How come the Blue Jays can be competitive and the Orioles can't?

keysersose

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boy am I glad I got out of this thread.

And that I have sapper on ignore, only people HAD to quote his ravings so I got to see him call all of us stupid.

Too bad.

He didn't call O's fans stupid. But as Sapper said, some seem to try to be insulted on here.

He didn't call O's fans stupid. But as Sapper said, some seem to try to be insulted on here.

"Angelos learned:

-That the fans are stupid"

In order for him to learn it, we would have to be it.

Why are you so willing to defend someone that just called you stupid?

"Angelos learned:

-That the fans are stupid"

In order for him to learn it, we would have to be it.

Why are you so willing to defend someone that just called you stupid?

He's saying that's what Angelos thinks, not what Sapper thinks. Maybe you should read what else he said, it was quoted, so I know you can see it.

Boy am I glad I got out of this thread.

You couldn't be out of the thread because the above post means you're still in it. ;) Also, you've added three more posts since. WADR, if you want to keep Sapper on ignore, that's certainly your choice. But what's the point of your continuing to critique his posts?

You couldn't be out of the thread because the above post means you're still in it. ;) Also, you've added three more posts since. WADR, if you want to keep Sapper on ignore, that's certainly your choice. But what's the point of your continuing to critique his posts?

What can I say, I can't stay out of a good fight (or a bad one...).

I only critique what I can see. I don't go out of my way to read his things since he is on ignore; it was quoted.

What can I say, I can't stay out of a good fight (or a bad one...).

I only critique what I can see. I don't go out of my way to read his things since he is on ignore; it was quoted.

You've got problems. Seriously. Go get a life.

Then why didn't they offer him more? I mean... did they really think that Konerko would leave the WS champs for what are pennies to you and me?

Exactly Sean. The Yankees knew if they wanted Damon they would have to significantly outbid the Red Sox if they were going to pry him away. 52 million is what it took to get the deal done vs. 40 million over 4 years. If the O's seriously wanted Konerko they would have had to outbid the White Sox by at least 10 million over the term of the contract. And there is no guarantee that would have been enough.

That w/b a little obvious, don't you think? He really couldn't justify doing that.

Why does justifying it matter if he only cares about making money? Is there a rule (informal or formal) against slashing payroll in that manner? Or let's change my example a bit. Why doesn't Angelos slash the payrolll down $40-50 million? Surely Petey can come up with an excuse for slashing payroll down that level.

Why does justifying it matter if he only cares about making money? Is there a rule (informal or formal) against slashing payroll in that manner? Or let's change my example a bit. Why doesn't Angelos slash the payrolll down $40-50 million? Surely Petey can come up with an excuse for slashing payroll down that level.

The standard answer for that kind of payroll reduction is "We're rebuilding. We're doing what's best for the long-term interest of the franchise and the fans".

The standard answer for that kind of payroll reduction is "We're rebuilding. We're doing what's best for the long-term interest of the franchise and the fans".

We had a 54M payroll two seasons ago.

See, it's weird that a lot of people don't understand that young players are almost always cheap players. So, when you are rebuilding, you are going to have a lower payroll then you would otherwise. Right now, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts, the Orioles have 17 players that make less then $2 million a year, most because they are young, others because they are journeyman-types, who are also cheap (and the kind of players you use as filler while you rebuild).

However, I think that the fact that our payroll is already this high should show that the Orioles are willing to still spend (see: Tejada, Lopez, Hernandez, the attempts at Guerrero and Konerko, even Ponson) to get players we want.

Archived