Alex Wells

Fred Manfraud

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iron

JOB WELL(S) DONE: Australian left-hander Alex Wells pitched a scoreless six innings in route to his first win of his minor league career. Wells was able to escape jams in the second and third innings to maintain the shutout. He ended the day with three strikeouts and did not let up a walk.
birds

6 shutout innings in his second start.

Anyone have a scouting report?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">LHP Alex Wells (19, signed from Australia last year) last night with Aberdeen - 88-91 FB, 71-73 CB, 82-84 CH <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Reggie (@gopherballs) <a href="https://twitter.com/gopherballs/status/746011299063042048">June 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

o

18 OUTS: 6 Groundouts, 5 Lineouts (Including 1 Double Play, 3 Strikeouts, 1 Popout, 1 Flyout, 1 Thrown Out at Home Plate

ALEXANDER MICHAEL WELLS O (vs. Advanced Rookie League-Auburn, 6/22)

IP:. 6

H:;; 7 ll(7 Singles)

R:l) 0

BB: 0

SO: 3

Pitches: 70 (51 Strikes, 19 Balls)

2016 ERA: 1.64 (Advanced Rookie League-Aberdeen)

PITCHES BY INNING

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

19 (14 Strikes, 5 Balls)

12 (91 Strikes, 3 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

61 (51 Strikes, 1 Balls)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">LHP Alex Wells (19, signed from Australia last year) last night with Aberdeen - 88-91 FB, 71-73 CB, 82-84 CH <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Reggie (@gopherballs) <a href="https://twitter.com/gopherballs/status/746011299063042048">June 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank you - that'll do for a lefty that's been described as "projectable".

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-notes-ambidextrous-cowgill-lawries-knuckler-aussie-oriole-more/

Alex Wells is half of an out-of-the-ordinary story. The 19-year-old native of New South Wales, Australia is a left-handed pitcher in the Baltimore Orioles organization. His identical twin brother, Lachlan Wells, is a left-handed pitcher in the Minnesota Twins organization. Each is bespectacled and gave up cricket for baseball, ultimately on another continent.

“There’s not really much to know about me as a baseball player,” responded Alex Wells when I asked him about his game. “I just get in there and get my job done, and then get out. That’s basically it.”

There’s more to it, of course. Wells isn’t overpowering — he tops out at 91 — but he does show a good feel for pitching. In three starts for the short-season Aberdeen IronBirds, he’s allowed three runs in 18 innings. He’s fanned 13 and walked just one.

The Wells brothers were nine years old when they became enamored by baseball. They saw a game on TV and “Started playing straightaway.” Alex considers baseball “a little tougher to play” than cricket, and the reason might surprise you.

“The crowd is right on top of you,” he told me. “With cricket, they’re out there; it’s about sixty meters to the fans. Here, you have to try to shut out the crowd if they’re hassling you. Sometimes I feed off it — I enjoy a bit of the crowd giving it to me — but most of the time I try to shut it off and focus on the glove.”

Culture shock is inevitable when you move halfway across the world as a teenager. Wells isn’t daunted by his new environs, but he misses Down Under.

“It’s a big change to be here and not in Australia,” said Wells. “I’m enjoying it, but Australia is a nice country. You can’t beat home.”

Also a quick bit from Buck about pitchers in the HR derby.

For a 19 year old Australian - I think this is pretty exciting. This guy hasn't gotten the same kind of coaching and experience as a Western Hemisphere player. To make Aberdeen and start off so well is really encouraging.

o

77% of Wells' pitches were strikes !!! ) :eektf:

21 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 6 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts

ALEXANDER MICHAEL WELLS O (vs. Advanced Rookie League-Connecticut, 6/27)

IP:. 7

H:;; 5 ll(1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB:)0

SO:)6

Pitches: 82 (63 Strikes, 19 Balls)

2016 ERA: 1.50 (Advanced Rookie League-Aberdeen)

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (71 Strikes, 2 Balls)

10 (81 Strikes, 2 Balls)

16 (10 Strikes, 6 Balls)

91 (81 Strikes, 1 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 2 Balls)

14 (12 Strikes, 2 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

Archived