Nyjer Morgan

Dipper9

I'm not saying Nyjer isn't a jerk, but I really hate pitchers throwing at batters. I'm really surprised that we don't see more bats accidentally slip out of players' hands towards the pitcher after being thrown at.

Props to Nyjer for stealing 2nd and 3rd after they cowardly attacked him with a 95 mile an hour projectile.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying Nyjer isn't a jerk, but I really hate pitchers throwing at batters. I'm really surprised that we don't see more bats accidentally slip out of players' hands towards the pitcher after being thrown at.

Props to Nyjer for stealing 2nd and 3rd after they cowardly attacked him with a 95 mile an hour projectile.

Wow! Because it wasn't cowardly to run through the catcher on a non close play at home????

And props to the first baseman for nearly taking Nyjer's head off with that clothesline!!!!

Wow! Because it wasn't cowardly to run through the catcher on a non close play at home????

And props to the first baseman for nearly taking Nyjer's head off with that clothesline!!!!

I'd rather see the pitcher or catcher get in his face than throw a baseball at him.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPc4JZa3NI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPc4JZa3NI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

They could have a picture of Albert Belle in the breast pocket, it would be awesome.

Going to have to disagree with you on the barreling into the catcher thing. No way that was necessary on that play. I've played a lot of baseball and there are certainly times when the catcher should be barreled into. When he's on the other side of the plate and the throw is not even there yet and a slide actually would have made the play less close, it's dumb and unnecessary. 99% of the players in baseball would have slid. Jack-hole here found it as an opportunity to put some damage on another player.

I still think there's more behind the second beaning attempt then the Marlins being upset over him stealing bases down by 11. Like others have said, there's no unwritten rule not to steal when down by that much, just when up by that much. Knowing this jack-hole something else was said or done while he was stealing the bases or in the dugout afterwards.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from on the slide vs. barrel into thing...I just don't think it was THAT far out of line, but you're right that he should have slid....what was more out of line is the play the other week where he bumped into the catcher and went out of his way to do so...that was uncalled for.

I agree that there's more behind the 2nd beaning attempt...but I don't think it was an attempt to drill him, per se....I know that when I played, I threw at a couple batters and I knew right where it was going. Funny, I couldn't find the strike zone but I could hone in with laser precision on someones thigh or the middle of their back ;) I think Volstad meant to throw it behind him as that's just as much of an F/U or warning shot as a brushback is.

Morgan got drilled, took it like a man and then stole 2nd and 3rd. My guess is that they didn't like the fact that Morgan had the balls to do something like that.

But knowing what kind of character this guy is turning out to be, he probably said something to an infielder after getting drilled the first time.

It's the one thing I don't like about the DH...pitchers don't get a taste of their own medicine.

I've been waiting years for someone to get drilled, hop up, pick up the baseball and just beam it right back at the pitcher. I think that's what my move would be.

As for Volstad. You gotta love it when a big, brave pitcher throws behind someone. Come on, if you're going to throw at someone at least be man enough to actually hit him.

General statement -

I have no problem with a "purpose" pitch behind someone. No one is going to get hurt and the purpose is given.

I've been waiting years for someone to get drilled, hop up, pick up the baseball and just beam it right back at the pitcher. I think that's what my move would be.

I remember when Torii Hunter was playing for the Twins and got plunked by our old friend Danys Baez. He got supremely ticked off and threw the ball back at Danys. I wish I could find the video.

Edit: Article

I find the reversal of opinion on this interesting: the idea that the Marlins were at-fault for at least the brawl part because they threw at him again after he just stole two bases.

Say what you want about unwritten rules (they are not "bunk"; they certainly exist, but whether they should is a different issue), but why after the couple weeks he's had are people so willing to give Morgan the benefit of the doubt that he WASN'T purposely trying to show up the Marlins after a perfectly proportional (baseball-wise) response?

I know that when a guy gets hit he wants to go out and do something to make the other team pay, but under these circumstances he was just INVITING more trouble.

As someone who thinks that plunking is ridiculous, I kind of like Morgan's response to steal two bases there, as kind of a "you want to do that and then put me on base, well then screw you." I don't mind the pitcher throwing behind him because that's less dangerous than actually hitting a guy IMO, and Morgan probably said something to deserve it anyway.

