Interesting Hobgood article

SrMeowMeow

I saw an article recently suggesting that this was an issue for most minor-league clubs. The players, due to low salaries and per-diems, are essentially forced to subsist on fast- and junk-food.

Drungo often mentions that a salary cap would simply allow a club like the Yankees to throw unlimited resources into their minor-league clubs. I wonder why there isn't a team out there trying to do that now?

There are definitely organizations putting money into this. The few I know about use traveling nutritionists -- one I know educates players on how to eat healthily and cheaply, to help them avoid fast food (which is huge when you are talking about MiL players not making a ton and traveling an awful lot. Don't remember if they give health food stipends on the road.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The impression I got was that right now, he is characterized best by a word in the article: middling. Mind you, that's not his potential, which is still very high, highlighted by good stuff which with the right tailoring could become almost devastating. Having a legitimate four-pitch pitcher wouldn't at all be a problem, of course. The conditioning, though, is a huge issue for varying reasons. Since I'm not in the Salisbury area anymore, I haven't had a chance to see Hobgood in person, but through anecdotal evidence, it seems that he may not be able to get down to 220-225. However, I think that would be a great thing to shoot for, depending on how he continues to carry his weight.

His changing body composition (both lean vs. fat and general weight distribution) is probably a factor in his mechanical issues. Let's not forget that he is a young guy, and there are still going to be some changes along the way. The sooner nutritional and training regimes are ratcheted down well, the sooner we will see a steady base physique to work off of, which will only help him both physically and mentally as far as repeating motions. His ability to field the position and avoid small nagging, issues should improve as well. The spreads mentioned in the article are the stuff of typical teenage afterschool snack binges, appalling for developing professional players...but in a way not that surprising.

The "sounds" of the comments themselves should be seen with the appropriate perspective. I sense some frustration, and he is feeling the pressure, I think. I'm glad he recognizes the fact that nutrition and conditioning have been subpar and he needs to improve that; the organization should be doing all it can to help him (and others) in those processes. That being said, I disagree with him when it comes to things like running when eating unhealthily. It is incumbent on him to do anything possible to combat the ill effects of eating that way; otherwise those effects are compounded. If he's going to get to the bigs, he's going to have to do more than the other pitchers, or do certain things when he feels no point in doing them. Granted, he just turned 20, but just settling for the average mindset will get him nowhere. The changeup quotes aren't the stuff of red flags to me yet; I think he was just trying to keep a balanced look at it.

I still think there's a good chance for him to shake these early issues and go on to do quite well on the mound. However, there will have to be some elevations of effort on his part, and keen eyes kept on him from varying levels of the organization so they don't blow another investment. If, however, he's just not getting the idea (after a reasonable amount of time, mind you, and yes, I know that's open to interpretation), he just may have to be revisited as a hitting prospect before the option of cutting ties comes up.

I saw an article recently suggesting that this was an issue for most minor-league clubs. The players, due to low salaries and per-diems, are essentially forced to subsist on fast- and junk-food.

Drungo often mentions that a salary cap would simply allow a club like the Yankees to throw unlimited resources into their minor-league clubs. I wonder why there isn't a team out there trying to do that now?

I totally understand your point here, but Matt Hobgood, is a millionaire. He can afford to eat healthy, or hire a nutritionist if he felt that it was important to his career. Now, that said, there are a ton of MiL players who have to try and make ends meet on the low salary and are probably forced to have to make bad decisions when it comes to food.

It drives me crazy when someone says "the Orioles should do this" or the Orioles should provide that"....NO, the employee (in this case a ballplayer) should take care of seeking the proper training and instruction whether it be about his field position or his nutrition. The Orioles "hire" the players, pay them a signing bonus and then expect the player to work on his end of the contract. The off season isn't just for sitting around or hanging out with friends. It is for education and preparation for the next season so that the player is a better person physically and mentally.

As for the minor league "meals"... the players have to be smart about their choices. Even pizza delivery to a hotel can serve up and deliver a salad. There are so many healthy choices in restaurants these days (even fast food joints) that a player just has to be able to make good food choices and willing to stick to it. The ball players have to police themselves! It's their job!!

This has traditionally been the approach in baseball, but it goes back to a time before most people believed that nutrition mattered. These days, it strikes me as monumentally foolish. Teams have as much stake in these players' health and welfare as the players themselves do. And, unlike the players, they know -- or should know -- the right approach.

I don't know whether you have ever lived in a frat house or an undergrad dorm. If so, close your eyes and imagine that the future of your business depends on these these guys, in their late teens and early 20s, performing to their ultimate physical potential. Knowing that, do you really want to leave their health and nutrition in their hands? Do you really want to abdicate that responsibility?

I wouldn't, my business was on the line.

Had the most HRs by a HS player in 2009, and was the national HS player of the year, probably as much for his hitting as his pitching. However I don't think he would have been a first-round candidate on the strength of his hitting alone.

