"MacPhail Wanted Buck to Take Over" (This Season)

Arthur_Bryant

All this means is after it was decided that they would hire Showalter, MacPhail wanted him to start this season instead of at the beginning of next season.

For you naysayers, if MacPhail wanted Showalter so badly, why did it take him so long to hire him when Showalter was clearly available?

Anyone else find it interesting that as soon as the team was turning into an utter disaster under Samuel, that the decision was suddenly made to hire Showalter?

What is MacPhail going to say publicly? "Oh, I really didn't want Showalter, but the owner made me hire him." Everyone is going to play nice publicly but this off season will tell us the real story.

Yah, right.

I believe you when you say that Buck was not AM's first choice.

However, based on what I heard Buck say today it seems he would have never been interested, or wanted to manage the Orioles if it was not for AM and their talk and being on the same page philosophically and planning for the future.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For you naysayers, if MacPhail wanted Showalter so badly, why did it take him so long to hire him when Showalter was clearly available?

Why was he part of the hiring process at all? MacPhail was looking at various options: Valentine, Wedge, Showalter...Dempsey [lol].

Anyone else find it interesting that as soon as the team was turning into an utter disaster under Samuel, that the decision was suddenly made to hire Showalter?

Not at all, actually. Samuel was brought on to be an interim manager..at best..while the managerial hunt was going on. They're not going to perform a managerial hunt while Trembley is still manager.

What is MacPhail going to say publicly? "Oh, I really didn't want Showalter, but the owner made me hire him." Everyone is going to play nice publicly but this off season will tell us the real story.

Yah, right.

Do you actually think Angelos overrode MacPhail's choice?

Why, with everything we've known about Angelos over the years, do you question the possibility that it could have happened?
The reason I would question this, is that AM is not some GM flunky like Flanny/Duque were. He took the job with the understanding that PA would not interfere. If PA forced him to select a GM he was not comfortable with he would have resigned. Most likely Showalter was not his first choice, but I doubt that he had major objections. I have always been of the opinion that Buck was a compromise between Wedge and Dempsey(PA's choice) I have always wondered about a source who had the best interests of the Orioles at heart, giving out this info, whether it be true or not. If true it isn't helpful to the O's after the fact, for the public to know, and if not, then clearly the source is not unbiased.

Honestly believe the delay in hiring the new manager had something to do with the July Trade deadline. Maybe there was some power struggle objections with Buck coming aboard...and maybe Buck and Andy worked through the deadline together bouncing ideas to see how well they meshed. If anything Buck and Andy should be a good combination of different perspectives that convinces PA and co. to spend more (and wisely). Something that AM does not necessarily have a history in doing.

The reason I would question this, is that AM is not some GM flunky like Flanny/Duque were. He took the job with the understanding that PA would not interfere. If PA forced him to select a GM he was not comfortable with he would have resigned. Most likely Showalter was not his first choice, but I doubt that he had major objections. I have always been of the opinion that Buck was a compromise between Wedge and Dempsey(PA's choice) I have always wondered about a source who had the best interests of the Orioles at heart, giving out this info, whether it be true or not. If true it isn't helpful to the O's after the fact, for the public to know, and if not, then clearly the source is not unbiased.

Bravo Sierra. Andy has aspirations to be the commish and Angelos has established himself as a powerful owner. Bottom line you don't get to be commissioner by leaving Angelos in the lurch.

Bravo Sierra. Andy has aspirations to be the commish and Angelos has established himself as a powerful owner. Bottom line you don't get to be commissioner by leaving Angelos in the lurch.
PA has the reputation as one of the worst owners in the game. I doubt AM resigning would have much impact on his future aspirations. AM is much more highly regarded in baseball circles than Angelos.

PA has the reputation as one of the worst owners in the game. I doubt AM resigning would have much impact on his future aspirations. AM is much more highly regarded in baseball circles than Angelos.

Amongst his peers, the other owners this is not the case due to his work during the last labor negotiations. When the Nats moved to town, he got a sweetheart deal. The other owners know it's better to have Angelos on their side than not.

We don't know for sure if this is true. Perhaps, in answer to you, Angelos has given him general budget parameters.

Well I just find it very interesting Showalter mentioned that Angelos would give him everything he wanted, when MacPhail is supposedly in charge of that dept in terms of players and money.

Trembley often spoke of MacPhail giving him what he needed, and not PGA.

Well I just find it very interesting Showalter mentioned that Angelos would give him everything he wanted, when MacPhail is supposedly in charge of that dept in terms of players and money.

Trembley often spoke of MacPhail giving him what he needed, and not PGA.

Angelos was quoted in the paper telling Beattie, "you're not in Montreal anymore, you can spend here.". Then he turned around, not giving B&F a budget figure and still had to approve any deal. In short, Andy may make Angelos out to be a big wallet, but, there are still limits. Also, even if he was somehow given a blank check, it doesn't mean Andy was going to be irresponsible with it.

Amongst his peers, the other owners this is not the case due to his work during the last labor negotiations. When the Nats moved to town, he got a sweetheart deal. The other owners know it's better to have Angelos on their side than not.
Angelos also bucked the general wishes of the owners when he refused to support the lock out. But I really don't hang out with them as you apparently do, so maybe they all love him. I doubt it.

Angelos was quoted in the paper telling Beattie, "you're not in Montreal anymore, you can spend here.". Then he turned around, not giving B&F a budget figure and still had to approve any deal. In short, Andy may make Angelos out to be a big wallet, but, there are still limits. Also, even if he was somehow given a blank check, it doesn't mean Andy was going to be irresponsible with it.

Yep, AM has made it very clear that he runs money issues past PA, which is really no surprise since PA owns the team. I'd be shocked if there is any GM in MLB that is not given some kind of budget restraints to work under. Some owners are more "hands on" on money issues, but they all have control over the monies that their teams spend, whether it's through an overall budget or a transaction level approval process. All business work this way.

Archived