Astro's move to AL finalized?

sangar

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marketing inter-Texas rivalry is smart. Texas is a huge market.

Can we dump the 6 division alignment? It makes no sense for baseball.

They are going to two 15 team divisions and an extra wild card. That has to also mean a balanced schedule among the teams in each league. Can't wait to watch those 14th place Birds!

Relevant paragraph from the article:

This deal, however, figures to be especially historic, as baseball positions itself for the 21st century. Among other things, it will pave the way for realignment of the sport into two 15-team leagues, adding a second wild-card team in each league, spreading interleague play throughout all six months of the regular season and making significant changes to the draft, free agency and the so-called "Competitive Balance Tax."

Which doesn't say anything about the divisons. I don't think eliminating the 3 division system is currently on the table, even though it would be great...for the Orioles.

Yea, the article says two 15 team leagues, not divisions.

Pretty sure the current divisional format isn't going away anytime soon, probably 5 years at least.

Sucks for us, but as Buck likes to say, we can't sit around and cry about it. Tampa and Toronto are still going out and doing things the right way, why can't we?

Oh yea, i remembered.........that......

Which doesn't say anything about the divisons. I don't think eliminating the 3 division system is currently on the table, even though it would be great...for the Orioles.

Yeah, no way they would shake it up that much. I think divisions are here to stay.

Not a fan if the season long interleague play. Two teams will have their opening day as an interleague matchup. I do like the even number of teams in each league, but would prefer to have contraction of two teams.

I don't really care either way about the interleague, except that it necessitates weird scheduling and probably unbalanced scheduling. I'd like expansion to get to two 16-team leagues, with no divisions.

I don't really care either way about the interleague, except that it necessitates weird scheduling and probably unbalanced scheduling. I'd like expansion to get to two 16-team leagues, with no divisions.

Where in NY and the Boston area are the new teams going to play while the local taxpayers are being bled to pay for new stadiums?

No divisions is preferable.

Pennant winners gets a buy in the playoffs first round.

Each league gets 3 WC teams. 8 team playoff.

I wouldn't be against some form of post season for the next group of 8 teams either. An NIT of baseball if you will. Or a champions league vs. Mexican, Caribbean, and Japanese teams. I'm just spitballing this idea as a way to keep more teams relevant for longer.

The novelty of interleague play wore off after the first season, so I really don't care if every day will feature at least one interleague series. The only downside I see is if a team in a pennant race finishes the season with an interleague series or two. I can see where that can have an affect from a competitive standpoint (AL team not getting to use their DH with a season on the line). Of course if MLB always schedules the Orioles and Pirates to play a home-and-home series for the last 6 games every year, I guess it won't be a problem.

Where in NY and the Boston area are the new teams going to play while the local taxpayers are being bled to pay for new stadiums?

Brooklyn and Mexico City. The Bridegrooms find some government or rich person in NYC to foot the bill to bring back the pride and nostalgia that left with the Dodgers. And the Red Devils can play at Foro Sol. I've always wanted to see baseball played at an altitude a half mile higher than Denver.

I wouldn't be against some form of post season for the next group of 8 teams either. An NIT of baseball if you will. Or a champions league vs. Mexican, Caribbean, and Japanese teams. I'm just spitballing this idea as a way to keep more teams relevant for longer.

I'm a huge proponent of secondary championships/tournaments/trophies and the like. Situations like the Orioles, Royals, and Pirates become less absurd and maddening if they have something other than the World Series to play for. And it would bring the joy percentage back to historical norms. Pre expansion your team could expect to win once per 16 years. At least in theory. Now it's down to one in 30.

I'd be in favor of limiting the regular season to ~120 games, and having other things going on coincident/interspersed with the season. Like regional championships (say, a round-robin tournament between the Nats/O's/Pirates/Phillies), or tournaments with Japanese or Taiwanese or Korean or Mexican teams.

Of course this is baseball, so I'm risking a burning at the stake for bringing this up...

Archived