But others here would be more knowledgeable about how his hitting graded out.

I guess the South Atlantic League uses the DH? Too bad, I'm not advocating a conversion (it's way too soon to think of anything like that), but I'm really curious how he'd hit.

Hobgood compiled an 11-1 record, a 0.92 ERA, and 101 strikeouts in 68.1 innings this spring, issuing just 26 walks. He also batted .475 with 21 home runs and 55 RBIs, amassing a 1.88 slugging percentage forNorco in 2009. The 2008 Los Angeles Times Player of the Year, Hobgood hit a game-winning two-run home run in the second round of the playoffs against Temecula Valley, also hurling a scoreless inning of relief in the eighth and striking out the side in the process. Hobgood won Norco's opening-round postseason game by pitching a complete-game one-hitter and hitting a pair of home runs against Brea Olinda High. Opposing batters hit just .151 against Hobgood this year, while he has hit safely in 24 of Norco's 30 games.

This has traditionally been the approach in baseball, but it goes back to a time before most people believed that nutrition mattered. These days, it strikes me as monumentally foolish. Teams have as much stake in these players' health and welfare as the players themselves do. And, unlike the players, they know -- or should know -- the right approach.

I don't know whether you have ever lived in a frat house or an undergrad dorm. If so, close your eyes and imagine that the future of your business depends on these these guys, in their late teens and early 20s, performing to their ultimate physical potential. Knowing that, do you really want to leave their health and nutrition in their hands? Do you really want to abdicate that responsibility?

These guys are generally gym rats. I dont know if you work out, but people who do, generally have an idea on how to eat. I don't know a single person who works out religiously, who goes to McDonalds for dinner. I agree that the organization should have people in place for these kids to get assistance, but I also believe that self motivation is more important. They all know what is at stake, and the bonus babies have no excuse. They are all millionaires, they can afford their own trainers, nutritionists, etc.

College students aren't anyone's employees yet. Boys who sign to play baseball are now professionals and must act so without any excuses.

These guys are generally gym rats. I dont know if you work out, but people who do, generally have an idea on how to eat. I don't know a single person who works out religiously, who goes to McDonalds for dinner. I agree that the organization should have people in place for these kids to get assistance, but I also believe that self motivation is more important. They all know what is at stake, and the bonus babies have no excuse. They are all millionaires, they can afford their own trainers, nutritionists, etc.

Adult fitness freaks know how to eat, and usually do so intelligently. Not younger athletes, in my experience, at least not until a competent authority reads them the riot act and sells them on proper nutrition -- which usually happens in college, not in HS.

I know lots and lots of young athletes whose idea of good nutrition is a Muscle Milk chaser after devouring a fast food burger combo with large fires.

I guess the South Atlantic League uses the DH? Too bad, I'm not advocating a conversion (it's way too soon to think of anything like that), but I'm really curious how he'd hit.

Hobgood compiled an 11-1 record, a 0.92 ERA, and 101 strikeouts in 68.1 innings this spring, issuing just 26 walks. He also batted .475 with 21 home runs and 55 RBIs, amassing a 1.88 slugging percentage forNorco in 2009. The 2008 Los Angeles Times Player of the Year, Hobgood hit a game-winning two-run home run in the second round of the playoffs against Temecula Valley, also hurling a scoreless inning of relief in the eighth and striking out the side in the process. Hobgood won Norco's opening-round postseason game by pitching a complete-game one-hitter and hitting a pair of home runs against Brea Olinda High. Opposing batters hit just .151 against Hobgood this year, while he has hit safely in 24 of Norco's 30 games.

Or maybe we should convert him...

08calun73.jpgBabeRuth.jpg

I know lots and lots of young athletes whose idea of good nutrition is a Muscle Milk chaser after devouring a fast food burger combo with large fries.

I would believe that...my friend used to work at Aberdeen and said the players routinely ordered pizza and Chinese food and had it delivered to the clubhouse. They just don't have the money to be cooking really nutritional meals.

I would believe that...my friend used to work at Aberdeen and said the players routinely ordered pizza and Chinese food and had it delivered to the clubhouse. They just don't have the money to be cooking really nutritional meals.

It is not just money however, it is also knowledge and desire. You can cook yourself a nutritious meal for what Chinese delivery costs.

If they are eating in the clubhouse, the teams should be providing meals. Seriously, for a 7pm game, they could easily have some decent stuff brought in at 5 or so.

Maybe Hobgood figures it out but for now it looks like he will end up a bust.

This is two seasons he has basically sucked.

Saying it has been two seasons is severely mistaking the facts. Hobgood only made 8 starts for 26.2 innings in 2009. He only has 116 innings in his whole career with an approximate 4.68 ERA.

To call that a bust is just wrong.

Archived