On another note, his collision the night before seemed pretty clean to me. Where are the people who were upset that Josh Bell didn't run over the Angels catcher a few nights ago instead of trying to slide and getting called out on a terrible call? In retrospect, yeah, he probably would have been better off sliding, but it's not like he knew it was going to be a high throw.

Morgan does definitely seem to have attitude problems though. There's no way to defend the incident in St. Louis, or throwing a ball at a fan (if that really happened), or even the inside-the-park-homerun he gave up to Adam Jones.

Morgan is a complete jack-hole. Both of his run-ins with the catchers have not been warranted. He says he's trying to be hard-nosed, but when you are intentionally trying to hurt people than it's time for baseball to take care of things. Add in his complete disrespect for the fans, and this guy should get a "rest of the season" suspension.

As for throwing at him for stealing two bases while down by 11, I bet there's more to that story. I bet he probably said something to someone that got back to Volstad and he took care of business again, althbough I agree he should have at least hit him, and not thrown behind him.

Regardless, Morgan is certainly the MLB jack-hole of the year. I feel bad for the Nats fans who were riding high then came the Strasburg injury and now Morgan's actions are a black eye.

The guy is an idiot. He didn't need to barrell that catcher at all. His intent there was pretty malicious. He deserved to wear one.

Yikes man, did you forget the sarcasm icon or something?

As someone who thinks that plunking is ridiculous, I kind of like Morgan's response to steal two bases there, as kind of a "you want to do that and then put me on base, well then screw you." I don't mind the pitcher throwing behind him because that's less dangerous than actually hitting a guy IMO, and Morgan probably said something to deserve it anyway.

On another note, his collision the night before seemed pretty clean to me. Where are the people who were upset that Josh Bell didn't run over the Angels catcher a few nights ago instead of trying to slide and getting called out on a terrible call? In retrospect, yeah, he probably would have been better off sliding, but it's not like he knew it was going to be a high throw.

Morgan does definitely seem to have attitude problems though. There's no way to defend the incident in St. Louis, or throwing a ball at a fan (if that really happened), or even the inside-the-park-homerun he gave up to Adam Jones.

Wow....umm....wow... I mean people see things how they want to see them, but wow. Morgan had no reason to collide into either catcher and this is from someone who likes hard nosed baseball.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from on the slide vs. barrel into thing...I just don't think it was THAT far out of line, but you're right that he should have slid....what was more out of line is the play the other week where he bumped into the catcher and went out of his way to do so...that was uncalled for.

I agree that there's more behind the 2nd beaning attempt...but I don't think it was an attempt to drill him, per se....I know that when I played, I threw at a couple batters and I knew right where it was going. Funny, I couldn't find the strike zone but I could hone in with laser precision on someones thigh or the middle of their back ;) I think Volstad meant to throw it behind him as that's just as much of an F/U or warning shot as a brushback is.

Morgan got drilled, took it like a man and then stole 2nd and 3rd. My guess is that they didn't like the fact that Morgan had the balls to do something like that.

But knowing what kind of character this guy is turning out to be, he probably said something to an infielder after getting drilled the first time.

Yeah, like I said, I don't have a problem with Morgan stealing two bases after getting hit, it's just the guys attitude when taking all of this stuff together that makes me think he needs some serious time off.

I mean seriously, who charges the pitcher while appealing a suspension. That's a big FU to Selig (which is about the only cool thing he's done.)

This guy is trying to hurt somebody. I remember a football player on the Eagles named Andre Waters who ended several careers by diving into players knees. They appear to share the same mentality. If someone doesn't put a stop to this guy it's only a matter of time until he hurts someone very badly and if the Marlins pitcher nailed this fool to protect his players, which seems logical, he did the right thing.

That being said I'll add that Eddie Murray had the best response to being plunked. His next time at the plate he would hammer a liner back up the middle. Give the pitcher something to think about.

I’ve always liked the Marlins announcers; much better than listening to Aaron Boone, Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, etc.

The way Morgan has been acting the last few weeks; it was only a matter of time something like this would happen.

--

You guys have to watch this before MLB takes it down - Japanese announcer goes insane during the Marlins-Nationals brawl!

Archived