Orioles Winners in Draft!

BA's Manuel has rated the Orioles as one of the winners in this year's draft! While, Tampa and Toronto are losers. Good. And for once - no Red Sox - although they did pretty good IMOP.

Money quote:

First-rounder Matt Hobgood got $2.422 million at No. 5 overall, but then Baltimore loaded up.

Article

Sweet article, but our strength isnt one or 2 guys like they mentioned, our strength is in the fact we signed many many high ceiling kids position players and pitchers alike. I like to type all their names out just so I can sit back and look at all of the quality kids we picked up this year...Ima do it again :)

Pitchers:

Matt Hobgood, Randy Henry, Ashur Tolliver, Ryan Berry, Aaron Wrisch, Jacob Cowan, Jarret Martin, and Coffey

Position players:

Mychal Givens, Tyler Townsend, Michael Ohlman, Kyle Hoppy, Branden Webb.

13 high ceiling kids who all very well could have went to a university for a few years and came out 1st rounders(except Ryan Berry who already was in college and was originally slated a 1st rounder).

From the Jim Callis chat that is still going on:

Jim (WV): Where would you rank the Oriole's draft class? Who in the draft do you see making it into the top 10 prospect list?

Jim Callis: The Orioles were very aggressive, and I have counted, but they may have had more total over-slot signings than any club. Hobgood and Givens could make the Top 10, and Berry and Coffey will push for the Top 10 in the future once they're fully healthy. They obviously are very high on Ohlman as well, and last year's Top 10 has graduated several players to the majors.

Sweet article, but our strength isnt one or 2 guys like they mentioned, our strength is in the fact we signed many many high ceiling kids position players and pitchers alike. I like to type all their names out just so I can sit back and look at all of the quality kids we picked up this year...Ima do it again :)

Pitchers:

Matt Hobgood, Randy Henry, Ashur Tolliver, Ryan Berry, Aaron Wrisch, Jacob Cowan, Jarret Martin, and Coffey

Position players:

Mychal Givens, Tyler Townsend, Michael Ohlman, Kyle Hoppy, Branden Webb.

13 high ceiling kids who all very well could have went to a university for a few years and came out 1st rounders(except Ryan Berry who already was in college and was originally slated a 1st rounder).

I thought Tim Berry would also be in that list?

Very exciting. Overall, I'm very pleased with the draft, but I can't help but wish we'd drafted Green, considering how cheaply he signed. Still, though, can't really complain too much about this draft.

Loving the JJ/MacPhail dynamic duo!

Worth noting, the last sentence in the Orioles segment:

Ravens fans will also like their signing of 31st-round pick Mike Flacco, brother of Ravens QB Joe Flacco.

I like when the Orioles and Raven's do cross promotions. It's good for the city and generally fun. This could provide more of these opportunities.

How cheap did Green sign for?

Nevermind, I just searched it and couldnt believe it...$2.75 mil isnt much considering his asking price. He probably would have gotten close to what Ackley got had he not blown the season.....

Yeah, not much more than Hobgood got. Especially with the addition of Bell, adding Green to play SS would have been very nice.

1. Roberts

2. Markakis

3. Jones

4. Wieters

5. Reimold (DH)

6. Bell

7. Snyder

8. Green

9. Pie

But, as I said before, I think JJ did an excellent job this draft, and am still very excited about Hobgood.

Too bad Flacco has almost 0% chance of reaching the majors.

Exactly, I guess its cool for those of you who live in Baltimore and love both the O's and Ravens, but for me, a guy who lives in Newport News VA and doesnt love the Ravens, the Flacco pick means next to nothing to me...sorry guys :(

Archived