Albert Pujols won NL triple crown for decade of 2000's

Boy Howdy

SABR member Wells Oliver made me aware that Albert Pujols won the National League triple crown for the decade 2000-2009, despite playing only 8 1/2 seasons.

Another SABR member, Gary Collard, adds that the only other NL players to do it since 1900 were Honus Wagner (1900's) & Rogers Hornsby (1920's).

The last guy to do it before Pujols, and the only American Leaguer ever was Ted Williams in the 1940's. Williams, of course, did it despite missing his age 24-26 seasons while serving in WWII.

Pretty cool, eh?

I mean, this HAS to be more impressive than winning a single season triple crown. Just not as noteworthy, right?

To me it is, just because it requires extended domination.

On the other hand, since 1900 players have won 13 of a possible 220 single-season Triple Crowns (110 in each league), or just under 6%.

Going by decades, four of a possible 22 have been won, or just over 18%.

I mean, this HAS to be more impressive than winning a single season triple crown. Just not as noteworthy, right?

On the other hand, since 1900 players have won 13 of a possible 220 single-season Triple Crowns (110 in each league), or just under 6%.

Good stuff. Clearly, it's rare to have someone dominate in each category like that, partly because the power tool and the hitting tool are sometimes opposed to one another. Except in the greats.

Perhaps the difference between the frequencies of people succeeding at this can be chalked up as an example of the problems with small samples: a given year is going to be far more prone to anomalous performances (either single year break outs, or lucky years or whathaveyou) whereas a decade evens those outliers out a bit?

On second thought, though, you would think that the small sample might lead to guys who don't have the power/BA to lead an entire decade could benefit from the single-year anomaly-boost and win a Triple Crown. Hmmm.

I kind of think on the same line of Boy Howdy...that this has to be a little "easier to do". I do not have the time to look at the numbers but I would expect the HR leader for each League for each decade has been that leagues RBI leader for the decade at a much higher percentage than if you do that comparison by season. If you are hitting HR for an extended period of time, you know the RBIs are going to follow. Then the Avg. is just the extra piece of the puzzle.

But yea, fat Albert is a beast.

Shall we start a pool predicting when JTrea will start carpet-bombing the forums with "sign Pujols" threads?

I have the day pitchers and catchers report, 2011.

If the Cardinals sign Holliday for enough...we may get the opportunity to see this.

Well it requires extended domination, however, there's a couple of things that take away from the achievement imo.

First of all, timing is key. So when one enters his peak along with anyone else in the league plays a big role.

Secondly, with so many players switching teams nowadays, the competition is fewer.

I'd also add that AVG and RBI aren't among the most important stats imo.

Still amazing though.

Looking at the small list of guys who accomplished either feat, and considering the magnitude of the names, it's kind of like asking "Is it easier to win $50-million in the lottery or find it on the sidewalk".

99.9% of folks won't be doing either, so another feather in the cap of "El Hombre".

SABR member Wells Oliver made me aware that Albert Pujols won the National League triple crown for the decade 2000-2009, despite playing only 8 1/2 seasons.

Another SABR member, Gary Collard, adds that the only other NL players to do it since 1900 were Honus Wagner (1900's) & Rogers Hornsby (1920's).

The last guy to do it before Pujols, and the only American Leaguer ever was Ted Williams in the 1940's. Williams, of course, did it despite missing his age 24-26 seasons while serving in WWII.

Pretty cool, eh?

I love Albert:):wedge::clap3:

Archived