O’s look done

Pat Kelly

17 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

They are not done because you still have Burnes and Eflin 1-2 in the playoffs so just have to get them a few runs and they will give you chance to win most nights.  

Well, Burnes, Eflin, Povich all just threw nearly 19 innings and only allowed 3 runs between them and they managed to lose 2 of 3. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Well, Burnes, Eflin, Povich all just threw nearly 19 innings and only allowed 3 runs between them and they managed to lose 2 of 3. 

Yep but they keep doing that I still like our chances.  You pitch like that in playoffs you give yourself a great chance to win.  The offense is still missing 3 starters from the lineup so hopefully they come back and help. 

Brown and Ben talked about how "the process" is fine, or something like that, but the hits (and runs) just weren't coming. Adley just spoke about how the players all have faith in "the process."

What is this process? Is it just playing hard and not letting past losses/poor play discourage you or affect today's performance? That's all fine, but doesn't really mean anything.

Or does "the process" entail strategic elements -- things to do or emphasize in hitting, pitching, running and/or fielding? If so, the hitting part of it is failing dismally, and has been for some time. To say that even though the team's offense has been and still is terrible, we're just going to keep doing what we're doing and expect the swings and misses will turn into takes and hard contact, the ground balls at fielders will find holes, and the pop-ups will become line drives in the gaps strikes me as foolish. And more importantly, is likely to doom a team that has some real talent, even with the injuries.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

.580.  We do need to be better in the clutch, both hitting and pitching.

They just can’t string the hits together it seems a guy will come up in big situations and not deliver then next at bat gets a hit with no one on.  Santander had a double down the line his first at bat.  His second at bat with 2nd and 3rd  he pops out.  The next at bat he flys out to right. The 4th at bat he hits a rocket right at the right fielder with Mullins on 1st then Adley homers.  So in the 4 at bats he would have scored the runner 3 out of the 4 times but unfortunately the time he didn’t was one that mattered.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Like so many guys the Orioles have picked up over the years. There's a thread on the history board, but more specifically, here are former quality MLB players that came to Baltimore late in their career and never played a single game after we got rid of them.... so they basically came here to die: Craig Kimbrel [if ne never pitches in the majors again which I think is likely] Tony Kemp [if he never plays in the majors again] Matt Harvey Dan Straily Vlad Guerrero Keith Moreland Colby Rasmus Dwight Evans Ubaldo Jiminez Robinson Chirinos Pedro Alvarez Seth Smith Michael Bourn Joe Saunders (the second time we picked him up) Jim Thome
    • Wasn’t there a tweet from a Sun reporter that Cano is available tonight but had been experiencing forearm pain?  Ominous.
    • How possible is that Juan Soto will come to Baltimore???  The Yankees will pay him whatever he wants!
    • It’s not like catcher where we always have a taxi squad guy.  We only have other players on taxi squad when there is a concern with a specific player. For instance, we had Daniel Johnson when Mullins and Mountcastle were banged up. That being said, if Cano was definitely hurt they would have already made a move.
    • I've seen it multiple times on ground balls with Jimenez and Slater. I believe it was Jimenez last night. My favorite part about this team might be Gunnar's hustle out of the box. He puts pressure on teams. Did so a couple of days ago on a routine grounder to 2nd. Cowser won a game by beating out a play at first a couple of weeks ago. Then new guys came in and it's like they brought their culture. I could be reading too much into it, but I need a manager to step up and shut that down. 
    • And I said this before but I'll say it again.  IF they were to move on from Hyde, it would be Buck Britton, and I don't think there would even be a search beyond him.  I thought Gunnar picking him for his HR Derby pitcher spoke volumes about the respect these more recent AAA guys have for Buck. How many played for him down in Norfolk, at least for a bit (some for a good while)?  Gunnar, Cowser, Adley, Holliday, Mayo, Westburg, Kjerstad, Basallo (since we're talking next year, that's possibly relevant), several pitchers.  Its the core of the team.  It would be the only move that I could see MAYBE happening - Hyde for Britton.  But I still doubt that very much.
  • Popular Contributors