Adam Jones related....Does anybody know

Roll Tide

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
First I'm not a big Jones fan. I was looking at the computer last night and he has 4 HRs and 5 RBIs. He hits either 4 or 5 th in the lineup. He basically must be doing terrible with RISP. I get that the that the whole team is struggling but Geez this guy is said to have arrived.

Thought?

So do we think he has arrived yet? How is his clutch hitting?

So do we think he has arrived yet? How is his clutch hitting?
DATE OPP RESULT AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB AVG

05/17 @ KC W 5-3 3 1 1 0 0 1 2 1 1 0 .296

05/16 @ KC W 4-3 7 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 2 0 .295

05/15 vs NYY W 5-2 3 2 2 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 .302

05/14 vs NYY L 5-8 5 0 2 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 .295

05/13 vs TB L 8-9 5 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 .291

05/12 vs TB W 5-3 4 1 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 .294

05/11 vs TB W 4-3 4 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 .288

05/10 vs TEX L 3-7 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 .289

05/10 vs TEX W 6-5 4 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 .288

05/08 vs TEX L 3-10 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .289

I posted his last 10 games for you where he has raised his avg from .288 to .296. But I have basically Adam doesn't drive in a lot of non homer RBI. And of his 5 homers over that stretch 4 are solo. So basically he's driven in 4 (out of 9 total ) RBI from men on base over 10 games. I wasn't suggesting he was a terrible hitter/player. I don't think he's a legit #4 hitter. He may prove me wrong and I'd like to see it happen.

FYI his projected production by ESPN is 54 Homers (chances are aren't very likely he hits 50) and only 108 RBIs.

If he was worth a crap, he would have made Nick get on base in the 7th so he could get a 2 run HR.

You're actually putting words in my mouth...Not cool ...

I looked at his splits on Baseball Reference after this post and his batting average with men on base is .211 with a .648 OPS in 75 plate appearances.

With the bases empty he's a .364 hitter with 1.166 OPS in 92 plate appearances.

He's obviously been a much better hitter with nobody on base.

@ Hallas

Quote Originally Posted by Hallas View Post

I know, it only put us up by 1. The least he could do is have the courtesy to hit one out when more runners are on base.

His numbers clearly suggest that had Nick got on he likely wouldn't have hit that home run.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=jonesad01&year=&t=b

I posted his last 10 games for you where he has raised his avg from .288 to .296. But I have basically Adam doesn't drive in a lot of non homer RBI. And of his 5 homers over that stretch 4 are solo. So basically he's driven in 4 (out of 9 total ) RBI from men on base over 10 games. I wasn't suggesting he was a terrible hitter/player. I don't think he's a legit #4 hitter. He may prove me wrong and I'd like to see it happen.

FYI his projected production by ESPN is 54 Homers (chances are very likely he hits 50) and only 108 RBIs.

I would think that the odds are against Adam hitting 50 HR. That would mean he maintains his hot first quarter of the season through the rest of the season. That is a hard thing to do. Several things are likely to happen. 1) The way he plays the OF and runs the bases is very physical. He is likely to get hurt even if he stays in the lineup. Injuries probably affect his offensive production. 2) If he stays that hot the pitchers will stop throwing him strikes at some point. Make him expand the zone or take a walk. 3) He will see a lot more lefthanded relievers. His OPS splits are 663 vs lefties, 1.036 versus righties. He has a history of not hitting lefties well.

I would think that the odds are against Adam hitting 50 HR. That would mean he maintains his hot first quarter of the season through the rest of the season. That is a hard thing to do. Several things are likely to happen. 1) The way he plays the OF and runs the bases is very physical. He is likely to get hurt even if he stays in the lineup. Injuries probably affect his offensive production. 2) If he stays that hot the pitchers will stop throwing him strikes at some point. Make him expand the zone or take a walk. 3) He will see a lot more lefthanded relievers. His OPS splits are 663 vs lefties, 1.036 versus righties. He has a history of not hitting lefties well.

Got ya! sorry about the typo. I meant to add the word

(chances aren't very likely he hits 50)

FYI his projected production by ESPN is 54 Homers (chances are aren't very likely he hits 50) and only 108 RBIs.

So in your opinion, he can only be clutch if he gets hits with men on base.

Gotcha.

I looked at his splits on Baseball Reference after this post and his batting average with men on base is .211 with a .648 OPS in 75 plate appearances.

@ Hallas

His numbers clearly suggest that had Nick got on he likely wouldn't have hit that home run.

Actually, I was mocking your ridiculous post.

I still don't know how Jones ends up with such a bad dWAR. I can't remember too many times this season where I went "A better CFer would have had that ball." Now Markakis on the hand, he looks like a guy who is a below average right fielder. He looks like he's running with cement boots this year yet Markakis' (0.5) dWAR is only .1 less than Jones (0.4). I want to accept dWAR but in this situation, I just don't get it when it comes to Jones.

I still don't know how Jones ends up with such a bad dWAR. I can't remember too many times this season where I went "A better CFer would have had that ball." Now Markakis on the hand, he looks like a guy who is a below average right fielder. He looks like he's running with cement boots this year yet Markakis' (0.5) dWAR is only .1 less than Jones (0.4). I want to accept dWAR but in this situation, I just don't get it when it comes to Jones.
UZR likes Jones a lot. 4.6, second only to Bourne at 5.2 in the ML. FB not so much, they have him at -4 RS.

@ Hallas

I'm glad that Johnny has taken over Trea's role of being the pioneering Lobachevsky to the board's typically, stagnant "Euclidean" approach to statistics.

Look, statistical logic can be bent and expanded in any direction!

You can't look at it as those metrics are saying he's not good. All UZR or dWAR is saying is that a player has fielded more/fewer balls than average. That could be for any number of reasons, including an average distribution of catchable balls just didn't come Adam Jones' way. And the odds of something like that happening are much greater early in the year.

Over a long period of time those biases tend to wash out. Not always, though, and there's no way you can count on them washing out over 39 games.

Archived