Irvin claimed by Twins

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's have a Irvin-like pitcher in Trevor Rogers.    But Rogers has options.

Rogers has the options and also a higher ceiling. 

But I gotta say, losing Irvin for nothing (2 more years of control, 4.86 ERA this year, 4.49 career), after trading what we did for Rogers (2 more years, 4.92 this year, 4.36 career) is not a good feeling. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

But I gotta say, losing Irvin for nothing (2 more years of control, 4.86 ERA this year, 4.49 career), after trading what we did for Rogers (2 more years, 4.92 this year, 4.36 career) is not a good feeling. 

Rogers “higher ceiling” feels like an additional half inch in the crawl space type of comparison. I’d have rather kept Stowers, Norby, and Irvin than have Rogers in the organization. 

To stay more on topic…I’d have liked to see Irvin kept around. Next year there is a crazy lack of depth for SP. Irvin would’ve been a good 6th SP/long man if he had a good spring.

• Upvote 2

Now this is one move I think will come back to bite us. Either this year or beyond. Heck, the way this year has gone, it just seems fitting that Irwin will see us in the playoffs and the results will not be pleasant. Good guy - good teammate - good luck to him - but not in the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Now this is one move I think will come back to bite us. Either this year or beyond. Heck, the way this year has gone, it just seems fitting that Irwin will see us in the playoffs and the results will not be pleasant. Good guy - good teammate - good luck to him - but not in the playoffs. 

I think he is ineligible for the Twins playoff roster since he was only added to the organization in September:

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I kind of feel like he's an Arb2-Arb3 casualty.    The economic analysts are having the clubs bypass the built-in raises.

His class of player maybe experiences the Charile Finley "make them all free agents" unfavorable situation Marvin Miller avoided.

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I understand keeping Kimbrel as a face-saving move. But why Smith? Is he a guy you want to use with anything on the line? Is there a belief he can be made over to help after this year?

I expect that Smith will go once Coulombe returns, which will hopefully be soon.