Tampa/Minnesota Blockbuster!? Young for Garza

Crazysilver03

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a nice win/win type of deal. Minnesota might end up being declared the "winner" of the deal when the deal is looked in retrospect 5 years from now but I think this deal could potentially have a more positive impact on the Rays franchise than it does for the Twins by filling needs.

Who has the better chance to reach their potential?

I think the Twins win the deal as well but I do think it is close and I do think it is a good trade for both sides.

Garza may have a better chance to reach his potential, but I think Young has a better chance to reach the level that is Garza's potential.

It's a good idea by the DRay's, just don't like how it was executed.

Who has the better chance to reach their potential?

I think the Twins win the deal as well but I do think it is close and I do think it is a good trade for both sides.

Reliever Eduardo Morlan was traded from the Twins to the Rays in a six-player deal.

The change from the original deal is Morlan subbing in for Juan Rincon, due to Rincon's unfavorable injury reports. We were pretty neutral on the deal before, but this swings it over to the Rays' side. Healthy or not, Rincon wasn't a great bet to be worth what he was due in arbitration. Morlan, on the other hand, is one of the top five or 10 relief prospects in baseball. The 21-year-old had a 3.10 ERA and a 99/20 K/BB ratio in 69 2/3 innings at Single-A Fort Myers and Double-A New Britain last season. Maybe the Twins would have been foolish to let this deal fall apart over a relief prospect, but if the Rays wanted Rincon in the first place, there should have been a better compromise available.

With Morlan included instead of Rincon, this deal is in favor of the Rays.

I like this analysis:

The Twins still get the top property in the deal, but with Morlan's inclusion over Juan Rincon, Tampa Bay receives Nos. 2, 3 and 4.

Either way though, good trade for both teams. The Rays fans seem upset though. Yes Young is going to be good but you have to trade value to get value.

With Morlan included instead of Rincon, this deal is in favor of the Rays.

I like this analysis:

Either way though, good trade for both teams. The Rays fans seem upset though. Yes Young is going to be good but you have to trade value to get value.

With that change, it brings it pretty close to even imo.

I would expect themm to be trading Crawford before Young. Crawford is going to be expensive real soon and they traded away their best young outfielder for a VERY high ceiling pitcher who has yet to have much sustained success in his limited time in the majors.

Crawford is signed through 2010. No doubt he does not have the upside of Young, but I don't think Young's rookie season did much to make the team think he was the guy to build around.

I also continue to think people are underestimating Garza. It wasn't long ago that he was considered a top 5 pitching prospect, he is only 24 and pitched in the HomerDome before. I agree Young is the best talent in the deal, but Tampa filled its 3 biggest needs and did so by giving up a position of strength. I don't think they will regret the trade no matter what becomes of Young.

With that change, it brings it pretty close to even imo.

Yea, that kid sounds like he could be very good and the DRays have had all sorts of BP problems.

I do agree that trading Crawford makes more sense though.

But if he is a fan favorite and the DRays have questions concerning Young, I can understand why they are keeping Crawford instead.

Well when you get the #1 pick in the draft 7 years in a row, your bound to have a good team eventually.

Yeah and the real test comes for Tampa Bay's sustainability of winning. If they start to win and move up that means less money from the revenue sharing. Also, as their players approach free agency will they make the right decisions at the right times to trade players that can help them stay competitive? Or make the right long term signings that don't ruin payroll flexibility. The only thing they've proven so far is that if you suck bad enough you get free money and the best players in the draft.

Archived