Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, atomic said:

Even if he was having a terrible year why would you be angry if he used his no trade rights? Makes zero sense.  I just find it weird that people are angry and saying ridiculous things In This thread.  At the end of the day it's his decision.  He is allowed to do what he thinks is best for him and his family.  

I don't think people are angry at AJ, I know I'm not. I'm sad for him because he made a decision to play with a last team instead of a pennant contender (yes I know the Phillies faded, maybe AJ would have made a difference), and also because he seems to not realize how bad his off season offers are going to be. He mentioned wanting to be a regular and wanting to be on a contender. That opportunity is not going to be available and apparently his inner circle (agent, family, etc.) haven't for some reason leveled with him. Makes me sad for AJ not angry at him.

6 hours ago, atomic said:

People say some crazy stuff In this thread.  But if Adam accepted QO it would only be a 1 year deal.  How does a 1 year deal deserve such hyperbole?

Because offering him the QO would be colossally stupid, even dumber than when they offered it to Weiters.

1.  He'll be lucky to get $6-$8M AAV as a FA, and he'll probably only get a 1 or 2 year deal.

2.  They're rebuilding and it's lunacy to have a declining veteran on a $17M QO, especially when they're stuck with Davis @ $23M

3.  They've already said they're cutting payroll dramatically, and their have been rumblings of financial trouble, but by all means

Obviously my post did have some hyperbole.  Kinda comes with the territory with message boards/fan forums.  But seriously, offering him the QO would be idiotic, and if they did, I'd have to at the very least seriously question the fitness of the person to run the team that made to the decision to do so.

I supported Adam's decision to not accept the trade. Becoming the weak-side of a platoon for two months instead of remaining the starting center fielder with the O's could have undercut his market value. Maybe it was a bad choice, maybe not. Unlike the rest of us, Adam Jones is not perfect.

Since making that decision, public opinion seems to have turned against AJ. I think that's a shame. During his career in Baltimore, I Adam Jones has done more for the Orioles than the Orioles did for him. I will always appreciate him as one of my favorite Orioles of all time (I attended my first game at Memorial Stadium in 1959) and rank him second only to Paul Blair as the best center fielder in team history. 

I hope the O's give AJ10 a fitting tribute during the final homestand. He doesn't belong in center field anymore, and there's really no place for him on a rebuilding O's team, but I will always think highly of Adam Jones and appreciate everything he's done for the Orioles and the city of Baltimore.

11 minutes ago, esmd said:

Because offering him the QO would be colossally stupid, even dumber than when they offered it to Weiters.

1.  He'll be lucky to get $6-$8M AAV as a FA, and he'll probably only get a 1 or 2 year deal.

2.  They're rebuilding and it's lunacy to have a declining veteran on a $17M QO, especially when they're stuck with Davis @ $23M

3.  They've already said they're cutting payroll dramatically, and their have been rumblings of financial trouble, but by all means

Obviously my post did have some hyperbole.  Kinda comes with the territory with message boards/fan forums.  But seriously, offering him the QO would be idiotic, and if they did, I'd have to at the very least seriously question the fitness of the person to run the team that made to the decision to do so.

Have you read anything remotely serious that the Club was even considering this?

Everything they had done, has shown me, they want a cheap payroll, while they rebuild.

Doing the QO, doesnt make any sense.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Have you read anything remotely serious that the Club was even considering this?

Everything they had done, has shown me, they want a cheap payroll, while they rebuild.

Doing the QO, doesnt make any sense.

No, not at all.  I'd be shocked if they did - even they're not foolish enough to do it.  It only came up because someone earlier in the thread asked.

31 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I don't think people are angry at AJ, I know I'm not. I'm sad for him because he made a decision to play with a last team instead of a pennant contender (yes I know the Phillies faded, maybe AJ would have made a difference), and also because he seems to not realize how bad his off season offers are going to be. He mentioned wanting to be a regular and wanting to be on a contender. That opportunity is not going to be available and apparently his inner circle (agent, family, etc.) haven't for some reason leveled with him. Makes me sad for AJ not angry at him.

I don’t know if it’s impossible that Adam ends up the starting RF on a contender.    The Diamondbacks have a .602 OPS in RF this year, the Phillies .705, the Indians .718, the Rockies .759 (which is about equivalent to .720 if you exclude the Coors effect).  And the Rockies were even worse than that in LF.   I haven’t studied what other corner OF’s are available this winter (though Markakis and McCutchen are), or what these teams have in their MiL pipelines, but Adam could land sonewhere.    I don’t think he really helped his bargaining position by staying with the O’s vs. accepting the Phillies trade, though.    He’s only started 34 of 45 games for us since the trade and his performance has been mediocre (.721 OPS).    

11 hours ago, theocean said:

I really doubt smart front offices put a lot of stock into small-sample-size playoff performances. 

Adam Jones has been consistent in this league long enough that front offices know who he is. Whether that results in a long term deal, I don’t know - but all this nonsense about how he is selfish for refusing a trade or how he is somehow less of a man for refusing to split up his family is in poor taste.

Look, I don't know if you are just a fan that doesn't want to accept what Adam Jones himself said, but the fact is that Adam Jones said the reason he did not want to be traded was because he did not want to be looked at as a platoon rightfielder going into free agency.

He didn't say anything about "splitting up his family" or "charity work" but he did say exactly that on record.

He literally said this was all about himself. That is the exact definition of being selfish. I really don't understand how anyone doesn't understand this.

I have no ax to grind with Jones. I liked him as a player for a long time and think he's done a lot of great things for the team and the community, but I call them as I see them and yes, Adam Jones' reason for denying his trade was due to selfish reasons alone.

45 minutes ago, esmd said:

Somehow #3 got cut off.  'But by all means, let's offer him the QO and throw away millions that can be better spent on scouting, development, or just paying down sunk costs like Davis' contract.'

There is no way any sane organisation is going to put a $17 million QO on a 33yr old when they are trying to cut payroll and rebuild. 

Anyone who thinks otherwise is thinking with their hearts and not their minds. I get that fans have their favorites and they are not going always going to think clearly when it comes to their favorite players, but there is a better chance of John Angelos picking up the phone and asking me to take over this organization as there is for the Orioles to offer Jones a QO. :D

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know if it’s impossible that Adam ends up the starting RF on a contender.    The Diamondbacks have a .602 OPS in RF this year, the Phillies .705, the Indians .718, the Rockies .759 (which is about equivalent to .720 if you exclude the Coors effect).  And the Rockies were even worse than that in LF.   I haven’t studied what other corner OF’s are available this winter (though Markakis and McCutchen are), or what these teams have in their MiL pipelines, but Adam could land sonewhere.    I don’t think he really helped his bargaining position by staying with the O’s vs. accepting the Phillies trade, though.    He’s only started 34 of 45 games for us since the trade and his performance has been mediocre (.721 OPS).    

I think there is little doubt that Adam Jones will find a job next year and might even be as a starter, but he's not getting a large three-year or more deal from anyone.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is no way any sane organisation is going to put a $17 million QO on a 33yr old when they are trying to cut payroll and rebuild. 

Anyone who thinks otherwise is thinking with their hearts and not their minds. I get that fans have their favorites and they are not going always going to think clearly when it comes to their favorite players, but there is a better chance of John Angelos picking up the phone and asking me to take over this organization as there is for the Orioles to offer Jones a QO. :D

I agree, and I sure hope we're both right.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think there is little doubt that Adam Jones will find a job next year and might even be as a starter, but he's not getting a large three-year or more deal from anyone.

Agreed, but what would you call “large?”    

Archived