It's Time For the Percolator Part Deux (DD's comments at GM meeting)

BrunoCherrytown

The success of the Orioles' offseason hinges, in large part, on their ability to add to the pitching staff. But at the General Manager Meetings in Milwaukee today, newly-appointed GM Dan Duquette suggested he'll let the market develop before obtaining pitching reinforcements.

"Everybody else is chasing it, too," Duquette told MLBTR. "We have to wait for the sharks to feed and then we'll wait to see what's left over."

here

Sounds like a new take on a familiar theme in Birdland...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if there are any Omar Daal's to be had this year? You know...the guys that like to leave a game winning 4-2 instead of coming into a game winning 4-2. Or was it leaving a game in the 2nd inning losing 7-2? One of those types. I forget which.

You really expected the O's to be in on Wilson and Buehrle?

I'd like to know there is a direction. Are we building around our so called core (as mentioned earlier today)? If so then at some point you have to stop waiting and yes get some top guys. If not then blow it up and rebuild. To be in between is insane, we have sat on this fence so many times before.

If we are not going to win with this "core" than find one we can win with.

When I read that I thought I could hear a certain poster's head exploding from hundreds of miles away.

Seriously, though, this is the reality for this franchise right now. The only way you are getting C.J. Wilson to come to Baltimore is by massively overpaying for him, and I'm sorry but that would be a stupid route to take. We should be looking for undervalued arms that can eat innings and take some pressure off the younger pitchers. If that means more short-term deals to middling veterans so be it, only a fool could think the Orioles will be ready to compete in 2012.

I'm not liking the recent comments from Duq. First, he's happy with our foundation up the middle (translation: not trading Jones, praying to God that BRob miraculously recovers). Now, he's going to wait to see the "leftovers" on the pitching market. He really does sound like McFail.

The best thing you can take from this is that he's not going to overspend on guys like Buerhle (like he would ever come here), so he'll be investing more in the farm system.

Archived