This just made my day...

MacPhail briefly discussed his own contract situation, something I'm pretty sure that we'll hear more and more about in the months ahead. MacPhail’s deal expires after the 2011 season and he said that he has no plans to approach owner Peter Angelos and discuss an extension.

“I don’t think it’s fair to put him in that position. The deal was the deal and we’ll talk about it, as far as I’m concerned, when it’s over,” MacPhail said.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/10/macphail_wont_approach_angelos.html

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I read the article this morning, I knew you would post it.

You clearly missed the point. MacPhail still might get an extension next year, he just isn't going to demand one while his initial contract is up. He still could be here after 2011.

When I read the article this morning, I knew you would post it.

You clearly missed the point. MacPhail still might get an extension next year, he just isn't going to demand one while his initial contract is up. He still could be here after 2011.

Let's hope not. Andy MacPhail has dragged this organization down to it's lowest point in franchise history. He didn't start this mess granted, but he sure finished it with his pathetic offseasons, inability to multitask, not acquiring enough position depth or difference making players to support the younger future franchise players and failing to realize a leadership change was needed at the mangager's position until the Orioles had suffered one of the worst starts in franchise history.

Only Buck Showalter saved us from complete destruction and restored the confidence and pride in the players and the organization.

If PGA won't fire MacPhail, I'd like to see him promote him out of the GM role, and Buck being allowed to bring his own GM in.

Let's hope not. Andy MacPhail has dragged this organization down to it's lowest point in franchise history. He didn't start this mess granted, but he sure finished it with his pathetic offseasons, inability to multitask, not acquiring enough position depth or difference making players to support the younger future franchise players and failing to realize a leadership change was needed at the mangager's position until the Orioles had suffered one of the worst starts in franchise history.

Only Buck Showalter saved us from complete destruction and restored the confidence and pride in the players and the organization.

If PGA won't fire MacPhail, I'd like to see him promote him out of the GM role, and Buck being allowed to bring his own GM in.

First, listening to recent interviews, the talent simply didn't believe in Trembley and for some reason, didn't click with Samuel. It is hard to argue that MacPhail didn't collect the talent because they shouldn't have performed this well under Showalter then.

Second, MacPhail at least approached the mess with a plan, such as the additions of Tejada/Atkins to serve as stop-gaps this past season. Now, that failed utterly, but at least he had a plan AND also acknowledges that the plan didn't work.

Third, MacPhail can't really be promoted since he already holds the highest position available, with a dual "title" of GM.

EDIT: And Angelos will not fire MacPhail. The only way I see MacPhail leaving is when he decides to leave on his own.

Third, MacPhail can't really be promoted since he already holds the highest position available, with a dual "title" of GM.

He could be promoted to a higher status with the club - overseeing all of the operations within the organization, like a CEO.

That's supposedly what John Angelos was doing.

Right now AM is only the head of Baseball Ops.

First, listening to recent interviews, the talent simply didn't believe in Trembley and for some reason, didn't click with Samuel. It is hard to argue that MacPhail didn't collect the talent because they shouldn't have performed this well under Showalter then.

Second, MacPhail at least approached the mess with a plan, such as the additions of Tejada/Atkins to serve as stop-gaps this past season. Now, that failed utterly, but at least he had a plan AND also acknowledges that the plan didn't work.

EDIT: And Angelos will not fire MacPhail. The only way I see MacPhail leaving is when he decides to leave on his own.

He could be promoted to a higher status with the club - overseeing all of the operations within the organization, like a CEO.

Right now he's only the head of Baseball Ops.

So out of everything presented, this is the only point you can respond to?

So out of everything presented, this is the only point you can respond to?

Well I've been over the other stuff before.

1. MacPhail should have realized the players weren't achieving their potential with Trembley. He had an opportunity to replace him not once, but 3 times. And the talent that is succeeding under MacPhail was mostly assembled by his predecessors.

2. His "plan" stunk from the start. Atkins and Tejada were not sure things to begin with, and certainly not the type of hitters the Orioles younger players needed to support them and thrive.

Well I've been over the other stuff before.

1. MacPhail should have realized the players weren't achieving their potential with Trembley. He had an opportunity to replace him not once, but 3 times. And the talent that is succeeding under MacPhail was mostly assembled by his predecessors.

2. His "plan" stunk from the start. Atkins and Tejada were not sure things to begin with, and certainly not the type of hitters the Orioles younger players needed to support them and thrive.

:bs:

This is pure crap.

I guess Jones, Pie, Uehara, Patterson, Matusz, Wieters, Arrieta, Albers, and Scott aren't succeeding that much.

You ever think perhaps it may help if you read your posts out loud before putting them on public display? Yeesh.

If he doesn't return he deserves a great big congratulations for a job well done.

Andy's offseasons have been poor, but he has a chance this year to do something meaningful. The article didn't say MacPhal was not going to be extended, just that discussing one before his contract was up was not in his plans.

You ever think perhaps it may help if you read your posts out loud before putting them on public display? Yeesh.

If he doesn't return he deserves a great big congratulations for a job well done.

Whoa there...no need for a hyperbole duel.

The jury is still out on MacPhail, but I'm inclined to think he's done a poor job thus far. His FA decisions have been s---, though his trades have been solid. Moreover, the minor league system hasn't shown any signs of providing a talent pipeline that the O's will almost certainly need going forward (in order to become and stay competitive in the East). And I'm not even going to get into his scouting philosophies, or lack thereof...

Archived