I'm a little disappointed in AM

CumberlandFan

Going into this off-season ( and I know there's plenty of time left), I sort of figured this was our years. Not to win the WS or anything, but to acquire one or two quality players to close the distance between the NY and Boston teams,set us for 2011 and 2012.

The FA pool was thin I admit. But look around. The economy is in the crapper, teams are dumping salary. MLB is well aware we have followed the formula to build a winning franchise. AND we had plenty to spend.

Just one high quality player at a position, a guy who contributes a lot offensively. I don't want to cripple the teams with a huge contract. A good defensive players with some good pop in his bat. But still, it's more of the same. I would be very pleased to add one solid player to the nuclues of the club each season

I hope AM has some cards up his sleeve, and isn't depending on one more year of seasoning for our young players.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going into this off-season ( and I know there's plenty of time left), I sort of figured this was our years. Not to win the WS or anything, but to acquire one or two quality players to close the distance between the NY and Boston teams,set us for 2011 and 2012.

The FA pool was thin I admit. But look around. The economy is in the crapper, teams are dumping salary. MLB is well aware we have followed the formula to build a winning franchise.

Just one high quality player at a position, a guy who contributes a lot offensively. I don't want to cripple the teams with a huge contract. A good defensive players with some good pop in his bat. But still, it's more of the same. I would be very pleased to add one solid player to the nuclues of the club each season

I hope AM has some cards up his sleeve, and isn't depending on one more year of seasoning for our young players.

So you are disappointed we didn't sign who? Lackey? We still have a shot at Beltre, Holliday and even Bay. So who is this great but cheap player, with the good glove and pop in his bat, that we should have signed alreaady. Or is it some mythiical being form fantasy baseball land?

If you add one player now, that's one player you don't have to add later.

This is very true BUT, the players aren't there in positions we will need to fill later.

The two big FAs this year are outfielders and we have 4 right now who will all be big parts of a future competitive team (5 if you count Luke Scott, possibly helping via a trade) and adding another to that list isn't productive.

If there was a 3B/SS/P/1B available right now and the market was the same as it is for Holliday/Bay, I would very disappointed in AM.

But under the current situation, not disappointed at all.

This is very true BUT, the players aren't there in positions we will need to fill later.

The two big FAs this year are outfielders and we have 4 right now who will all be big parts of a future competitive team (5 if you count Luke Scott, possibly helping via a trade) and adding another to that list isn't productive.

If there was a 3B/SS/P/1B available right now and the market was the same as it is for Holliday/Bay, I would very disappointed in AM.

But under the current situation, not disappointed at all.

See there is no perfect fit for the Orioles. Teixeira was and now that opportunity has passed. Now we've got to take what we can get.

Holliday is a RH #4 bat and so is Bay. Just because they don't play 1B doesn't mean we shouldn't be pursuing them, Holliday especially because of his ties to Atkins and Roberts.

We can't just keep waiting for that "right player" otherwise we may miss out on opportunities to add players that can really make a difference on this club.

The more talent we pass on, that's more talent we'll have to add in the future. Our young players will only develop to a certain point and we'll need a lot more talent than just them to compete.

See there is no perfect fit for the Orioles. Teixeira was and now that opportunity has passed. Now we've got to take what we can get.

Holliday is a RH #4 bat and so is Bay. Just because they don't play 1B doesn't mean we shouldn't be pursuing them, Holliday especially because of his ties to Atkins and Roberts.

We can't just keep waiting for that "right player" otherwise we may miss out on opportunities to add players that can really make a difference on this club.

The more talent we pass on, that's more talent we'll have to add in the future. Our young players will only develop to a certain point and we'll need a lot more talent than just them to compete.

Are Holliday and/or Bay for 5-6 years starting in 2010, better options than say Lee, Pena or Berkman for 2-3 years, starting in 2011?

I find it hilarious that in this thread your clamoring for high priced FA's while simultaneously extolling the virtues of the Minnesota Twins in another.

