Would you trade Brandon Snyder to get Koji back at $4 mm for next year?

Frobby

Would you trade Brandon Snyder to get Koji back for $4 mm for next year?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Brandon Snyder to get Koji back for $4 mm for next year?

A starter that the O's would get in trade as a salary dump will probably cost them 7-10M in salary. The 4M they don't use for Koji is just part of those dollars. With Strop, Phillips. Patton, Erye, Gregg and maybe Johnson in the pen plus some of the starters that don't make the rotation, I don't see the O's spending 4M on Koji. They may spend on a couple of more starters and maybe a closer IMO.
'

1) You aren't going to get a starter worth anything for that.

2) You just named a bunch of pitchers who we really have no idea how they will perform over a full season in the pen, despite how much you want to overrate them already.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm your huckleberry. What is Texas going to do with Snyder ?

Nothing. He replaces Chris Davis as their AAAA first baseman. This would be more about Texas not wanting to pay Koji $4 mm next year after his poor performance for them. Based on the poll results, it seems most people think Koji is worth $4 mm despite his late-season struggles, and I'm guessing that is how Texas would see it.

'

1) You aren't going to get a starter worth anything for that.

2) You just named a bunch of pitchers who we really have no idea how they will perform over a full season in the pen, despite how much you want to overrate them already.

The O's have to go into the season with a pitching staff that is 18 to 20 deep to allow for injuries and poor performance.

1. Guthrie or who he is traded for.

2. Britton - Has option

3. Arrieta - Has option

4. Matusz - Has Option

5. Hunter - Has Option

6. Johnson

7. ?

8. ?

9. Tillman - Could be traded to a team with a bigger home park. Hs Option

Whoever doesn't make the rotation is available to make the pen.

10. Strop

11. Patton

12. Phillips

13. Erye

14. Gregg - Hope he is traded

15. Simon

16. Berken - Probably projected for Norfolk going into ST but could win a spot. Has option

17. Rapada

18. Closer needed????

19. Reyes - Might stay as reliever - would have to win a spot in ST

20. Bascom- Could be a reliever in the 2nd half

21. Bergesen - May be Traded

22 Jaku - to be released, might be signed to a minor league contract

23. Viola - to be released

24. VandenHurk - DFA'd - may be signed to a minor league contract

Nothing. He replaces Chris Davis as their AAAA first baseman. This would be more about Texas not wanting to pay Koji $4 mm next year after his poor performance for them. Based on the poll results, it seems most people think Koji is worth $4 mm despite his late-season struggles, and I'm guessing that is how Texas would see it.
So Texas would do it as a salary dump, despite what the poll majority says about his worth?

So Texas would do it as a salary dump, despite what the poll majority says about his worth?

That was the idea behind the poll. The poll results convince me that Texas wouldn't do it. But it seemed plausible to me that, if Texas doesn't think highly enough of Koji to put him on the WS roster, maybe they don't want the obligation to pay him $4 mm next year. Including the post-season, Koji has had a 6.05 ERA since being traded to Texas, and has been a gopher ball machine. So, I still think it is plausible that Texas will want to say sayonara to Koji, but my guess is that they can get more value in return than a Brandon Snyder. Presumably, they won't get as much in return as what they gave up to get Koji when his ERA was 1.72 and they were desperate for bullpen help.

That was the idea behind the poll. The poll results convince me that Texas wouldn't do it. But it seemed plausible to me that, if Texas doesn't think highly enough of Koji to put him on the WS roster, maybe they don't want the obligation to pay him $4 mm next year. Including the post-season, Koji has had a 6.05 ERA since being traded to Texas, and has been a gopher ball machine. So, I still think it is plausible that Texas will want to say sayonara to Koji, but my guess is that they can get more value in return than a Brandon Snyder. Presumably, they won't get as much in return as what they gave up to get Koji when his ERA was 1.72 and they were desperate for bullpen help.

More likely is that Texas realizes that Koji is just in a slump or has a minor mechanical issue that makes him risky in a short series but is just a blip on the screen over the course of a long season. They are too smart to dump him because of a few bad appearances.

Just curious. Koji didn't perform well for the Rangers, and they may not want his $4 mm salary next year. Considering his success for us, would you want him back at that salary, if we didn't have to give up a significant long-term piece to get him? I picked Brandon Snyder but I suppose it could have been anyone who isn't likely to be a starter on this team in the future.

From what I have read, both Neftali & Alexi are moving from the bullpen, to the rotation next year, especially if/when Wilson leaves. That would really leave Mike Adams as the top bullpen arm so I doubt the Rangers trade Koji. I don't think they need the salary relief, especially with Wilson most likely coming off the books.

The O's have to go into the season with a pitching staff that is 18 to 20 deep to allow for injuries and poor performance.

1. Guthrie or who he is traded for.

2. Britton - Has option

3. Arrieta - Has option

4. Matusz - Has Option

5. Hunter - Has Option

6. Johnson

7. ?

8. ?

9. Tillman - Could be traded to a team with a bigger home park. Hs Option

Whoever doesn't make the rotation is available to make the pen.

10. Strop

11. Patton

12. Phillips

13. Erye

14. Gregg - Hope he is traded

15. Simon

16. Berken - Probably projected for Norfolk going into ST but could win a spot. Has option

17. Rapada

18. Closer needed????

19. Reyes - Might stay as reliever - would have to win a spot in ST

20. Bascom- Could be a reliever in the 2nd half

21. Bergesen - May be Traded

22 Jaku - to be released, might be signed to a minor league contract

23. Viola - to be released

24. VandenHurk - DFA'd - may be signed to a minor league contract

And none of this has anything to do with getting Koji.

For several seasons we've lamented AM's inability (or reluctance) to trade players when their value is high. This time he got it right and now 4 out of 5 people want to bring Koji back - an aging veteran whose best days are far more likely to be behind him than not. Which of course would be another sin AM has been roundly criticized for.

Strange days.

For several seasons we've lamented AM's inability (or reluctance) to trade players when their value is high. This time he got it right and now 4 out of 5 people want to bring Koji back - an aging veteran whose best days are far more likely to be behind him than not. Which of course would be another sin AM has been roundly criticized for.

Strange days.

What does AM have to do with anything here?

BTW, he didn't get it right..He should have looked for a higher ceiling prospect in the deal.

No,I'd rather not have any RP making that much money. Give the chance to perform to a young failed starter, or some minor league guys and use that money somewhere else.

I am of course in agreement.

Do you think there is any chance at all that the O's do not add an expensive relief pitcher to the roster? Look at the past history, both of Buck and the front office.

I would rather see Koji back then this years version of Gregg/Gonzo/Baez ect ect.

Archived