Beer in the clubhouse

connja

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was listening to 105.7 this morning and they had Brittany Ghiroli (i believe) talking about this. She said there is no rule against it but also insinuated that its never been a problem. She mentioned Kevin Millwood would have a frosted mug ready to be utilized at his locker after a game which I found amusing. She also mentioned Joe Maddon stating that a beer ban is dumb (in much different words of course)

http://deadspin.com/5888660/bostons-clubhouse-beer-ban-is-a-victory-for-stupid-people-everywhere

Good writeup from Deadspin. So, you know, language and the like.

The Globe's authoritative s***-shoveling upon the 2011 Red Sox has defined a Boston offseason that in other, quieter times would be notable for things that actually matter. Say, a championship-building GM leaving in a cloud of acrimony, or an owner admitting, then backtracking from, the fact that he didn't really support that huge free agent signing. These are important things that might affect a team! Let's ignore them, because beer and fried chicken.

He mentions that eighteen teams have bans. Among those without bans are the Rays, who obviously saw major repercussions from their policy last season :P

Depends on what you mean by at work. I've worked places where it was OK to have a drink there at the office after the workday was over. I've never worked anywhere where it was OK to drink while working.

I work at a military installation where, long ago, there were locals with connections to the Bud distributor who'd go get a truck full of beer and drive it on base for after-hours crab feasts and the like. Of course that's now verboten, and has been for 20-30 years. Not quite the same, but the golf club house on the Pax River Naval Air Station had a vending machine that dispensed beer as late as the 80s or 90s.

Sometimes I think life might have been a little more fun before professionalism sanded off the rough edges. Baseball has been in an accelerated era of increased professionalism for about 25 years. The game on the field has gotten markedly better, but there are fewer openly bizarre things that go on, and I lament that often.

Depends on what you mean by at work. I've worked places where it was OK to have a drink there at the office after the workday was over. I've never worked anywhere where it was OK to drink while working.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your sentiment here 100%. I don't think a guy should need a drink for the 3 hours during a baseball game.

BUT...I believe the allegations were made against starters drinking on their off days. Granted they are on the roster and are eligible to play if they come in. But I think there is a bit of a distinction if they aren't going to play somewhat.

Also a 162 game grind is a tough one. And I imagine even the chicken wing eating, beer guzzling guys work pretty darn hard before games. I'm guessing bullpen sessions, lifting sessions, film sessions etc. all go on. If it helps keeps guys loose, and interested in the game and focused. I guess I don't see a harm in a beer. But I also don't see a need.

I work at a military installation where, long ago, there were locals with connections to the Bud distributor who'd go get a truck full of beer and drive it on base for after-hours crab feasts and the like. Of course that's now verboten, and has been for 20-30 years. Not quite the same, but the golf club house on the Pax River Naval Air Station had a vending machine that dispensed beer as late as the 80s or 90s.

Sometimes I think life might have been a little more fun before professionalism sanded off the rough edges. Baseball has been in an accelerated era of increased professionalism for about 25 years. The game on the field has gotten markedly better, but there are fewer openly bizarre things that go on, and I lament that often.

I can recall beer vending machines in the BOQ in 1989 at Rhode Island. It was much worse in the late 70's when I first went in the Navy when you were expected to be an alcoholic. You're right that the military has long promoted a culture of drunkeness, but those times have changed. Some things from the good 'ole days weren't actually all that good imo.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your sentiment here 100%. I don't think a guy should need a drink for the 3 hours during a baseball game.

BUT...I believe the allegations were made against starters drinking on their off days. Granted they are on the roster and are eligible to play if they come in. But I think there is a bit of a distinction if they aren't going to play somewhat.

Also a 162 game grind is a tough one. And I imagine even the chicken wing eating, beer guzzling guys work pretty darn hard before games. I'm guessing bullpen sessions, lifting sessions, film sessions etc. all go on. If it helps keeps guys loose, and interested in the game and focused. I guess I don't see a harm in a beer. But I also don't see a need.

There's a reason the place they spend their time at work isn't referred to as an office, or a conference room, or a locker room, but a clubhouse.

There's a reason the place they spend their time at work isn't referred to as an office, or a conference room, or a locker room, but a clubhouse.

I guess I've become a prude over the years. Seen too many alcohol incidents I guess. I don't think a ML team should be providing beer to their players in any way shape or form. As far as I'm concerned, the "clubhouse" is part of the players work place.

Whatever they get paid a ton more than most people working in an office. They shouldn't be in the clubhouse at all during the games. They should be in the dugout cheering their teammates on. And they should be watching the opposing teams batters to see what works against them and what doesn't.

Archived