.

This means that Elias has to pay more for less, thus diminishing his own surplus, making future impact trades even more unlikely.

It is undeniable that the Rogers trade didn’t help the 2024 Os, and questionable-but undecided-whether it will help the future team.

The only real takeaway from this deadline is that pitching is expensive and failing to draft pitching isn’t a good idea despite the risks.

I hope that changes next season. If it doesn’t…we’ll, we will discuss it then.

Slight change of topic.  

I don't think I had ever seen Trevor Rogers throw a pitch in my life before he came to the O's. And I must say, his stuff looked very meh.  I have no idea what it looked like before after watching him it's hard to believe the success he had.

Obviously, the O's staff is way more qualified then I am and saw more.  I just found it interesting how bland his stuff looked.  

Edited by OriolesUpAndDowns

15 minutes ago, Spakman said:

And that’s what trade deadline deals are for. That’s why you overpay at the trade deadline. I would love to know what they think they can fix not just in a year or two but this year what did they think they could do to make this guy good. I just don’t see any plus pitches to work with.

You dont need to know what their plan is, just know they do have plans for Rogers. Thats been apparent from the start.

4 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

You dont need to know what their plan is, just know they do have plans for Rogers. Thats been apparent from the start.

Their plan was to send him to the minors after 4 bad starts.   I can’t say I like that plan.

I hope it’s better than the plan they had for Cole Irvin and Jack Flaherty.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1