Brandon Hyde quote after loss to White Sox

Pat Kelly

20 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

It still grates on me (and clearly others like Roy) big time to lose like that to the worst team in baseball history.

6-1 against any team in a given season is great regardless of the opponent. The biggest problem is the losses throughout the year that could have been wins.

16 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

lol wut

Did you copy and paste the wrong quote or something?

Please allow me to spell it out a bit more in the hope of ameliorating your confusion. Hyde, by using the Oriole "we," is confessing that, yes, he also "didn't play good baseball,""didn't put the ball in play enough," and should be held accountable for not playing "with more energy [and] intensity."

Ithink the odds are good that he won't be in the starting lineup in the upcoming series.

Edited by LA2

I really think it was just a “letdown” game. We were flat. It happens. Our team isn’t robots. You don’t think they were watching Texas hit the walk off grand slam the night before?  

It happens. We took 2/3 from two bad teams. Handled our business. Moving on. 

Maybe as we get older, and get our pitching healthy, we’ll develop that “killer instinct”. 

To quote our previous manager… “the other team’s guys get paid too.”

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Let's be honest. The Orioles are a pretty good team, pretty good, but not even good, and certainly not great . But if we are that, the Yankees are too. They don't look like a quality team either. This is not a good year for great baseball .Too many injuries...too much uninspired play.

1.  So “pretty good” is not as good as “good?”

2.  It may not be a good year for great baseball, but is it a great year for good baseball?

I’d say the playoffs could be great if all the teams in it are merely pretty good.  

• Upvote 1

White Sox wins since August 1:

8/6: 5-1 @ OAK

8/12: 12-2 vs. NYY

8/16: 5-4 @ HOU

8/23: 6-2 @ SFG

9/4: 8-1 @ BAL

Prior to August, they also won games against Cleveland (5), Tampa Bay (4), St. Louis (2), Atlanta (2), Boston (2), Washington (2), Arizona (2), Colorado (2), Kansas City (1), Seattle (1), Toronto (1), Houston (1), Detroit (1), Minnesota (1)

The only teams in the AL they haven't beaten are the Angels and the Rangers. They're going to win games from time to time, including the O's competition.

Edited by dzorange
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

Buck up Roy…and most everyone else for that matter.  The regular season doesn’t matter at all anymore.  The Rangers weren’t the best team in their division last year, much less the AL, and certainly not in baseball yet they were the champs.  They got hot in the playoffs and won it all despite their crappy pen.  No reason this team can’t do that.  Get GRod back, Columbe, Westburg…Gunnar or Santander goes on an Adonis Garcia run.  Just get in the playoffs and roll the dice.  Marginal teams can win it all, the Rangers showed the world how it’s done.  Stop living and dying with every game. Those days died with playoff over-expansion.

I agree that anyone can win it but I think those days were always there before the playoff expansion because there was plenty of World Series winners before the expanded playoffs from teams that one 93 games or less.  

1980 Phillies 91 wins

1982 Cardinals  92 wins

1985 Royals 91 wins

1987 Twins 85 wins

1988 Dodgers 93 wins

1990 Reds 91 wins 

1996 Yankees 92 wins 

1997 Marlins 92 wins

2000 Yankees 87 wins

2001 Dbacks 92 wins 

2003 Marlins 91 wins

2006 Cardinals 83 wins

2008 Phillies 92 wins

2010 Giants 92 wins

2011 Cardinals 90 wins

2012 Giants 93 wins

2014 Giants 88 wins 

2019 Nats 93 wins 

2021 Braves 88 wins

2023 Rangers 90 wins 

So 20 out of the last 40 full seasons teams what won the world series have won 93 games or less.  In that span there has only been 8 100 win Champions and 4 of those in the last 7 years.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I agree that anyone can win it but I think those days were always there before the playoff expansion because there was plenty of World Series winners before the expanded playoffs from teams that one 93 games or less.  

1980 Phillies 91 wins

1982 Cardinals  92 wins

1985 Royals 91 wins

1987 Twins 85 wins

1988 Dodgers 93 wins

1990 Reds 91 wins 

1996 Yankees 92 wins 

1997 Marlins 92 wins

2000 Yankees 87 wins

2001 Dbacks 92 wins 

2003 Marlins 91 wins

2006 Cardinals 83 wins

2008 Phillies 92 wins

2010 Giants 92 wins

2011 Cardinals 90 wins

2012 Giants 93 wins

2014 Giants 88 wins 

2019 Nats 93 wins 

2021 Braves 88 wins

2023 Rangers 90 wins 

So 20 out of the last 40 full seasons teams what won the world series have won 93 games or less.  In that span there has only been 8 100 win Champions and 4 of those in the last 7 years.  

Proving it's better to be good and lucky than great with the expanded playoffs.  I hope this year is the O's to be good and lucky.