Cole Irvin to start tomorrow

accinfo

8 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Last night the NY TV guys were unabashedly complaining about Boone’s managing decisions(how refreshing!) one of which was that Boone used every one of his relievers. All of them. The last guy, Tonkin, threw about 25 pitches. That means the Yankees are gonna be hoping for a long outing from Cortes, who hasn’t been his best lately.

I actually think Boone had his hands pretty much tied. When your starter goes down with injury after 3+ innings, and the game goes 12 innings, burning the whole pen is kind of a given.

But oh well!

There is just too many one inning relievers anymore.  It used to be just 2-3 three guys that would go 1 inning then you had a 2-3 guys that went 2-3 innings and one long man that was like a starter but could go 5+ innings.  Now it seems most teams have 5-6 one inning guys and 2-3 2 inning guys and maybe 1 guy that can go 4+ innings.  That is why managers are burning relievers so much for some reason that is the new law to help with injuries limiting their innings each game but it seems to be doing the opposite.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I checked MLB Traderumors, and they didn’t mention a move, but I’m sure they’re going to bring someone up for todays game.

I assume Mayza gets released.  He was awful before they got him last week and he is the one that blew up last night which caused them to use their last guy.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Irvin did fine. That said do you keep him?  Pen is woefully short and you would have to keep a 7 man pen for 4 days.  Akin would be a fresh arm Friday but still. 

With Eflin down almost have to keep him, Unless youre sticking with Rogers.

Not only Burnes, this entire team, We saw this Monday when the entire offense was Mounty and Urias. Saw it today where Slater was the Offense, Both one run losses. Were not good enough right now, they have to get better.

4 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

There is just too many one inning relievers anymore.  It used to be just 2-3 three guys that would go 1 inning then you had a 2-3 guys that went 2-3 innings and one long man that was like a starter but could go 5+ innings.  Now it seems most teams have 5-6 one inning guys and 2-3 2 inning guys and maybe 1 guy that can go 4+ innings.  That is why managers are burning relievers so much for some reason that is the new law to help with injuries limiting their innings each game but it seems to be doing the opposite.  

Have the O's had even 1 reliever pitch 4 IP in relief?  It seems like as soon as a starter goes in the bullpen, Hyde thinks they lose their ability to pitch extended innings.  Irvin was in the bullpen for a month plus earlier in the season and Hyde was repeatedly using him for 1 innings and sometims 2 IP, often on days he needed 5 IP from the bullpen, so instead of having Irvin pitch 3 IP and use 2 other relievers, Hyde would use 5 relievers for 1 inning each.  Sorry for the rant.  It seems Hyde often has 6 1 inning relievers,  1 guy he trusts to pitch 2 innings and another guy he trusts to pitch 3 innings (but often uses for 2 innings or even 1 inning) .  No wonder our bullpen gets burned up so easily.

Decent outing by Irvin. He gave us a chance to win. We don’t need him to be an ACE. He’s done what we needed Rogers to do so far in his two starts back. 

Hope he’s got a little September magic him. This year’s version of Randy Wolf from 2012. Wolf and Saunders. 

Our current rotation outside of Burnes reminds me of that 2012 team in September.

Suarez - Miggy

Povich/Irvin - Saunders/Wolf

Kremer - Tillman

Burnes - Hammel 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was pretty annoyed when he walked Chris Taylor with Ohtani on deck.  Overall, though, it was a decent outing.   

I almost hit the ceiling.  I thought we were doomed at that point.

Overall, solid start...did better than I thought he would.

• Upvote 1