O's Minor Leaguers: "The worst body language of anyone in baseball"?

AgentOrange

Found this article very interesting. It has some ML tidbits as well under "The Buck Stops in Baltimore" section.

It had an NL vet say

“What do you have on the turnaround in Baltimore? Is everyone scared now so they’ve got to play hard?”

And then this gem:

A Showalter-influenced overhaul of the farm system also might be warranted -- one rival scout says the O’s minor leaguers display “the worst body language of anyone in baseball.”

It sounds like the problem is organization wide. There has been a clear turn around in the Majors. But my question is two-fold.

Have the people that go to minor league games noticed this?

Do you think we will see a similar turn around down there as well in the off season when Buck has more time to evaluate things?

Separate question. Who is strictly to blame for holding people accountable, the GM?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the fact the Orioles are playing better but hate the possiblity they were just dogging it under two hardworking guys.

That's understandable, but the dogging it can't be a reflection on 25 or 200 individuals. It's obviously a reflection of organizational culture. This - to me - has a strong negative reflection on MacPhail unless he really is powerless to move Angelos's lackeys.

I like the fact the Orioles are playing better but hate the possiblity they were just dogging it under two hardworking guys.

I don't think the "body language" reference means dogging it. To me -- if true -- it would suggest a lack of confidence and a general malaise. Which to me is more worrisome than a simple lack of effort.

I don't think the "body language" reference means dogging it. To me -- if true -- it would suggest a lack of confidence and a general malaise. Which to me is more worrisome than a simple lack of effort.

That is exactly how I read this. I have a hard time believing there is a vast last of effort in the minors. Every player is trying to get to the majors, I don't think there will be a lack of effort there. I think the confidence to get there is the problem.

Are you serious?
Yeah. I find this to be a meaningless statement. That doesn't mean I don't understand it, just that it has no meaning. Its too undefined, broad, and vague to be the damning indictment that many on here want to seem to consider it.

I certainly have little confidence in the Orioles development system, but this doesn't change my opinion of anything.

I can only think of one player who would fit that description for bad body language and it's true, it's pretty bad, but I would disagree that it's throughout the whole system.

I personally think additions like John Stockstill, Denny Hocking, and Mike Bordick have improved things this season.

Coaches and managers like Brad Komminsk, Gary Kendell, and Mike Griffin are just a few of the guy thought of highly in and out of the organization.

There are quality instructors and coaches in the Orioles system and I haven't noticed any horrible "lack of confidence or malaise" from the vast majority of the players.

I can only think of one player who would fit that description for bad body language and it's true, it's pretty bad, but I would disagree that it's throughout the whole system.

I personally think additions like John Stockstill, Denny Hocking, and Mike Bordick have improved things this season.

Coaches and managers like Brad Komminsk, Gary Kendell, and Mike Griffin are just a few of the guy thought of highly in and out of the organization.

There are quality instructors and coaches in the Orioles system and I haven't noticed any horrible "lack of confidence or malaise" from the vast majority of the players.

That's reassuring. I hoped that we would hear from someone who sees these guys (I don't).

That's reassuring. I hoped that we would hear from someone who sees these guys (I don't).

Indeed. I wonder if he's a scout watching the AAA team. That has had to be somewhat depressing at various times this year with all of the back and forth, injuries, off the field issues and worse than expected performance.

Archived