The Epicness that is #22 Maryland vs #4 Duke (Game Thread)

Something Duke did very well defensively was to pressure the ball and the players one pass away. It forced some bad passes and turnovers just like in the first matchup. If I'm playing MD I'm doing the same thing although perhaps if you don't have a long and athletic guy like Nolan Smith to cover Greivis he'll make you pay for the pressure.

Go Terps!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I almost had the score right, 79-78 Terps, but I sure am glad it wasn't that close.:D

That was one of the best Terps games I've ever seen. Back and forth the entire game, some great moments, and some bad moments. But the result is all that matters, and any time you beat Duke, it is extra special.

The biggest concern I have, though, and it has being occuring more and more the last few weeks, is the rebounding. Obviously Zoubek is an equalizer that the Terps can't rightly go up against, but throughout the game, and particularly in the 2nd half, the Terps were getting beaten on the rebounds, especially on the defensive side, and letting Duke have too many second looks and shots. It was getting really depressing at different points during the 2nd half watching this.

MD won last night because Duke missed too many free throws and open 3s.

I didn't see a team that was better than Duke last night...I saw a team get a little lucky on some things...like Bowie's 3, Duke missing shots, etc....

The rebounding was a huge advantage for MD early....This game was MD's game for the first 10-15 minutes because of that and because of emotion...But Duke really started to assert itself on the boards and as you mention, this could be a huge problem for the Terps.

If I am MD, I am hoping to avoid GaTech in the first ACC tourney game because I think Tech would beat them because of that rebounding advantage.

MD won last night because Duke missed too many free throws and open 3s.

I didn't see a team that was better than Duke last night...I saw a team get a little lucky on some things...like Bowie's 3, Duke missing shots, etc....

The rebounding was a huge advantage for MD early....This game was MD's game for the first 10-15 minutes because of that and because of emotion...But Duke really started to assert itself on the boards and as you mention, this could be a huge problem for the Terps.

If I am MD, I am hoping to avoid GaTech in the first ACC tourney game because I think Tech would beat them because of that rebounding advantage.

So any team that beats another team that doesn't have a good night from the floor and at the line is lucky?

Amazing game for the Terps. We clearly outhustled them in the early going, and then withstood the charge when they played with more intensity than us from about the 4 minute mark in the first half to about the 12 minute mark in the second half.

Some big contributions from the secondary guys, everyone made at least one big play. The shot Vasquez hit to put us up 4, I have no idea how that goes in, and the one high off the glass was equally ridiculous. Just an incredible player with amazing body control.

So any team that beats another team that doesn't have a good night from the floor and at the line is lucky?

The luck factor was Bowie showing he actually should be in the ACC...The Terps threw up some wild shots in the lane that went down...That type of thing.

And yes, when one of the top 10 FT shooting teams in the country missing a lot of key FTs, that is lucky...Just as it would have been lucky had it been the other way around because MD is also a very good FT shooting team.

The luck factor was Bowie showing he actually should be in the ACC...The Terps threw up some wild shots in the lane that went down...That type of thing.

And yes, when one of the top 10 FT shooting teams in the country missing a lot of key FTs, that is lucky...Just as it would have been lucky had it been the other way around because MD is also a very good FT shooting team.

Duke missed 6 FTs and lost by 7....

If anything, what was "unlucky" for dook was that MD went 17-19. An insanely good percentage.

Duke missed 6 FTs and lost by 7....

If anything, what was "unlucky" for dook was that MD went 17-19. An insanely good percentage.

But its when they missed them...Late in the game..Singler missed 1...Smith missed the front end of a 1 and 1.

Those are 80%+ FT shooters.

And with the FTs, the lead could have been extended to a 2 possession game and that totally changes everything in a close game that is very late in the game.

As a team Duke shoots 75% from the line. If they had shot 75% from the line last night they would've hit two more free throws than they did. That seems to be well within a normal variance from game to game. I certainly would not describe it as luck.

But its when they missed them...Late in the game..Singler missed 1...Smith missed the front end of a 1 and 1.

Those are 80%+ FT shooters.

And with the FTs, the lead could have been extended to a 2 possession game and that totally changes everything in a close game that is very late in the game.

This is all true but now you're really reaching -- basically assuming if those shots go down that MD doesn't score on their end, or misses their FTs and that dook is able to convert on the other end.

Bottom line, I wouldn't call it "unlucky" that they missed those 6 FTs or that missing those 6 FTs led to the loss which is why it was unlucky.

As a team Duke shoots 75% from the line. If they had shot 75% from the line last night they would've hit two more free throws than they did. That seems to be well within a normal variance from game to game. I certainly would not describe it as luck.

I can mash potato (i can mash potato)! Do the twist!

It is very lucky FOR THE TERPS, that Duke missed key FTs down the stretch(from very good FT shooters) that could have made it a 2 posession game.

That is an absolutely correct statement.

Just as if Duke had won the game because Hayes and Vazquez missed a few FTs late, that would have been lucky for Duke.

People hate that word so bad but it doesn't take away from the truth of the game.

And no, that's not why MD won but making those FTs makes it a totally different game.

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday so...MARYLAND!!!

I've been praising Jordan Williams all year and he has shown up in big games. Vasquez keeps hitting big shots as usual, he has become a clutch player(as if he wasn't already). Really satisfying win. No jinx, but I think the Terps can make a run at the ACC tournament championship. Playing very well right now. :clap3:

Also, I haven't read a single post from this entire thread but I saw the word "luck" being thrown around in a couple posts above me. There was absolutely no "luck" involved in this win, Maryland was the better team period. They hit the big shots down the stretch, Duke did not. I assume the trolls came out in this thread.

Archived