The Epicness that is #22 Maryland vs #4 Duke (Game Thread)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a reasonable opinion. If they play in the tourney, Duke will probably be favored by 6-8 points in Vegas. These two teams have separated themselves in conference. It'll take a minor upset to prevent another match-up.

With 6 or 7 minutes left, Sports Guy posted, "Big key from here on out will be if either team, particularly MD, starts to tire some."

My thought right away was that the energy of the crowd would absolutely carry the Terps down the stretch. Fatigue would not be a factor because of the home crowd.

I really think fatigue is a little over rated with college kids. These kids live for an atmosphere like tonight. Also Gary was able to give GV and EH a good rest when Bowie led a charge so both were fresher down the stretch.

Maryland has held tough in similar games this year and won the last 4 minutes again.

Go Terps.

Just for clarification...in the post I quoted, Sports Guy was commenting on the rest that Gary gave Vasquez from about the 10 to 13 minute mark, and was predicting it may help in that last 7 minutes.

Maryland, we're all behind you. Wave high the BLACK and GOLD, For there is nothing half so glorious As to see our team victorious. We've got the team, Terps, We've got the steam, Terps, So keep on fighting, don't give in! M-A-R-Y-L-A-N-D Maryland will win!

I'm so ecstatic! Drink up boys!!

:new_beer:

Just for clarification...in the post I quoted, Sports Guy was commenting on the rest that Gary gave Vasquez from about the 10 to 13 minute mark, and was predicting it may help in that last 7 minutes.

Thanks, I have a hard time watching a game and following game threads. I get a little wound up, to say the least. Thanks again.

I really think Gary was just going to rest GV and hayes for about a minute coming up on the TV time out, but Bowie led the surge and Maryland took the lead back and forced Coach K to call a TO before the TV time, and the seniors got about 10 minutes actual time to relax.

Great win tonight for the Terps on National TV beating #4 Duke. If people didn't know about the Terps before tonight now they do. They are a scrappy battling team that dealt with pressure the past two weeks. Obviously one of the best #22 team's you've ever seen. If they beat Virginia they should move up to #16. Adrian Bowie off the bench was huge tonight and Williams improved foul shooting were keys to the win. Gary Williams is the coach of the year without a doubt in the ACC and depending on how far they go in the NCAA tournament will receive strong national consideration as well.

The VT double overtime win Saturday and tonight's win were like being in the sweet 16 and final 8. Exciting wins. Did anyone comment about the VT coaches comments before the game Saturday? He said the Terps were pretty to watch and his team were battlers. He's right the Terps are colorful with Vasquez leading the way. The national guys on ESPN tonight are saying Kansas and Syracuse are the top 2 teams favored to win it all. We'll see about that. Don't count out the Terps.

Thanks, I have a hard time watching a game and following game threads. I get a little wound up, to say the least. Thanks again.

I really think Gary was just going to rest GV and hayes for about a minute coming up on the TV time out, but Bowie led the surge and Maryland took the lead back and forced Coach K to call a TO before the TV time, and the seniors got about 10 minutes actual time to relax.

Oh, your post was fine. I just didn't want to misrepresent his opinion. Considering the Terps were coming off a double-OT road victory, and then had to go to class, and probably didn't sleep well because of their excitement about tonight's game, yada yada yada, fatigue COULD have been a factor. But it was clear that the crowd and the senior leadership wasn't going to let that happen.

But... now there's no chance those kids sleep much tonight. And they'll hopefully go to class tomorrow and the rest of the week. They will be mentally and physically fatigued when they go ON THE ROAD to finish out the regular season at UVA.

Holy crap, what an amazing game and I was there. One of the greatest sports games I have ever been to, I had so much fun. With all the funny signs like Gary with a light saber saying, "Jordan, I am your father!" and a pic of Jordan and The Vasquez Shimmy Poster with the movable arms(One of the best posters I've ever seen at a game), and "Jersey Shore stole the Fist Pump from Gary Williams, I had such a blast. TERPS BABY! Hopefully we win out or at least until the ACC Final to get a 3 seed.

I'm happy for all the MD students, especially the upperclassmen, who finally got to experience a good season and the excitement of a crucial MD- Duke game. Last nights atmosphere was reminiscent of some of the great Cole games of the '90s and early '00s

Well I almost had the score right, 79-78 Terps, but I sure am glad it wasn't that close.:D

That was one of the best Terps games I've ever seen. Back and forth the entire game, some great moments, and some bad moments. But the result is all that matters, and any time you beat Duke, it is extra special.

The biggest concern I have, though, and it has being occuring more and more the last few weeks, is the rebounding. Obviously Zoubek is an equalizer that the Terps can't rightly go up against, but throughout the game, and particularly in the 2nd half, the Terps were getting beaten on the rebounds, especially on the defensive side, and letting Duke have too many second looks and shots. It was getting really depressing at different points during the 2nd half watching this.

Archived