Once again, the bolded is a truth, but one that doesn't apply here. We can't add the talent we NEED now, so we wait. Tex would have filled a need, but in the long run we will be better off signing one of the big FAs in 2010-2011 winter than the 2008-2009 winter. Adding any/all talent now won't help us compete. We could sign BOTH Bay and Hollida, we could afford it. It would probably win us a few more games, but its not the way to build the best possible team for long term competition.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by this, Trea:

So not signing FAs now hurts us in the "singing FAs next year" category? I don't see how. The three or so games more we win this year won't change anyone's mind when they are deciding where to go. Money will, and that will be money we haven't wasted on Holliday.

He pretty much said that he needs to see how some young guys do in 2010 before he can know exactly what's needed to go from Phase 2 to Phase 3. And, unless you believe in crystal balls or Ouija boards, he's right about that...

Once again, the bolded is a truth, but one that doesn't apply here. We can't add the talent we NEED now, so we wait. Tex would have filled a need, but in the long run we will be better off signing one of the big FAs in 2010-2011 winter than the 2008-2009 winter. Adding any/all talent now won't help us compete. We could sign BOTH Bay and Hollida, we could afford it. It would probably win us a few more games, but its not the way to build the best possible team for long term competition.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by this, Trea:

So not signing FAs now hurts us in the "singing FAs next year" category? I don't see how. The three or so games more we win this year won't change anyone's mind when they are deciding where to go. Money will, and that will be money we haven't wasted on Holliday.

See people keep saying "wait until next year."

Have you looked at what is available next year though?

Holliday is the best bat not named Mauer out of the two FA classes.

If you want us to grab FA that's better than Holliday, you'll have to wait two offseasons until after 2011, and then that FA class might yield a better opportunity.

Are you really willing to wait two years to add difference making talent?

The FA pool was thin I admit. But look around. The economy is in the crapper, teams are dumping salary. MLB is well aware we have followed the formula to build a winning franchise. AND we had plenty to spend.

Basically, you are disappointed in your own expectations. That's not MacPhail's fault.

If you were posting this on January 27, and nothing had happend since before the Solstice holidays, then yes, you'd have reason to be disappointed. But it isn't, so by my reckoning this post is about four to six weeks premature.

As to the part of your post in bold...why are those two things mutually exclusive???

See there is no perfect fit for the Orioles. Save for the fact he had no interest in coming here except as a visiting player Teixeira was and now that opportunity has passed. Now we've got to take what we can get.

Fixed that for ya...

If the Orioles had signed Teixeira, would that have somehow enabled them to take more than they could otherwise get? Was there a surprise superpower that came with that signing we didn't know about? Inquiring minds want to know!

Actually I didn't mention Lacky, Holliday, Bay, or Teirexa in this post And I am not blaming AM for my expectations. I personally think AM is doing a great job. I did, however, I do recall that in my my original post I discouraged any big contracts.

But I realize that the fault is mine. I should have made my position a little more clearly. What I should have said, "I'm disappointed AM didn't pick up an experienced, defensively oriented, and experienced position player for a year or two until Josh Bell is ready."

I very sorry if I upset anyone, and your points are well taken. Except the guy who suggested : "Basically, you are disappointed in your own expectations. That's not MacPhail's fault." I'm not quite sure of how to take that.

Actually I didn't mention Lacky, Holliday, Bay, or Teirexa in this post And I am not blaming AM for my expectations. I personally think AM is doing a great job. I did, however, I do recall that in my my original post I discouraged any big contracts.

But I realize that the fault is mine. I should have made my position a little more clearly. What I should have said, "I'm disappointed AM didn't pick up an experienced, defensively oriented, and experienced position player for a year or two until Josh Bell is ready."

I very sorry if I upset anyone, and your points are well taken. Except the guy who suggested : "Basically, you are disappointed in your own expectations. That's not MacPhail's fault." I'm not quite sure of how to take that.

You are supposed to take it that you had higher expectations than you should have. You explained why you did, but that doesn't mean they were valid. And in fact, considering how you corrected yourself above, you are incorrect anyway since that is exactly what Atkins is (a "defensively oriented, and experienced position player for a year or two until Josh Bell is ready"), like it or not.

Archived