vs. YANKEES 8/26

OFFNY

They actually look like they're slacking?

I'm assuming you're listening on the radio if you're asking this question. They look like old men playing an exhibition game... they look like they could care less if they won this game... they're making errors on half effort plays and it doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming you're listening on the radio if you're asking this question. They look like old men playing an exhibition game... they look like they could care less if they won this game... they're making errors on half effort plays and it doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest.

Sometimes I wonder if certain games are intentionally rigged to make the fans feel good about certain major events.

Ripken hitting a homer in his last all star game.

O's getting a triumphant victory against our arch-nemesis, at home, riding high off of a win streak in honor of a fallen comrade.

Flanny at Memorial Stadium...? No, just kidding. That was the real deal. :o Flanny was the real deal.

BUT, it still makes me wonder about certain situations that look almost too good to be true. It's pretty obvious to me that the Yanks aren't trying. The question is why? They need to win, to contend. They might end up playing the Sox in the playoffs regardless, but it's not like they would still be in second place in the AL East if they lose for the rest of the season. They have to win at least as often as the Orioles have won in July and August. And of course their upcoming series against the Sox counts "double", because a loss sets them back an entire game, compared to a loss against another team which only sets them back half a game.

I can't come up with a rational reason why the Yanks would be letting the O's win. Either they're going to come back like b*@#*#s and beat us anyway (similar to what they did to the A's) or they're possibly being told to roll over and lose.

I have a feeling this is due to Burnett.

Sometimes I wonder if certain games are intentionally rigged to make the fans feel good about certain major events.

Ripken hitting a homer in his last all star game.

O's getting a triumphant victory against our arch-nemesis, at home, riding high off of a win streak in honor of a fallen comrade.

Flanny at Memorial Stadium...? No, just kidding. That was the real deal. :o Flanny was the real deal.

BUT, it still makes me wonder about certain situations that look almost too good to be true. It's pretty obvious to me that the Yanks aren't trying. The question is why? They need to win, to contend. They might end up playing the Sox in the playoffs regardless, but it's not like they would still be in second place in the AL East if they lose for the rest of the season. They have to win at least as often as the Orioles have won in July and August.

If you think, with all the things swirling around about Burnett, that he's not trying to win this game... then I dunno what to tell you.

Yeah, I sd so earlier. Thanks for the description!

Rare triple by Roenicke scores Demper and Dauer.

If you think, with all the things swirling around about Burnett, that he's not trying to win this game... then I dunno what to tell you.

The other Yankees don't care because Burnett is pitching, whined getting pulled last time, and needs to be taught a lesson. I bet this is the last start for AJ this season.

Burnett's just one guy. If an SP has an off night and you still want to win, you give him the hook -- if not at the 4-run mark, at least by the 6-run mark. Now we've tagged him for 9. It's also on the manager after a certain threshold, because the manager has to explicitly choose not to go to the bullpen. It's not like they'll need their bullpen when their other, less-terrible SPs face us and go 8 innings.

Aside from that, Tommy Hunter is no ace, and the Yanks position players are no slouch. It's just highly improbable that this game would have gone on this long without any sort of Yanks comeback against this mediocre pitcher. If we're going to assume that every player is trying as hard as they can, then Tommy is having an extremely improbably outstanding night, at the same time as the Yanks position players are really off their game. It's just very, very unlikely.

Archived