Report: Braves interested in Luke Scott... and Felix Pie?

My O's Face

So there you go. "Difference makers" and other potential pieces are being discussed. So maybe instead of saying no one is talking about who we can have . . .you should write that you are non-plussed what people seem to think is available.

Well, I agree that a few people are talking about what they think would be worthwhile. That's all I want to see. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do think highly of Luke and I want something other than mediocre prospects for a player of his caliber. In that regard, I am interested to hear what others think. And, silly me, I think that requires more input than just "Oh, sure, let's trade him and Pie to ATL, assuming we get something back." To me, that is just empty trade-noise, it's not even an actual idea.

I am interested to read what actual ideas people have about what might constitute a good trade. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to hear what we're supposedly getting back for shipping a couple Oriole OF'ers out of town. I don't see how it's even possible to consider it a trade conversation without that half of it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He doesn't know how to take a pitch.

He is swinging at 38.5% of pitches outside the strike zone.

There is a decent chance he won't get on base 30+% of the time this year.

His career OBP is 18 points higher than Crede and he has played in pitchers parks for his whole career...Crede was in a good hitters park for most of his.

Also, Beltre has a higher career OPS than Crede...again, also in big time pitchers parks.

Well, I agree that a few people are talking about what they think would be worthwhile. That's all I want to see. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do think highly of Luke and I want something other than mediocre prospects for a player of his caliber. In that regard, I am interested to hear what others think. And, silly me, I think that requires more input than just "Oh, sure, let's trade him and Pie to ATL, assuming we get something back." To me, that is just empty trade-noise, it's not even an actual idea.

I am interested to read what actual ideas people have about what might constitute a good trade. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to hear what we're supposedly getting back for shipping a couple Oriole OF'ers out of town. I don't see how it's even possible to consider it a trade conversation without that half of it.

The point is, plenty of people named names and that still wasn't good enough for you..probably because you don't have any idea who those players are but that's not anyone else's fault but yours.

His career OBP is 18 points higher than Crede and he has played in pitchers parks for his whole career...Crede was in a good hitters park for most of his.

Also, Beltre has a higher career OPS than Crede...again, also in big time pitchers parks.

Crede is a power hitter. I don't even know what kind of hitter Beltre is anymore.

Last time I checked, Safeco field isn't the Polo grounds. Multi year park factor of 96.

Dodger stadium is a neutral 100.

Crede is a power hitter. I don't even know what kind of hitter Beltre is anymore.

Last time I checked, Safeco field isn't the Polo grounds. Multi year park factor of 96.

Dodger stadium is a neutral 100.

Beltre has a higher carer slugging.

Crede hits a homer every 21.6 at bats..Beltre every 24.6 at bats..Crede was in a good homer park...Beltre hasn't yet to play in one.

Beltre also has a BA of 13 points better, in his career, than Crede.

Beltre's career OPS+ is 105...Crede's is 94.

The only thing Crede seems to do better than Beltre is get injured.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to Crede at all but your argument that Crede hits better and fields just as well is pretty much bs unless you are just talking about the first few months of this season, which of course makes your argument pretty silly.

Beltre has a higher carer slugging.

Crede hits a homer every 21.6 at bats..Beltre every 24.6 at bats..Crede was in a good homer park...Beltre hasn't yet to play in one.

Beltre also has a BA of 13 points better, in his career, than Crede.

Beltre's career OPS+ is 105...Crede's is 94.

The only thing Crede seems to do better than Beltre is get injured.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to Crede at all but your argument that Crede hits better and fields just as well is pretty much bs unless you are just talking about the first few months of this season, which of course makes your argument pretty silly.

Career ISO

Crede = .193

Beltre = .185

Career HR%

Crede = 5.46%

Beltre = 5.25%

And Beltre's is helped out a lot by his weird 2004 season where his HR/FB was 23.3%

Career ISO

Crede = .193

Beltre = .185

Career HR/FB * FB%

Crede = 5.46%

Beltre = 5.25%

And Beltre's is helped out a lot by his weird 2004 season where his HR/FB was 23.3%

He is also killed by his home parks.

Look, you are just wrong here...Beltre has clearly been the better player in their careers.

Crede has a career WARP3 of 8.3!! Beltre's is over 44...Now, WARP3 is a counting stat and Beltre has many more at bats but that is also because he has been healthier and a better player...Also, Beltre is a year younger!

In fact, a few weeks ago you said you knew that Beltre was the better player but wasn't sure he would be worth the larger contract.

