Ryan Berry looking good

RVAbird

There are only a handful of college pitchers that can transition to High A in their first full season. I'm surprised at the "expectation" that Berry, a ninth rounder who had been discussed around the second round before his injury, should get to Frederick so quickly - especially when comping Berry against college pitchers taken in the third or fourth round. He is doing just fine with a string of quality starts.
But Berry was a very mature pitcher.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mature is a good description. So would "focused" be.

Berry was both while a freshman at Rice. He showed great maturity and focus in a game at Greenville vs. ECU. The noisy (I'm being kind in my description of the Pirate fans) fans could not get to him. He had 11 Ks in 7 innings, but the impressive thing that it was only Berry and the catcher in spite of the "Purple" and "Gold" noise generated by the fans.

His first three starts might have been "merely" okay, but that shouldn't at all take away from the filthiness the figures from the last three indicate. Looking forward to more steady (though not rushed) progress. How's his stuff currently looking on a pitch-type basis?

I'm more interested in his health (mechanics and not overuseing him) than I am with his league. He needs to be a pitcher that can stick around for a while. Getting minor league batters out is nice, but only if you've developed into a guy who can reasonably be counted on to be healthy on the major league level. I love his potential, and wouldn't mind him in Frederick at all, but I totally understand a conservative approach with the kid (where ever that is).

From Tony's prospect list...

At just 20-years of age Berry tossed 308.1 innings at Rice while frequently throwing over 100 pitches in a start so the question remains whether he can overcome that over use and fulfill his potential. Another concern for some is his mechanics due to the fact he lands stiff and upright, putting stress on his arm.

But Berry was a very mature pitcher.

Sure he was. And I'm sure we all have the same high hopes that Berry is healthy and can get back to the point where he was a top college pitcher last spring.

I only ask that those who want him at Frederick take some perspective into consideration regarding how many college pitchers from last year's draft are starting in High A.

300 innings in three years of college isn't necesarily a terrible thing. Some of the high pitch counts might be. As for his mechanics, they are what they are. They certainly don't seem to be babying him as far as pitch counts and innings at Delmarva. I suspect he's pitching in Frederick before the end if June. Probably sooner with the lack of depth at Frederick and the excess depth at Delmarva and extended ST.

If you read Tony's write-up incorrectly like I did, 300 innings in a year at Rice sure seems like a big deal. But, that's not what he said, so...whew! :D

Before the season, I was of the opinion he should have started in Frederick too but now I'm a believer in how they handle pitching prospects. Berry is a month into his first taste of pro ball, successful and on the verge of a promotion. His confidence must be through the roof right now, which is especially important when coming back from an injury. This sets him up for success. I don't see his great start in Delmarva as a reason as to why he should have started in Frederick but rather as to why the O's have been successful in developing pitchers.

Good points. Honestly, after what I heard about him before the season I thought he was ready for Frederick and he probably was. However, I do see the value in getting that solid success foundation under his belt.

Now though, it's time to move him up to Frederick. If he can keep up the success I don't see any reason why he can't get 10-12 starts at Bowie before the season is out.

This also would open up a spot in the rotation for Bundy or Henry.

Lets let him enjoy a bit more success with the Birds, then move him up around draft day. Let him be healthy and have great confidence before the next step. If he does well at Fredrick, three starts at Bowie should be enough to wet his appitite and get ready for next year. O's have done job with young pitchers. No hurry to rush this one either.:wedge:

Good, I'm glad he's working out as hoped. I kinda like the glasses as well, kind of a retro look he's got going, but I wonder if they'll have him switch over to contacts. Are there any current MLB pitchers who where glasses??

Good points. Honestly, after what I heard about him before the season I thought he was ready for Frederick and he probably was. However, I do see the value in getting that solid success foundation under his belt.

Now though, it's time to move him up to Frederick. If he can keep up the success I don't see any reason why he can't get 10-12 starts at Bowie before the season is out.

This also would open up a spot in the rotation for Bundy or Henry.

I was just thinking about this at work today. Moving a guy up from DMV would be a good way to open a spot for someone that hasn't been at a full season team but could (or should be). We have a lot of low level pitching talent that needs innings.

I was just thinking about this at work today. Moving a guy up from DMV would be a good way to open a spot for someone that hasn't been at a full season team but could (or should be). We have a lot of low level pitching talent that needs innings.

Tony Butler has been hit hard his last couple of starts. REALLY hard last time out.

There could be explanations. But if that's a reflection of badly sub-par stuff, then I wonder how long he'll hold on to his spot in the rotation while Henry and Bundy continue to pitch out of the pen.

Archived