Is Mahoney a prospect now?

wildcard

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man he is swinging the bat well right now. I would be nice to have a legit power prospect jump on the radar. Did it just "click" for him or is this a nice temporary streak. Time will tell.

Aren't the O's due for a "lightning in a bottle" prospect to come from nowhere and turn into a stud?

Man he is swinging the bat well right now. I would be nice to have a legit power prospect jump on the radar. Did it just "click" for him or is this a nice temporary streak. Time will tell.

Aren't the O's due for a "lightning in a bottle" prospect to come from nowhere and turn into a stud?

I'd say waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy past due.

So if he finishes off the season hitting over .400 at Bowie with an OPS above 1.000, does he get a serious look in spring training to jump to the major league club? Plenty of people make the jump from AA to the majors although its usually after a full season at AA.

So if he finishes off the season hitting over .400 at Bowie with an OPS above 1.000, does he get a serious look in spring training to jump to the major league club? Plenty of people make the jump from AA to the majors although its usually after a full season at AA.

Are you assuming that he also looks good in the AFL?

If the starting job is open, he'd be a contender. If the O's sign or trade for a veteran, Mahoney's out of luck. (Personally, I'd stick Scott at 1B and give Mahoney and Snyder a chance to knock him back to LF/DH).

That would probably be about 200 at bats hitting .400 in AA. I wonder when's the last time a player hit .400 with power over a 200 at bat period in the Eastern League.

Markakis played only about 6 weeks at AA and jumped to the majors the following spring. And he was only 21 when he was at Bowie; Mahoney is 23.

I'm still skeptical, but let August play out and then send Mahoney to the AFL. If he continues to thrive, next spring could be interesting.

Markakis played only about 6 weeks at AA and jumped to the majors the following spring. And he was only 21 when he was at Bowie; Mahoney is 23.

I'm still skeptical, but let August play out and then send Mahoney to the AFL. If he continues to thrive, next spring could be interesting.

When exactly does your skepticism go away on this guy? Just curious, he has been on an unbelievable tear and of course he can't keep this run up, but who would expect him too.

I don't think he could do anything else, the rest of the year that would diminish his season. He's definitely on the O's radar as a legit prospect now, regardless if he has a slight tailspin the rest of this year. Which I don't believe will happen

When exactly does your skepticism go away on this guy? Just curious, he has been on an unbelievable tear and of course he can't keep this run up, but who would expect him too.

I don't think he could do anything else, the rest of the year that would diminish his season. He's definitely on the O's radar as a legit prospect now, regardless if he has a slight tailspin the rest of this year. Which I don't believe will happen

I already answered your question. Understand me, I'm not rooting against Mahoney, nor do I have a predisposition that he can't be a serious prospect. And he doesn't need to hit .400 in August to get me on board. But, I do want to see some evidence that he can play consistently well at the AA level. It has been a great month for him, but it's just a month. This is a guy who had a .768 OPS in 2007, .624 in 2008, .740 last year. He's pretty much come out of nowhere. So to suggest he's going to parlay 4 hot weeks at AA to being on the major league team next spring is a bit of a leap. If he can do it, great. But I need to see him succeed at lower levels for a longer period of time before I'm convinced he's got a legit shot to do that. I'd love it if he could.

I already answered your question. Understand me, I'm not rooting against Mahoney, nor do I have a predisposition that he can't be a serious prospect. And he doesn't need to hit .400 in August to get me on board. But, I do want to see some evidence that he can play consistently well at the AA level. It has been a great month for him, but it's just a month. This is a guy who had a .768 OPS in 2007, .624 in 2008, .740 last year. He's pretty much come out of nowhere. So to suggest he's going to parlay 4 hot weeks at AA to being on the major league team next spring is a bit of a leap. If he can do it, great. But I need to see him succeed at lower levels for a longer period of time before I'm convinced he's got a legit shot to do that. I'd love it if he could.

This.

The good news is that he has great size AND athleticism. Even with those relatively low OPS numbers, the potential has been there the whole time, it just hasn't translated.

The hope is that it's starting to translate for real. The concern is that this is just another hot streak and we're all over reacting. The truth is that nobody knows yet.

The good news is that he has great size AND athleticism.

Believe me, I would love -- love -- to have a 6'7", 230 lb., athletic 1B who can run. Has there ever been such a player? All the 6'7" guys I can think of at 1B are plodders.

Archived