Still think this team didn't choke under pressure?

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, JR Oriole said:

I am guessing the Dolphins.  A franchise that hasn't won a playoff game since December 30, 2000.  Let that marinate for a minute.  24 years without a single playoff victory.  Worst franchise in the NFL and my favorite team for decades. 

You would be right. Lots of flair and flash agiasnt lesser defenses, but no so much va the better one. Points and runs scored don’t always tell whole story.

35 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

They are going to the playoffs most every year! In their last 10 playoff appearances, they haven’t even made it to the World Series once!  Are you telling me that the Yankees and their payroll aren’t built to win it all but the winners were built for it?  When we’ve made the playoffs as often as some teams and don’t win, we may have something to talk about. 

Even when the Yankees don't win the World Series (or get there), they still manage to win actual games in the playoffs.  We should try that.  Winning a game or two when we get in.  Couldn't hurt.   

The Witt play - it is a testament to his talent.    The game speeds up in the postseason for veterans, never mind rookies or near rookies.

Witt's power and speed are loud.    Cano fields that ball off most bats, and in the instant the play occurred it seemed like it surprised him he didn't get it.     Westburg knows the runner, and maybe that knowledge distracts him from throwing to the right base.

They played better than the Texas series.    Still not well enough.

Gunnar's 6-for-12 is much cited, but some of it was garbage time after a 1-for-4 and the hit-and-run miscommunication in the 3-2 game.

Maybe a curveball from the media in the upcoming Elias/Hyde session is if any more details there can be declassified after a year.

I've used the Adley/Peyton Manning comparison a few times, and similarly to young Peyton, now he has to step through another regular season of likely brilliance before the national media arrives to see what the snafu this time will be.  

38 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I'm trying to understand how the offense was overrated.  Yes, we obviously screwed the pooch in these TWO post season games, but during the regular season they were 2nd in the AL in OPS, 2nd in Home Runs, 4th in OBP, 2nd in runs scored, 1st in slugging.  That's a pretty good offense. 

This is not to say there are not problems.  I scratched my head over some of the in-season acquisitions, and we still have pitching issues going in to next season, and even though we were 4th in OBP we were farther away from 1st in OPS than we were from 14th.  There are things that need to be fixed, but I think there's a solid core to build around.  

Fools gold statistics.

Anyone that watched the games from mid June on could see this offense was not good at all. Live and die by the solo homer. A lot of those season stats are skewed by a hot April/May/early June. It’s deeper than “season stats” will show.

Awful approach at the plate, lack of ability with RISP, lack of situational hitting etc. plagued the team for 3+ months , and of course in the playoffs. Part of that was injuries, but it looks like it’s a philosophical organizational thing. 

Regardless, I do agree we have a solid core to build around. I feel pretty good about Gunnar, Cowser, Adley rebounding, Westy and Holliday next year. I feel good about Mateo and Urias in bench roles if they are here. But there are a ton of holes that need to be addressed in the lineup.

Just now, terpoh said:

Fools gold statistics.

Anyone that watched the games from mid June on could see this offense was not good at all. Live and die by the solo homer. A lot of those season stats are skewed by a hot April/May/early June. It’s deeper than “season stats” will show.

Awful approach at the plate, lack of ability with RISP, lack of situational hitting etc. plagued the team for 3+ months , and of course in the playoffs. Part of that was injuries, but it looks like it’s a philosophical organizational thing. 

Regardless, I do agree we have a solid core to build around. I feel pretty good about Gunnar, Cowser, Adley rebounding, Westy and Holliday next year. I feel good about Mateo and Urias in bench roles if they are here. But there are a ton of holes that need to be addressed in the lineup.

So they decided at the middle of the season not to hit? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

So they decided at the middle of the season not to hit? 

No. We were mashing home runs at an MLB record pace at the beginning of the year. It masked a lot of those issues despite those issues being there. We scored runs because we hit a ton of home runs. It wasn’t sustainable. The RISP issues, the situational hitting issues, the strikeout issues were still there.

1 minute ago, terpoh said:

No. We were mashing home runs at an MLB record pace at the beginning of the year. It masked a lot of those issues despite those issues being there. We scored runs because we hit a ton of home runs. It wasn’t sustainable. The RISP issues, the situational hitting issues, the strikeout issues were still there.

They were middle of the pack in K’s. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

They were middle of the pack in K’s. 

Ok man, whatever. You’re cherry picking what I am saying. If you think this was a good offense based on the season runs per game stat then that’s fine. I disagree. 

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I've used the Adley/Peyton Manning comparison a few times, and similarly to young Peyton, now he has to step through another regular season of likely brilliance before the national media arrives to see what the snafu this time will be.  

Manning and Lamar are examples of how, once the playoff failure narrative snaps on, it can stick until you win a championship. Even if performance in the prior rounds improves. 

14 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Ok man, whatever. You’re cherry picking what I am saying. If you think this was a good offense based on the season runs per game stat then that’s fine. I disagree. 

What stats do you look at to determine if it was a good offense or not?

1 minute ago, MDK02 said:

You can't just look at the runs per game numbers.  They can be deceiving based on 10 runs in 1 game then games with 1-3 runs. Those numbers can look pretty inflated otherwise. 

This would apply to every team. You do realize that?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This would apply to every team. You do realize that?

I didn't say it wouldn't. I'm just saying, that is the real way to get the most accurate numbers for runs per game. My eyes told me a different story about this offense than the numbers, for the 2nd of the season anyhow.

Just now, MDK02 said:

I didn't say it wouldn't. I'm just saying, that is the real way to get the most accurate numbers for runs per game. My eyes told me a different story about this offense than the numbers, for the 2nd of the season anyhow.

They clearly weren’t as good the 2nd half. Adley slump and injuries were the lead cause. I’m not saying you are wrong there.