What do we get for FA's that leave?

1968_bills_fan

I understand that if we extend a qualifying offer, then if the player signs with another team, they lose their first round draft pick and we get an extra pick between the first and second rounds. Do we get any compensation for a free agent that leaves the team and goes to another? If so, how is the compensation decided?:cool:

I understand that if we extend a qualifying offer, then if the player signs with another team, they lose their first round draft pick and we get an extra pick between the first and second rounds. Do we get any compensation for a free agent that leaves the team and goes to another? If so, how is the compensation decided?:cool:

They do not receive anything for a player that doesn't get the qualifying offer.

And, the QO system may be narrowed in the new CBA, which isn't agreed to yet but which will govern this offseason.

Is this true? Isn't the deadline to offer a QO shortly after the end of the World Series?

So we have to decide whether or not to offer one based on rules that could change in a couple of months?

I have a question: Can we make a trade "today" ?.

Can we trade Pedro Alvarez to a team like the White Sox that are looking for a L/H DH (or could use one). IF, Alvarez does not sign, he is still a F/A. We could get something like Intl Slot money and if he signs it could be a PTBNL.

I think MLB frowns on any type of wheeling and dealing, taking attentions off teams in the playoffs.

I have a question: Can we make a trade "today" ?.

Can we trade Pedro Alvarez to a team like the White Sox that are looking for a L/H DH (or could use one). IF, Alvarez does not sign, he is still a F/A. We could get something like Intl Slot money and if he signs it could be a PTBNL.

I don't think so... the team getting him can't even offer him the QO

Last year we just got a competitive balance pick (#74)- we were 9th(?) out of 12. I doubt we will get one this year.

Why not? Isn't it based predominantly on market size? Has the Orioles' market increased? Or am I wrong about that and is it based on something else?

Archived