Now, to me, that is the real discussion...Is Beltre going to be worth more years and a lot more money than Crede? Well, that depends on what the contracts look like and how these guys end the year.

But any discussion about who is better is pretty lopsided..Beltre wins easily.

He is also killed by his home parks.

Look, you are just wrong here...Beltre has clearly been the better player in their careers.

Crede has a career WARP3 of 8.3!! Beltre's is over 44...Now, WARP3 is a counting stat and Beltre has many more at bats but that is also because he has been healthier and a better player...Also, Beltre is a year younger!

In fact, a few weeks ago you said you knew that Beltre was the better player but wasn't sure he would be worth the larger contract.

Now, to me, that is the real discussion...Is Beltre going to be worth more years and a lot more money than Crede? Well, that depends on what the contracts look like and how these guys end the year.

But any discussion about who is better is pretty lopsided..Beltre wins easily.

I don't care about who was better in the past. Crede is going to be better in the future.

I don't care about who was better in the past. Crede is going to be better in the future.

LOL...No basis for this whatsoever but of course, you have never let that stop you before, so why start now?

You are just guessing and you are guessing based off of a small sampling of at bats this year.

LOL...No basis for this whatsoever but of course, you have never let that stop you before, so why start now?

You are just guessing and you are guessing based off of a small sampling of at bats this year.

No basis? We are talking about signing one of them for next year...not 2002.

But people are doing this.

Here's the 14th and 15th ranked prospects, and the only ss and 3b in the top 15, as per some website:

14) Brandon Hicks, SS, Grade C+: Love the power, walks, speed, defense. Hate the strikeouts.

15) Eric Campbell, 3B, Grade C+: If his head is on straight, could surprise people in ’09.

How bout Freeman for Scott and Pie?
Pie and Scott to Atlanta... makes sense.

We've discussed Scott going there, and with the sending down to AAA of CF'er Jordan Schafer and the OF issues that are abundant in Atlanta, a package deal could be smart business on MacPhail's part.

An easy decision pending the return? No. But MacPhail has the future of this team at the heart of his decisions, and while Scott and a few other veterans are performing well, it would behoove MacPhail to listen intently as suitors come calling.

I can assure Orioles fans that neither of Atlanta's top two prospects (Tommy Hanson and Jason Heyward) will be part of any return package to Baltimore, but the Braves do have a few pieces that could garner MacPhail's discerning eye...

At 6' 5-220, 19 year-old 1B'man Freddie Freeman is a well-considered player, both with his lefty bat and defensively.

Cole Rohrbough is a good-looking 22 year-old lefty, with good size at 6'3-225 and #2-3 starter projection.

There are others, but both of these youngsters are with High-A Myrtle Beach, and offer high upside. Hopefully our Atlanta Team Analyst -'My O's Face'- can share more about the Braves' system... both ML and Minors.

Scott, Pie, Baez and 3 million dollars for Freeman, Medlen/Rohrbaugh, Jones and Hicks???

Possible? Yea? nay?

And no offense, but for someone who *supposedly* doesn't go into many trade threads (your words), you sure do pop up in a lot of them. :laughlol:

No basis? We are talking about signing one of them for next year...not 2002.

Again, you are looking at a small sampling of at bats...You are also looking at the player that is older and much more injury prone...That alone makes Beltre the better bet.

Long way to go this season.

I wouldn't deal Huff for a low level player(s) with hime expected to be a Type A player this offseason. Give Jordan the two picks.

I agree with this statement. With our recent track record in picking players it seems logical to go this route. How does the two supplemental picks work? Would the team that signs Huff be required to give up a first rounder and MLB give us a supplemental pick between rounds 1 and two? If this is the case then we would likely get the #15-#32 pick and a pick between #33-#45. That would allow us to select three players in the first #50 picks. Is there a chance that Melvin Mora will be a type B free agent?

Why do so many feel that getting back any B level prospect is better than keeping a relatively cheap and productive player in Luke Scott? The return has to better the club long term and while younger players do help, cheap and productive veterans are also worth a lot to clubs. To be honest I worry about the 2010 1st base market. If Huff walks and we get the two 1st rounders, it would be nice to see Scott put in some work at 1st. I think Snyder may be a productive player down the road, but I am not sold on him as either the long term 1st or 3rd base solution.

Well, I agree that a few people are talking about what they think would be worthwhile. That's all I want to see...
But people are doing this.

And no offense, but for someone who *supposedly* doesn't go into many trade threads (your words), you sure do pop up in a lot of them. :laughlol:

What part of "I agree that a few people are ... That's all I want to see" do you not understand?

Archived