"MacPhail Wanted Buck to Take Over" (This Season)

Arthur_Bryant

Angelos also bucked the general wishes of the owners when he refused to support the lock out. But I really don't hang out with them as you apparently do, so maybe they all love him. I doubt it.

You do know the lockout you're referring to was two labor negotiations ago? For the first time, there was not a work stoppage the last time thanks in part to Angelos and his team. That scored him some points. Everyone knows "going to the mattresses" is bad for business. :D

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He then went onto to say that he was confident PA would supply him with everything he needed to be competitive.
So not Andy MacPhail but Peter Angelos?

So in breaking new according according to Jtreas's logic, Peter Angelos is the new GM of the Orioles and Andy McPhail has been demoted to beer vendor in the upper deck.

MacPhail has never been the chief spokesperson for the Orioles. It's typically been the manager. Good grief, this is such a ridiculous statement.

Actually I thought the complaint about MacPhail wanting to "control the entire baseball operations department" was a little more ridiculous.

I mean who ever heard of something as crazy as the GM of a baseball team having control over baseball operations.:rolleyes::scratchchinhmm:;)

So in breaking new according according to Jtreas's logic, Peter Angelos is the new GM of the Orioles and Andy McPhail has been demoted to beer vendor in the upper deck.

No I think you'll find that MacPhail will shift more to a figurehead role if he stays on and Showalter will be more in charge of baseball operations and will deal directly with Peter Angelos for what he wants.

Showalter is going to be more like Paul Richards during the Orioles first years in Baltimore after they moved from St. Louis IMO.

To me this thread has become a waste of time. The fact that Andy wanted Buck to start managing during this season is not news, it was reported before (and Buck said so before). The fact that, once Buck was chosen, Andy wanted him to start managing clearly doesn't mean that Buck was Andy's first choice. The fact that Buck may not have been Andy's first choice doesn't mean that Buck doesn't think highly of Andy, or vice versa, and it doesn't mean that the two won't work well together now that they're in this relationship. So none of this means anything.

As Tony says, action speaks louder than words. We will see how the two work together, both during the season and in the offseason. And if they get results together, I really don't care who wanted Buck here initially.

To me this thread has become a waste of time. The fact that Andy wanted Buck to start managing during this season is not news, it was reported before (and Buck said so before). The fact that, once Buck was chosen, Andy wanted him to start managing clearly doesn't mean that Buck was Andy's first choice. The fact that Buck may not have been Andy's first choice doesn't mean that Buck doesn't think highly of Andy, or vice versa, and it doesn't mean that the two won't work well together now that they're in this relationship. So none of this means anything.

As Tony says, action speaks louder than words. We will see how the two work together, both during the season and in the offseason. And if they get results together, I really don't care who wanted Buck here initially.

I think most of this is accurate, but also think Methodolgy's post (which I believe discussed an interview of Buck that played over a New York area radio station before today's game) included some new information that I know I hadn't heard/read before. Namely, Methodolgy posted the following:

"On my way to the game earlier today Buck was on 660 at 10:45 and talked for about 15 minutes.

One of the questions he was asked was: Why did you accept the Orioles job when there was a lot of talk of the Mets being interested in bringing you in after the season along with other teams....

Buck gave an answer of after talking with AM he knew the Orioles job was the one he wanted because he agreed with AM's philosophy and plan for the future. He then went onto to say that he was confident PA would supply him with everything he needed to be competitive.

Sorry if this was talked about earlier in the thread, but I just got back from the game and didn't feel like reading the 5 pages. Also sorry to rain on Jtrea's parade of wanting AM out of here because Buck made it seem pretty clear that he reason he took the job was because of AM."

Although not earth shattering statments, the two bolded statements are notable in this discussion and the O's in general, and I believe new information.

I think most of this is accurate, but also think Methodolgy's post (which I believe discussed an interview of Buck that played over a New York area radio station before today's game) included some new information that I know I hadn't heard/read before.

I agree -- the most worthwhile post in the thread, and it suggests that Buck and Andy are on the same page. That doesn't mean they will always be in 100% in agreement, but I think the combo could be very effective.

I agree -- the most worthwhile post in the thread, and it suggests that Buck and Andy are on the same page. That doesn't mean they will always be in 100% in agreement, but I think the combo could be very effective.

I agree. I think they both are experienced baseball men that respect each other. And contrary to what some on here believe, it wouldn't surprised me if AM likes having another strong baseball mind, like Buck, to bounce ideas off of and to delegate some responsibility to, especially since Krivsky left. They could work very well together, only time will tell. AM could also use BS as another voice to convince PJA on some spending issues.

Honestly believe the delay in hiring the new manager had something to do with the July Trade deadline. Maybe there was some power struggle objections with Buck coming aboard...and maybe Buck and Andy worked through the deadline together bouncing ideas to see how well they meshed. If anything Buck and Andy should be a good combination of different perspectives that convinces PA and co. to spend more (and wisely). Something that AM does not necessarily have a history in doing.

This will be the most interesting Orioles off-season in over a decade, IMO.

This will be the most interesting Orioles off-season in over a decade, IMO.

The 2003-04 offseason was pretty interesting -- Miggy, Lopez, Raffy, Ponson, the long attempt to court Vlad, the interest in Pudge. Pretty hard to top that in terms of pure interest. But this could be more meaningful if things play out well.

In the offseason after Buck's first season with Diamondbacks, they signed Todd Stottlemyre, Randy Johnson and Steve Finley and traded for Luis Gonzalez.

They basically got the core of their future competitive team under Buck in one offseason.

Now the Orioles won't do something that drastic, but they can get the middle of the order solidified at least for their next competitive team.

Signing Werth or Beltre and trading for Fielder or Gonzalez would really boost this team in terms of competitiveness next season and beyond.

We could add 10 WAR this offseason with two players alone.

Andy MacPhail hired Buck... check

Buck wanted to manage the Orioles... check

The Orioles are playing well with Buck as their manager... check

Fans are excited about the O's in September... check

A few hope that Buck and Andy will fight this winter which will cause Andy to lose his job... sadly, check

Many hope that Andy and Buck will work together to continue to build a winning team... check

This thread is very sad. Posters on here have continued to run with some pieces of incomplete information made loose connections and extrapolated the situation to fit thier bias beliefs. This topic has brought out the worst in many very good and long time posters. In the thread Buck himself seems to be contridicting many of the conclusions. We have posters that seem to fail to be able to understand the comlexities of high level executive highing. We have Trea acting as he sees more about the operations of the ownership and FO of the O's than the vast knowledge he has about players from Gameday. The truth for us fans is the fastest way the O's get back to contention is Buck and AM ending up working has a great team. Something I expect to happen. The blow it up crowd was right and it seems AM has done a good job with this and it seems we are in good position to take the steps to move to contention.

Only if MacPhail stays out of the way and gives Buck exactly what he asks for...

You my friend are a fool. Vatech might just be right about your condition. Just how do you reconcile Buck saying he agrees with the path AM has taken? It was striaght from his mouth not your imigination.

Archived