FIX THE DANG HITTING!

DocJJ

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hyde was saying before the deadline, right after the Marlins series, that the hitting had been struggling, and asked the press if they thought the answer was to get younger?  At the time Holliday and Mayo weren’t up. I believe Norby was the temp injury fill in for Mateo. 

Being forced to play Holliday/Mayo in ride or die situations this year has really killed us. 

A couple of things…

1.  It’s tough to break in a lot of rookies/2nd year players all at once. 

2. Hindsight 20/20, the rash of pitching injuries forced Elias to buy a 2nd SP and we should’ve kept Norby as insurance. Hindsight 20/20, Holliday was the #1 overall prospect and in AAA. Mayo was having the best AAA season offensively anyone could’ve dreamed of. 

Overall, offensively we’re just a year or two away. 

Long story short… our young hitters need experience that only time will bring. 

we should’ve kept Norby as insurance.

Mateo was hurt, But Urias , Westy were still here. Also another RH bat would go missing as well. Yes it would be nice to still have Norby, but now he,s in a 2 for 23 slump with no extra base hits. All of this is showing us why this administration was so slanted towards the Vets.  This game is hard for most of the youngsters.

16 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

we should’ve kept Norby as insurance.

Mateo was hurt, But Urias , Westy were still here. Also another RH bat would go missing as well. Yes it would be nice to still have Norby, but now he,s in a 2 for 23 slump with no extra base hits. All of this is showing us why this administration was so slanted towards the Vets.  This game is hard for most of the youngsters.

Right. And as was discussed a lot on this board, breaking in several youngsters in the same year is difficult. Add to that all the pitching injuries and here we are. (I did not see the poor defense coming, though)

1 minute ago, terpoh said:

We are certainly not being Webb on Thursday. So tomorrow is the one chance. Then we have Detroit who could make things very interesting for us.

Webb has been pretty awful his last 4 starts putting up a 6.86 ERA.  Of course with the Orioles offense that might not mean anything.  I guess we'll find out soon.

28 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Webb has been pretty awful his last 4 starts putting up a 6.86 ERA.  Of course with the Orioles offense that might not mean anything.  I guess we'll find out soon.

Rich Hill could shut out this team right now. It is all mental and 50% due to poor fundamentals and strategy.

I think last night had a lot to do with facing a guy who may be the best pitcher in baseball over the last few months. 

I think there are some signs if you look hard enough.  Cowser has 3 hits recently. Adley has performed better. Kjerstad looked good last night. Urias should be back soon.

Gunnar has been hitting.  OHearn ripped that double last night, something he hasn’t been doing.

Santander looks awful but that’s just how he is..he could start to heat up at any moment.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

It’s been 12 games since we scored more than three runs.

The only good news on the horizon is that I don’t see any LH SPs on the schedule the rest of the way. 

Cole Irvin on his 2-week contract!     That will be quite the game thread if the epic collapse some fear is still in play.

Urias and Westburg probably will have some necessary 0-for-4's working back, but the good news is that won't be any worse than what the team has been getting.

It looks like the Hurter guy on Detroit is lefty.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Cole Irvin on his 2-week contract!     That will be quite the game thread if the epic collapse some fear is still in play.

Urias and Westburg probably will have some necessary 0-for-4's working back, but the good news is that won't be any worse than what the team has been getting.

It looks like the Hurter guy on Detroit is lefty.

Yea, they've been using him as a piggy-back to an opener. 

We could miss him if he goes today or tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Yea, they've been using him as a piggy-back to an opener. 

We could miss him if he goes today or tomorrow. 

It is Skubal day and an off day for Detroit so we'll probably see him, and maybe any other Toledo Mudhen Scott Harris calculates is worth streaming in.