Here's the thread where you apologize for doubting Guthrie

Carroll County

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump?

Letters.

Once again I am in the office late and haven't actually seen Guthrie. I'm relying on vatech's report that he sees some things that suggest Guthrie may be nursing an injury. Yes, my level of concern is rising. Or, he could just be having a bad game, or going through an early season dead-arm period as some pitchers do from time to time.

Let's see if Guthrie can manage his way through another 2 IP.

I hated seeing Guthrie get tagged for that last ER tonight, after allowing a leadoff hit in the 7th and getting replaced. He worked his butt off tonight to keep the team within striking distance, on a night when he really didn't have his best stuff.

It didn't look the same as it looked when he was good. Not from where I was sitting.

They mentioned that he is not locating his fastball that well & seems to prefer his 2nd & 3rd pitches over his fastball. Because of the that he is getting hit at like a .370 clip against righties. When he usually handles righties/lefties about the same.

It didn't look the same as it looked when he was good. Not from where I was sitting.

Still 91-94 with good movement on the 2 seem. The slider still looks pretty good. I think his control and more specifically locating the fastball is the bigger problem right now.

I said it a month or so ago, and I'll repeat myself now...when the calvary arrives, Guts will be our 5th starter at best. He is only our "ace" because we have no deck of cards to draw from!

Wrong.

Guts is a solid 3/4.

His problem last night was he couldn't locate his fastball early on.

Fell behind in too many counts and was forced to come in.

Either way, I don't see it as a long-term problem. The White Sox have a pretty good lineup they throw out there and a guy isn't going to have plus stuff every time out.

Wrong.

Guts is a solid 3/4.

Ok, are you being sarcastic? (I am going to say yes you are, at least I hope you are)

Is there really a big difference between a "solid 3/4" and a "5" starter?

Maybe Dip meant to say Guts will be a "solid" #5...would that change things?

Or, what if Guts is called a "legitimate #5+" starter?

Point is that Guts is only our #1 by pure default due to the lack of any other decent starters (jury is still out on Koji).

All this #3, #4, #5 starter stuff is nuthin but window dressing.

I kinda agree that Guts is a 3/4 for a good contending rotation. Last night he was definitely tough for him to locate his fastball but you have to give it up to him getting as far as he did for not having it. I thought it was gonna be much worse than it was.

Ok, are you being sarcastic? (I am going to say yes you are, at least I hope you are)

Is there really a big difference between a "solid 3/4" and a "5" starter?

Maybe Dip meant to say Guts will be a "solid" #5...would that change things?

Or, what if Guts is called a "legitimate #5+" starter?

Point is that Guts is only our #1 by pure default due to the lack of any other decent starters (jury is still out on Koji).

All this #3, #4, #5 starter stuff is nuthin but window dressing.

It's a measure of a pitcher's talent. I agree we get too caught up in saying a guy is a decent #3 or #4 pitcher but it does have some kind of merit to it. All things considered, I view Guthrie as a very good #3, decent #2 pitcher for a contending team.

Archived